new to linuxcnc and building a plasma table

More
20 Feb 2020 18:13 #158037 by jay1st
it will not fit, the current gantry is flimsy, those laser forcusing heads weight nothing and the weight of the Z will make it even worse

I'm currently digging for a used laptop in the attic, i was pretty sure i had a DELL up there, i might end up using the MSI GT60 but that's overkill :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2020 10:43 #158106 by jay1st
I have a question but it might sound stupid :)

Can i install LCNC on a laptop, connect it to the Mesa board with the steppers and drivers to find out and learn how it works ?
Do i need PlasmaC ?

More
21 Feb 2020 10:57 #158109 by Clive S

I have a question but it might sound stupid :)

Can i install LCNC on a laptop, connect it to the Mesa board with the steppers and drivers to find out and learn how it works ?
Do i need PlasmaC ?

See this. forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...table?start=0#156969

More
21 Feb 2020 11:31 #158117 by tommylight

Yes. Laptop might give you trouble with latency, but it is usable for testing. Not usable for running a machine. There are very few laptops that are fit to run a machine through ethernet, i have 2 old ones, one that never fails and one that fails in a bout a day or two of full time use. I have plenty of laptops for testing only as they fail the connection to Mesa at random after 2 to 15 minutes of use. There are also some older laptops fit for use with parallel port, again rarely.
You can also use it as a simulation with no electronic connected to it at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jay1st

More
22 Feb 2020 08:29 #158179 by jay1st
Damn i was expecting all computers to be equal while running Linux....that's a set back for me as i'll have to source a viable computer now ;)
I'll search the forum as i'm pretty sure there is a minimum requirement thread somewhere.

As for simulation i'd rather have a real hand on experience with the steppers using LCNC, in my job we use steppers all the time but not for the same purpose, and they're driven by a DMC-4060 from Galil and that thing costs a fortune

More
24 Feb 2020 08:47 #158359 by jay1st
Saturday i dismantled the machine, removed both CO2 laser tubes and mirrors, did some welding and cleaned the linear rails. Now they're smotth as butter, i think the previous owner used grease or very thick oil on them as they were covered in gunk.
I' ll use the original drive system and gantry. And still need to make a light weight Z axis
I guess I'll open a new thread inn the proper section about the build :)

BTW i think i'll try to fire the tubes to see if theyr're any good , i'd be happy if the 150w works as i could cut thin sheet metal. If it works i'll change the mirrors for new ones and endup with a dual head configuration i guess

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds