5i25 - 7i76 support testers wanted

More
01 May 2012 20:37 #19722 by BigJohnT
When you get past the starting gate take a look a ngcgui there are a bunch of subroutines for lathes.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2012 02:14 - 02 May 2012 02:15 #19727 by cmorley
yes there are a few issues with PNCconf and the 5i25 cards if using the livecd version.
for the 7i76 it should be pretty obvious how to fix them in the HAL file most are about double periods in the HAL pin name.
The stepper test will fail too.

We have most of the issues fixed in the 2.5 branch which would be available through buildbot or the next bug fix release.
(though I haven't confirmed the spindle works properly or the stepper test is error free with the 7i76)

If you like you can use PNCconf to build your config and if you can't find all the errors post the files and we will find them.
This would also help me fix any errors I have not found.

I'm sorry this isn't bug free yet.
Last edit: 02 May 2012 02:15 by cmorley.

More
02 May 2012 02:31 #19728 by gmouer
Thanks! I will attempt to update my 2.5 that I installed from the live cd to the version you recommend. I realize the work is not yet complete, I just want to get the latest updates to work with to increase my odds of success. Linux and linuxcnc are new to me coming from the Mach3 world, so the learning curve is steep. I have made a lot of progress in the last week, I have it running for learning purposes on my little 7x lathe with a gecko g540 just for learning purposes. The 5i25 / 7i76 is a big increase in complexity over that setup.

More
02 May 2012 02:36 #19729 by cmorley
here is the web page for buildbot.
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/

It should be pretty current with bug fixes as they are added.

More
02 May 2012 16:42 - 02 May 2012 16:45 #19739 by gmouer
Well, I think I did a successfull update, the emc now reports as 2.5.0-28-g53433da I believe this is the master version, I also tried the build version. It still does not show the 5i25 on the pncconf setup screen as a choice, there are several other mesa boards listed. I was originally on the livecd version before the update. When the update installed, it flashed a couple of messages about something that it was unable to install because of a dependency, it flashes by so fast that I did not catch the details unfortunately. As a note, this is a clean computer, that was freshly formatted with the livecd install, no changes have been made other than updating emc as requested.

My docs for emc are now dated May 1 so they apparently updated as well.

So, any suggestions on why I am not seeing the 5i25 and 7i76 available for selection still?

Thanks,
George
Last edit: 02 May 2012 16:45 by gmouer.

More
02 May 2012 19:54 #19743 by JustPlaneSweet
Follow the instructions in post www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/compo...mit=6&start=42#18554 to create the 5i25 directory. Then the 5i25 and 7i76 will show up.

Stan

More
02 May 2012 23:38 - 02 May 2012 23:40 #19746 by gmouer
Those instructionsin that link are flawed or not complete. It has you copy the unzipped folder into the hm2 directory. That does not work, I believe the folder needs to be renamed to 5i25 first. Even then, renaming it and putting it in the hm2 folder it throws a error in pncconf. (I think a XML files is also required, that folder only has a .py file) The 5i25 does show but when you select it and go forward to the next screen in pncconf a error message comes up " unbound local error, local variable search referenced before assignment".

I was under the impression that all the fixes to date, as well as creating that folder and contents would have been taken care of by me updating to the latest master of 2.5, but it wasn't.

The folder you referenced in your post only has a single file in it, a py file, I believe a XML file is also required. BUT, those files and folders in this thread are old, there have been more fixes. I just want to get up to date on the latest pncconf and support files for the 5i25/7i76 to have a better chance of getting the boards interfaced correctly.

Hopefully Chris can shed some light on what is going on with the latest 2.5 master not handling these boards directly without having to patch in additional files and folders. I was under the impression all this was incorporated into the 2.5 master.

In particular, the correct handling of the terminal strip names and pin assignments along with spindle control.
Last edit: 02 May 2012 23:40 by gmouer.

More
03 May 2012 00:13 #19747 by JustPlaneSweet
Ok. Use the slightly earlier post www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/compo...mit=6&start=42#16133

It worked for me. I used a new LiveCD to install LinuxCNC and created the lib/firmware/hm2/5i25 folder with the xml files using the instructions above.

Sorry for the difficulty.

Stan

More
03 May 2012 00:20 #19748 by gmouer
Thanks Stan. I think I had it working to that point before Chris suggested updating my ver 2.5 to the build ver. I am pretty sure that Chris put all the latest pieces into the 2.5 build,, I don't understand why they are not showing up without having to manually enter files/folders????? I figure Chris would be interested to know, maybe his changes did NOT get into the build version like he thought???

PS I tried both the build version and then the master version afterwards just in case.

More
04 May 2012 05:08 #19790 by cmorley
Sorry for the delay of answer ...connection problems.

even with my updates you will still need to add the 5i25 folder and xml files to lib/firmware/hm2
firmware is a separate repository and I don't have any commit privileges for it - so can not add the files automatically.
there has been talk for some work in that department....

FYI anything with 2.5 is not master (master is 2.6 at the moment)
By using the 2.5 buildbot version you are getting bug fixes before they are officially released.

Chris M

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds