Need help with component selection

More
28 Jan 2020 11:30 #155996 by Hytek
Yes, the knowledge base within these walls was one of the main factors for choosing Lcnc. I could sense the power & flexibility before I even registered :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2020 13:28 #156177 by Hytek
This is probably not the best section to post this but I didn't want to start a new thread for the sake of a link. It is a bit of a read but I think it's worth it.

www.elwood.com/dRA_EMI_Servo.pdf

More
02 Feb 2020 03:06 #156349 by JohnnyCNC

After a bit more research I have narrowed it down to a Mesa 5i25 & 7i76 combination.

If the PC you end up using has PCIe slots you also use the 6i25+7i76 combos That can open more possibilities for newer PC candidates.

More
02 Feb 2020 05:59 #156354 by Hytek
Thanks very much for the advice

After testing my way through the motherboards & stuff I have around I have settled on:
Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV motherboard
Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz
Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB @ 1866Mhz
Radeon 7470 2GB Low Profile GPU
160GB SSD
I know some of this is overkill but working with what I have laying around

Unfortunately to keep a small to form factor, (want to keep everything in the same cabinet) the motherboard only has 1 PCIe slot, which will be taken up with the graphics card. Also, I have already ordered the 5i25 & 7i76

More
02 Feb 2020 10:02 #156358 by rodw
Just going back to 4. Run Linuxcnc on startup

I just can't find a reference for you , but there is a command line switch to tell Linuxcnc to run the last config used. (Might be /l)
So you can set that up as a startup command. Alternatively you can pass an ini file as a parameter instead.

I found running the last config worked for me as I worked through hundreds of configs in my journey. It always opened the last one I was using. I also created a shortcut with this parameter that sits on the desktop.

More
02 Feb 2020 11:32 - 02 Feb 2020 11:33 #156367 by Hytek
Thanks for the info rodw.

In my many hours of researching, while I wait for my mesa delivery to arrive. I have also stumbled across some info on how PathPilot does it. Though I doubt it is as simple as it appears on these videos etc. Especially as I am pretty much a noob when it comes to Linux.

Being as the topic of motherboard was brought forward (by me) I might as well ask. When testing the parts I have laying around, I tested an Intel DH57JG motherboard I couldn't get to run great. I would have preferred to use this board as I could orient it horizontally, saving a good amount of room in my enclosure. Does anyone have any suggestions how to improve this and make it a viable option? Or is it just not a good choice being limited to the onboard graphics?

I did all the shutting down hyperthreading, power saving options etc. I did not go as far as only enabling 1 core, above my scope of abilities
Last edit: 02 Feb 2020 11:33 by Hytek.

More
02 Feb 2020 17:23 #156386 by tommylight
Most onboard graphics will work fine with Linuxcnc, there are some issues with some Nvidia cards, not all.
Do not know about disabling cores as i never ever done that, i use all of them all the time.
Disabling Hyperthreading is a must, it was and is such a useless feature that i am baffled at why it is still in some new proccesors!

More
11 Feb 2020 14:12 #157059 by andypugh

I just can't find a reference for you , but there is a command line switch to tell Linuxcnc to run the last config used. (Might be /l).

linuxcnc -l

Which I expected to find here:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man1/linuxcnc.1.html

But it isn't mentioned.
It is in the "usage" in the actual source file of the "linuxcnc" startup script
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/master...ipts/linuxcnc.in#L99
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
14 Mar 2020 05:27 #160131 by Hytek
Just a quick update. I am still plugging away with my main control panel and wiring. Can add pics if anyone wants, as soon as I can hide my messy workshop in the background :blush: :blush: :blush:

This brings me to a couple of questions. The 5i25 & 7i76 have internal or external 5v options. Are there pros n cons to either?

Next question. According to the information supplied by DMM Tech the cable linking the DYN4 to the 7i76 requires 2 shielded twisted pair + 4 more wires. This combination is not available in a single cable as standard. Guided by the reasoning 'better to have more shielding than I need than need more than I have' I made my first lead using Dynamix CAT 6A. This is 4 individually shielded twisted pairs with an outer shield and therefore VERY rigid. Can anyone suggest suitable alternative to this cable?

Thanks again guys

More
14 Mar 2020 08:07 #160144 by andypugh

This brings me to a couple of questions. The 5i25 & 7i76 have internal or external 5v options. Are there pros n cons to either?

Cable power to the 7i76 from the 5i25 to the 7i76 is easy and doesn't require a separate power supply. But the current is limited and an external psu should be more reliable if the 7i76 has high current demand.

requires 2 shielded twisted pair + 4 more wires. This combination is not available in a single cable as standard.
Can anyone suggest suitable alternative to this cable?

There are suitable cables in existence, for example Lapp Ölflex.
lapplimited.lappgroup.com/fileadmin/docu...flex/DB0036170EN.pdf
I have a quantity of one of them that I found on eBay that contains 2 x twisted pairs and 3 x larger power wires.
The trick is to scour the manufacturer site, work out what cable code you want, then try to find some.

You can find it by the metre from various vendors.
www.conrad.de/de/search.html?search=olfl...gory=%1Ft10%1Fc14734

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds