Linuxcnc 2.8.1 crash randomly

More
10 Jan 2021 01:40 - 10 Jan 2021 04:26 #194670 by mikeross
Hi,

I've had my mill for many years and it was working pretty reliably for the last few years. I recently (~1month) updated from 2.7 to 2.8.1

Now I've experienced twice linuxcnc crashing completely mid-use. I don't remember what I was doing the 1st time and I kind of wrote it off as a 1 time thing but its done it again which tells me that something is wrong and it will likely happen again.

This time I was just jogging around, not using any G code file - mostly just through the XHC-HB04 USB pendant and a few MDI commands.

My uneducated eye tells me its related to tkinter and / or python 2.7 but I really don't know what to do about it...
I do know that the pendant is not configured correctly and I've been blissfully ignoring the messages as they haven't caused any issues to date.

Any help is appreciated.

Mike

File Attachment:

File Name: linuxcnc.r...1-09.txt
File Size:13 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: Mill-with-...1-09.hal
File Size:14 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: Mill-with-...1-09.ini
File Size:8 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Jan 2021 04:26 by mikeross. Reason: tkinter not tinker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2021 04:30 #194681 by mikeross
It also says out of memory so not sure why that should be the case, I need to check but the PC should have plenty of RAM.

More
10 Jan 2021 21:56 - 10 Jan 2021 21:59 #194786 by BeagleBrainz
Generally if you look through through the linuxcnc report and look for the the bit that mentions shutting down there is a good chance the lines immediately before give a clue as to what went pear shaped.
Looking through the error log Linuxcnc appears to start the shutdown procedure after the probe was tripped a number of times during a coordinate jog.
Probe tripped during a coordinate jog.
Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...
Running HAL shutdown script

I would start investigating why this is happening. Even if the probe was not connected I would investigate it just as thoroughly.
Last edit: 10 Jan 2021 21:59 by BeagleBrainz.

More
10 Jan 2021 22:48 #194798 by cmorley
And check that all the ram is good.

More
10 Jan 2021 23:02 #194801 by mikeross
I'll go check the RAM.

I don't think that the probe trips are directly related.
The number of probe trips roughly correspond to me using the "probe input" as my tool height setter, and I had been jogging down until touching the setter which trips the probe as a means of setting tool heights.

Is there a way to get more details on when the errors occur? As pointed out I think the probe trips are misleading and where well before the actual crash.

I'm also going to look at my tool table - I think I put a #99 tool in there - and this may have happened after I did that

More
11 Jan 2021 13:44 #194903 by andypugh
Does the crash stop the machine / motion control system, or just the GUI?

ie, does the job complete as normal with a frozen interface, or is the part ruined too?

More
11 Jan 2021 14:26 #194912 by mikeross
The machine stops, the spindle stops so yes the part is ruined. I'm going to just leave the machine on today while I'm doing other things to see if it repeats again.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds