USB

More
16 Jul 2021 04:37 #214990 by mjadams61
USB was created by mjadams61
I have a T-D 3 axis controller hook to my laptop via usb and was wondering if linux cnc will work. All I have is a newer laptop with just usb ports and I know my controller works from my laptop because of some trial software that I cannot afford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2021 11:48 #215020 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic USB
LinuxCNC does not work with USB for machine control, although there are some tests done using arduino.
Also, laptops are not good for machine control due to power saving stuff.
Does the laptop have an ethernet port?
LinuxCNC is very good at controling machines over ethernet, that will require the use of a Mesa board or similar.
Download the ISO image from the downloads on the main LinuxCNC page, write it to a USB using win32diskimager, boot the laptop from it and run the included latency test.

More
16 Jul 2021 18:50 #215072 by mjadams61
Replied by mjadams61 on topic USB
Thank you. I am new to linux since all my past jobs was working with networks and pc's until my stroke. Now my T_D 3 axis controller also has a 25 pin female connector and I was wondering if a usb to to DBN 25 male would work?

I have used that setup on legacy printers and such to test them after repair.

I gotten into this because of health reasons and buying the lo-cost cnc a few years ago then having to put off then getting back into it now.

More
16 Jul 2021 19:30 #215079 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic USB
Unfortunately mainstream linuxcnc can not use USB for motion control - not even by using adapters (of anykind).
i won't bother going into why - if you are interested look here;
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HardwareDesign

Sounds like you think the machine actually uses a parallel port for control.
cheapest option is to find a used desktop computer someone doesn't need anymore - lots of them have parallel ports - just not brought out to the case.

As Tommy said then try the latency test to see if it's useable.

But if it's USB only - you are outta luck for linuxcnc.

If you can afford a MESA interface product - it is far better in the long run.

More
16 Jul 2021 20:16 #215086 by Bari
Replied by Bari on topic USB
To be absolutely pedantic a Linux USB system may be made to work with LinuxCNC.

User interface device (PC, SBC, Rpi) ---> USB ---> LinuxCNC PC or Rpi (or similar) ---> LPT or Mesa Card ---> motor drives and IO  :)

More
16 Jul 2021 21:09 #215089 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic USB
I am sure there is a USB to Parallel port adapter with some electronics inside that works with LinuxCNC, there was a post about it here on this forum, but at something like 90 Euro + transport i did not deem it worth mentioning.
For that money you get a Mesa 7i92 that can do 2 ports at much, much higher speeds, do hardware stepping and PWM and encoder counting ....
Also the makers of that adapter never got back to us with more info, so i would venture a guess that if it does 2KHz pulses it would be a success (a very minuscule one ), while Mesa can do several MHz on each pin.

More
16 Jul 2021 21:18 #215093 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic USB
While your points might be true - do you think it was helpful answers to this person's inquiry?

Mainstream linuxcnc does not support USB for motion control - a very simple and direct answer to someone who is not seemingly interested in developing/testing off-the-beaten-path hardware.

More
17 Jul 2021 01:04 #215111 by mjadams61
Replied by mjadams61 on topic USB
Thank you. Well it uses usb too I have use the MK1 software from Planet cnc but just the trial version. Just cannot afford the full version.

More
22 Jul 2021 15:08 #215591 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic USB
If you have an ethernet port, and if the controller has a 25 pin _input_ port then you could look at using
store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...duct&path=83_85&prod
uct_id=306&sort=p.price&order=ASC

But it is possible that the DB25 on the controller is an _Output_ port, for driving a breakout board.

More
22 Jul 2021 16:14 #215600 by Aaroncnc
Replied by Aaroncnc on topic USB
@mjadams61
From the sounds of it you are seeking a no cost solution with only the hardware you have on hand.
Is this correct?

If so i dont think there is a solution that is viable with linux cnc at the skill levels presented.

If you have any family or friends ask them if they have any old pcs that you can borrow. even if they are over 10 years old they should still work fine. i have even gotten some from the trash that work.
If you have a bit of money to spend i agree with the others that buying an old desktop with a parallel port would be the safest and cheapest option.

i am a bit hesitant to mention because while it may technically work it will cost more than the above and will limit the laptop greatly.

Alot of laptops have removable pci/m2 wireless cards. one could take the card out then buy an adapter to change it into a full size pci port then buy a pci parallel port card and use that.

But thats a ton of work and money for a bad idea and can put the laptop at risk if a part fails it could damage the cpu. (dont ask how i know so much about this........)

i think maybe the cheapest option would be a cheap Arduino running GRBL connected to the 25pin port on your driver
an Arduino uno can be had for about 5$ and the grbl software is free. you would just need jumper wires to go from the Arduino header and into the 25pin port on your controller.

But grbl is not linuxcnc it is its own thing. so support would need to be found with them.

There is another software solution mach3 that can support some usb controllers. But this software is no supposed to be free.
google "mach 3 usb support" and see if you driver looks like the ones people are using.

I understand not being able to afford the solutions. i have spent alot of time finding ways to make cheap things work.
I have done it so much it is its own hobby for me.

Time to create page: 0.318 seconds