Trying to replace with network-manager. Command not working.

More
02 Apr 2021 03:42 - 02 Apr 2021 04:59 #204457 by beefy
The hair pulling and banging head on the wall continues but I'm slowly getting there LOL. I know it will be worth it.

As per this thread:
forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/3559...ethernet-mesa-boards

trying to get rid of WiCD, and replace it with network-manager. Running the latest 2.9.0 release using Debian.

After typing in:
apt-get install network-manager network-manager-gnome

and entering my password, I get the message:
Reading package lists... Done
E: Unable to locate package network-manager
E: Unable to locate package network-manager-gnome

I updated / upgraded apt-get but that didn't make any difference.

Also tried using "aptitude" instead of apt-get but it didn't recognise that command.

Tried to install "aptitude" but it couldn't find it.

The endless Googling for answers continues.

A bit stuck what to do next.

Keith
Last edit: 02 Apr 2021 04:59 by beefy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2021 07:28 #204464 by robertspark
Keith,

are you connected to the internet?

you need to be connected to the internet via WiFi or ethernet cable.

once you have a working internet connection

type the following
sudo apt-get update

it will ask for your password, just type it in, then
sudo apt-get upgrade -y

at all these points you should get positive responses from the servers.

then
sudo apt-get install network-manager network-manager-gnome

alternatively..... look for synaptic, it will be under applications>>> system >> synaptic

More
02 Apr 2021 08:31 - 02 Apr 2021 08:49 #204468 by beefy
Cheers Rob,

yeah, was connected to internet and did the "apt-get" update and upgrade (but did no have the "-y" as in your example. Is that important.

Tried installing the network manager again after doing that but got the same error as when I first tried.
I'm starting to wonder if I should wipe the slate clean and do a fresh install but before upgrading to 2.9.0 from 2.8 try setting up the ethernet connection to the 7i96 and hope all setting stick through the upgrade.

Right now I'm trying to manually change /etc/network/interfaces and see if that works. Got nothing to lose really as everything I'm doing is coming up against a brick wall. I've heard Rod mention that Debian can be a pain and he prefers Mint but unsure if that can be used for QTPlasmaC.

OK so went through the process again of update/upgrade "apt-get" but this time with the "-y" but it said nothing to upgrade, no doubt because it's up to date from when I did it earlier.
And once again got the same message saying package cannot be found when I tried to install network-manager.

So went to Synaptics Package Manager and can not see any sign of network-manager there. I've Googled for "network-manager" and "network-manager-gnome" to try and find the files on their own, but cannot find "network-manager-gnome".

Keith

Keith

Keith
Last edit: 02 Apr 2021 08:49 by beefy.

More
02 Apr 2021 09:21 #204471 by phillc54

I've heard Rod mention that Debian can be a pain and he prefers Mint but unsure if that can be used for QTPlasmaC.

Mint should be OK for QtPlasmaC although I have not tried it. It does do some graphic stuff a little bit differently but I "think" that is sorted.
Unfortunately there are a lot of different Linux distros and everyone seems to have a favourite.
FWIW I personally use MX-Linux which is also a Debian derivative.

More
02 Apr 2021 10:46 #204476 by robertspark
Keith,

are you installing from the linuxcnc iso?

www.linuxcnc.org/iso/linuxcnc-2.8.0-buster.iso

(works great for me, now I've got my head into it a bit more, I tried mint (looks nice).... found adding the other bits (dependencies) a pia, yes I know that will be a marmite statement like if ford is better than GM, etc etc...

the "-y" switch just saves you typing y in later once it's downloaded the files from the updates"

can you check that the repositories for Debian are enabled?

easiest way is to go into aptitude and check they are enabled (3rd or 4th menu option from the LHS )

More
02 Apr 2021 11:10 - 02 Apr 2021 12:20 #204478 by robertspark
you can edit the repositories list directly using (from terminal)
sudo thunar

which will open thunar with super user rights (so you can edit / move stuff)

then navigate to using thunar (the graphical file manager)
/etc/apt/sources.list

open the file with geaney (just double click on it and it should open)

there are other ways to open this up directly from terminal, but I find using thunar the most useful as I can then navigate to and edit the network settings file too
/etc/network/interfaces

here is the contents of my file (please note I have 2 x network interfaces, one for a MESA 7i92 and the other for a MESA 7i76E)
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto enp2s0
iface enp2s0 inet static
address 10.10.10.1/24
up sleep 3
post-up ethtool -C enp2s0 rx-usecs 0

auto enp3s0
iface enp3s0 inet static
address 172.16.0.1/24
up sleep 3
post-up ethtool -C enp3s0 rx-usecs 0

I also installed ethtool as I had more success with setting up
hardware-irq-coalesce-rx-usecs 0
as it would not work for me as given within the standard setup examples if you have an intel network card (I was getting big latency numbers on ping). I suspect that a large number of people are running mint and as such have other dependancy files installed that allow for hardware-irq-coalesce-rx-usecs 0 to work / be effective

I would suggest that you install ethtool
sudo get-apt install ethtool
as you can run the following command
sudo ethtool -c enp2s0
and all the outputs should be zero (change enp2s0 to your ethernet card name)

note: your network card name will probably not be the same as mine as enp3s0 and enp2s0.
you will need to find your card names with
ip link show

once you have set up your network card then run a ping to test the connection and see what the response times are (it will tell you if
hardware-irq-coalesce-rx-usecs 0
or
post-up ethtool -C enp3s0 rx-usecs 0
are being effective

eg:
rob@RobsCNC:~$ ping 10.10.10.10
PING 10.10.10.10 (10.10.10.10) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 10.10.10.10: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.402 ms
64 bytes from 10.10.10.10: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.234 ms
64 bytes from 10.10.10.10: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.108 ms
64 bytes from 10.10.10.10: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.234 ms
Last edit: 02 Apr 2021 12:20 by robertspark.

More
02 Apr 2021 13:22 #204496 by beefy
I wonder if you found the issue Rob, when you said check the repositories are enabled.

After watching a video on upgrading Lcnc, it said to untick EVERYTHING in the repositories list and only tick the repositories for the 2.9.0 upgrade. So that's what I did and the upgrade worked fine. I'm wondering if some of those repositories are needed.
I do remember they were not all ticked when I first installed 2.8 and I have no idea what each one does. I might just go and tick them all and see what happens.

Keith

More
02 Apr 2021 13:32 #204497 by robertspark
only untick the linuxcnc 2.8 repositories

you will still need the Debian repositories to load other programmes

all I do is change the linuxcnc repository to buildbot and master.

More
02 Apr 2021 14:05 - 02 Apr 2021 14:07 #204502 by beefy
Hi Phil,
thanks for the info on Mint and the version you use.

Rob,
yep, you cracked it, that's where the problem was, all the repositories were un-ticked. Mix a complete clueless beginner and some Youtube videos and look what happens.
So got the network manager up and running, etc, and wcid un-installed but still won't connect to my 7i96, says network unavailable. And yeah the board jumpers are in the right location to select the EEPROM address of 10.10.10.10 so at this point not sure what's going on. Well, I'm absolutely knackered now, 1 am in the morning and I've been at it all day, so I think I'll call it a day. More troubleshooting tomorrow.
Thanks for all the valuable input/help.

Keith
Last edit: 02 Apr 2021 14:07 by beefy.

More
02 Apr 2021 14:46 #204509 by robertspark
No problem Keith, always happy to help, I know how it goes trying to get your head into it.

I've installed linuxcnc more times than I can count as I tried fiddling with this and that to get a working install, and after installing / trying to change things x number of times, and setttling on something that works, decided to start again from a clean slate (hence I kind of know my setup well).

Yes, I am sure that there are many linux (+ linuxcnc) experts out there who would cringe with the above statement, but sometimes it is easier to just reload from iso and you know that you have a working setup which is your base (imo).

Next question: (when you are back on it as I presume you are using the easter break to try to get up and going)
Have you got the right network lead?

There are straight through (sometimes called patch panel leads) and crossover leads.
A crossover lead is basically a 568A <> 568B ethernet cable.
A patch panel lead can be either a 586A <> 568 A OR a 568B <> 568B wired ethernet cable.... basically the pins / colours match on both RJ45 connectors.

For MESA cards, you need a patch / straight through network cable (wired as per either one of the below on the left).

Before someone shouts..... some ethernet cards (I think most of the newer ones can automatically detect and switch between the two cable types as part of their initialisation setup) its call Auto MDI-X and it depends if it is built into your ethernet card or not.

I am not sure if you need to change a setting to use / enable it, but you can force the change (if your card has it built in) with
sudo ethtool -s enp2s0 mdix on
or
sudo ethtool -s enp2s0 mdix off

(with enp2s0 being your ethernet card name)

because I was getting some really poor ping times (and was using home made network cables) I got a proper pre-made moulded high speed patch cable..... turns out it was not that which was the problem ..... method of elimination. At least I know I am using the right cable now.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.281 seconds