coding for roller cams

More
22 Oct 2010 14:08 - 22 Oct 2010 14:12 #4795 by grey1beard
OK, here's the initial build.
The project is to provide an apparent random eye movement for a chameleon model that my daughter is building. The c. is sitting on the top of an arm chair and it replicates the fabric of the chair which she is re-covering.
It's one of those "Daddy, would it be possible......." projects.
Chameleons move their eyes indepentantly, and having them reposition at a rate of about once every 6 secs, each in a variety of directions was the challenge. The width of the head level with the eyes is about 4cms, and each eye moves with a radius of about 7cms over 90 degrees.

I've started by building a small timer cct, based on a 555 to pulse a solenoid. The plunger pulls a pawl that you can see at the top of the photo, which pulls both ratchets.
In the middle of the photo, the two halves of the cam mechanism are laid out, so imagine that the right hand one is turned over and drops on top of the left one, with the lower transparent layer, plus a couple of paper washers, separating them.
That separator carries the non-return indents, two short piano wire lengths.
The solenoid/pawl is mounted to align with the ratchets through the gap at the left of the separator.

The sneaky part of the design is that one ratchet has 24 teeth, the other 25, so that the stepping pattern takes 600 pulses to repeat, about an hour, and who's going to watch it that long !
Each ratchet gear is cemented to a cam with 24 and 25 lobes on it(some are the same height, so no movement at that point).
The cam follower levers will pull piano wire connectors to the eye moving levers, not yet built.

The solenoid/pawl/ratches worked until I put some small load on the levers, and immediately the friction between the steel levers and the steel cams, all 1mm thick, caused it to refuse to budge.
My pathetic attempts to avoid this by polishing the edges of cams and levers before I built it (I did see that it might be a problem)was nothing like a solution.
What I'm currently doing is to replace the cams with 3mm nylon, and fit the levers with rollers, then see how it goes.
John

EDIT photo too big, will retry.
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Oct 2010 14:12 by grey1beard.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2010 14:12 - 22 Oct 2010 14:23 #4797 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:coding for roller cams
I can't wait for the photo it sounds like a nice challenging project! Oh there it is... yea I think rollers on the followers would be much better with the high lifts you have on some of the lobs of the cam.

John
Last edit: 22 Oct 2010 14:23 by BigJohnT.

More
22 Oct 2010 14:18 - 23 Oct 2010 11:17 #4798 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:coding for roller cams
grey1beard wrote:

Chameleons move their eyes indepentantly, and having them reposition at a rate of about once every 6 secs, each in a variety of directions was the challenge. The width of the head level with the eyes is about 4cms, and each eye moves with a radius of about 7cms over 90 degrees.

I think I would have approached the puzzle slightly differently (and expensively)
With 4 linear stepper actuators and an Arduino you could do completely random movements.
That would be UKP 20 x 4 for the motor plus UKP 20 for the Arduino though, so perhaps not all that sensible.

Better still, you could use a real PC and EMC2 with a cellphone camera in each eye to track movement for maximum freak-out value.

Once you have played with an Arduino for a while, they start to look like an almost universal solution to this class of problem.
Last edit: 23 Oct 2010 11:17 by andypugh. Reason: the forum hates uk currency

More
23 Oct 2010 08:21 #4808 by grey1beard
???
The dimensions are for the one I'm animating, if that's the problem.
John

More
23 Oct 2010 11:17 #4810 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:coding for roller cams
Sorry, the forum hid my reply as I used UK currency symbols. A very annoying "feature"

More
23 Oct 2010 11:41 #4811 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:coding for roller cams
andypugh wrote:

Sorry, the forum hid my reply as I used UK currency symbols. A very annoying "feature"

Yes and there seems to be no way to edit it. I assume it is there to prevent SQL injection type of attacks.

John

More
23 Oct 2010 13:24 #4812 by grey1beard
andypugh wrote:
Better still, you could use a real PC and EMC2 with a cellphone camera in each eye to track movement for maximum freak-out value.

Once you have played with an Arduino for a while, they start to look like an almost universal solution to this class of problem.[/quote]

Andy, don't tempt me B)
The whole family are quite capable of wilder flights of fancy than I've ever admitted to here.
Hence this particular mad project.

John

More
23 Nov 2010 09:26 - 23 Nov 2010 09:26 #5552 by grey1beard
Glad you enjoy it.
More posts to follow when I get the thing finished, so I'd better get up to the workroom and sort out the pivots.
It's generally going ok, but I hope she doesn't finish up wanting to make an edition !
Regards
John
Last edit: 23 Nov 2010 09:26 by grey1beard. Reason: typo

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds