Trying to replace with network-manager. Command not working.

More
02 Apr 2021 23:38 #204579 by andypugh

apt-get install network-manager network-manager-gnome

I recently had to do this with a PC, but slightly differently.

I tend to shy away from anything "Gnome" as it tends to pull in a _lot_ of dependencies.

Instead I used the Synaptic Package Manager to install "nm-tray"

nm-tray automatically brought in network-manager.

And it worked, my machine instantly connected to my WiFi (after hours of struggling with command-line tutorials)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2021 01:38 - 03 Apr 2021 01:42 #204586 by beefy
Cheers Andy,
appreciate the info.

Well I'm a very happy chap today. Wiped the slate clean and booted from ISO again. Upgraded to 2.9 correctly this time un-ticking only the 2.8 related repositories in Synaptics.
Now referring to these instructions again:
forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/3559...ethernet-mesa-boards
I noticed a sneaky little message among the trillions of lines in terminal when I ran:
apt-get install network-manager network-manager-gnome

so I used the Nano editor to get into /etc/network/interfaces and comment out any references to my network adapter enp0s25. Absolutely no idea if I was doing the right thing but this time when I ran Network Manager as per the above thread, all went smoothly and I could ping and connect to my 7i96.

Once again a big thanks to Rob and everyone else who chipped in.

Keith
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Apr 2021 01:42 by beefy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
03 Apr 2021 08:28 #204599 by rodw
I have to say its nice to see two old hands at plasma venturing into the dark side of Linuxcnc and helping each other out. I'm also amazed how much Robert has learnt about Linux. Far more than me :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: robertspark

More
03 Apr 2021 10:07 #204602 by robertspark
thanks Rod, no it's early days.

it's a big mountain and I am probably seeing base camp in the distance.... it may be a mirage though.

Keith
nano is just a text editor (same as vim or gedit you may see listed.... gedit is listed as default in Pncconf )

the default text editor installed as part of the linuxcnc iso is geany , so you can swap out vim or nano gedit etc (there is another one that Linux users love and I can't remember it's name) and use geany in the terminal and the file will popup to edit.

geany is also under applications >> development

one of the things I got rid of was the login prompt at boot time (it's only me using the pc, plus I find it a pia
sudo geany /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

scroll down to about line126 and uncomment (remove #) both of the following lines and add YOUR login user name
autologin-user=rob
autologin-user-timeout=0

More
03 Apr 2021 10:19 #204606 by beefy
Cheers Rob,

and Rod, I too am very surprised at how much Rob has learned. All this time I thought he was just having a little tinker here and there with Lcnc.

Just another little thing worthy of note for beginners. I was worried that seeing as I'd reconfigured my network adapter to a manual setting with the IP address of the 7i96, that I'd now have no internet. So I grabbed a USB-ethernet adapter I had, connected it to the internet cable and booted up the PC. Voila, one working internet connection while my ethernet adapter remained connected to the 7i96. And there I was thinking I'd have all sorts of configuration issues.

From a full day of endless effort, hopelessness and despair yesterday, to a roaring success today. I'm feeling good. Couldn't have made it on my own.

Keith
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw, robertspark

More
03 Apr 2021 12:06 #204614 by robertspark
I've made a commitment to it given development at cncdrive has gone to zero in the past year + really I should have taken the jump at day 1 and avoided the false ease of windows + mach3 that everyone (most) seem to start out at.

the mountain is steep and there are a lot of different syntax to learn *.hal, *.ini, bash, python, glade, linuxcnc components etc, some are programming languages and some is just syntax convention so it's vary varied.

the more you dabble the better you get at understanding even if it is just that component, GUI or whatever you are trying to do.

I keep meaning to fill out an A5 notepad with loads of tips and things I've picked up on.

I spent a lot of time playing with trying to improve latency and sort out the issue I had with the network card ping latency.... but now I know what to do as I've figured out the 1000 other things that don't work..... to find the one that does.... but it's all the other shortcuts (like using TAB to fill in file names or directory changes (cd /Dow "TAB" completes Downloads, etc etc)
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Time to create page: 0.905 seconds