5i25 - 7i76 support testers wanted

More
19 Dec 2011 02:52 #15825 by gcrawford
This is sort of un-pncconf related, but..

I can't get the field I/O to work.

I have an 18V power supply connected to VFIELD. I have jumper W1 to the left, so that VFIELD is connected to VIN. The CR2 LED lights up. All of the 7i76 inputs and outputs appear in HAL. If I take a multi meter, between GND and the field power terminals, I get voltage on all the VFIELD pins, and on VIN. If I disconnected field power, CR2 won't light, and HAL won't detect the field I/O.

If I turn off host card power, CR1 won't light and the step/dir stuff stops working. I thought jumper W1 was supposed to supply this logic power from the field power? I don't think something is right here. I suspect it might also be why the field power doesn't work.

If I set an output on the 7i76, HAL shows it as set, but there is no voltage between said pin and ground. If I supply 18V from the same power supply that is connected to VFIELD, to an input pin, HAL shows no change.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2011 03:28 #15826 by PCW
The 7I76 requires 2 power supplies,
#1 is 5V from the 5I25, #2 is field power (10 -28V nominal) for the isolated field I/O

Field power is for the _isolated_ field I/O,
There is no common between the computer/step/dir ground and field I/O GND
which is the negative lead of the field power

So if you supply an input signal to the field I/O, this input is relative to the field power - connection
(and must be > than 60% of field power to be recognized as a "high")

Field outputs will also be relative to this signal so if you measure them relative to computer GND and you have a floating power supply they will not be seen

More
19 Dec 2011 04:04 #15827 by gcrawford
Ah, I see! That would make perfect sense. Is there any disadvantage to using the host card supplied 5V? I just figured I should be using VFIELD to power the logic, as that's how the jumpers were set default.

I have the 18V power supply positive connected to VFIELD on TB1, and the power supply negative connected to GROUND on TB1. The power supply does float, and there is no connection between logic side ground, and field I/O ground anywhere, but it seems like this shouldn't be a problem. All of my field I/O is referenced to the negative on the 18V power supply, not the ground pins on the logic side.

More
19 Dec 2011 18:28 #15847 by gcrawford
If the watchdog timer isn't satisfied, what gets disabled?

More
19 Dec 2011 18:40 #15850 by PCW
step/dir
All field outputs

More
19 Dec 2011 20:13 #15857 by gcrawford
Yeah, it's not the watchdog then. The stepgens work just fine.

At my CNC machine now.

My power supply negative is tied to earth ground now. VFIELD and logic ground are tied together. I read 18V between the PC case and the power supply.

The 7i76 will only show up in HAL with jumper W1 in the left hand position, running off host card power, and the field supply powered up. Change any of these parameters, and it will not detect.

As I understand, with the common ground in place between the field and logic sections, jumper W1 is supposed to feed the 18V connected to VFIELD to VIN, which supplies an on-board 5V power supply to power the logic section. Am I mistaken here?

The problem is the field I/O doesn't work, but I feel that being unable to power the 7i76 from field power might be the root of the issue.

More
19 Dec 2011 20:21 #15859 by gcrawford
Still curious about how the power supplies for the board work.

But by adding sserial_port_0=20000000 to the config, it magically starting working. Is it too early for a beer already?

More
19 Dec 2011 20:51 #15862 by PCW
5V power _never_ comes from field power
W1 must always be in the left hand position unless you apply external 5V to the 7I76
W2 must be in the left hand position if you want the _field_ logic power and field I/0 power to be the same

what was the sserial_port_0 line before?

More
19 Dec 2011 21:11 #15868 by gcrawford
Thanks for the explanation! I don't post on forums, but when I do, I'm desperate...

Used to be:
CONFIG="num_stepgens=3"

Now it's:
CONFIG="num_stepgens=3 sserial_port_0=00000000"

Strange though. All of the 7i76 I/O showed up as autodeteced, but it just didn't work. Now it works. *shurgs*

More
19 Dec 2011 21:21 #15871 by PCW
Yeah you are supposed to need the serial_port_0=whatever line
maybe it takes serial_port_0=XXXXXXXX to disable them (driver bug?)

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds