3rd stepgen not working on 5i20/7i47/7i31 combo

More
21 Feb 2013 12:27 #30397 by PCW
Are you sure you have the latest dmesg info on the pinout?
I could have an incorrect bitfile but check that your looking at the dmesg
from the latest LinuxCNC run with the SVST1_4_7I47S.BIT file

sudo dmesg -c to clear
dmesg > someoldfile

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2013 00:13 #30415 by green751
I'll double check tonight. I got the info I mention above by looking at the start-up display in linuxcnc, where it lists which pins have what items attached. I believe the pwm gen got put on pins in the low 40s range.

Erik

More
22 Feb 2013 05:16 #30427 by PCW
Looks OK to me
>> md5 svst1_4_7i47s.bit MD5 (svst1_4_7i47s.bit) = d3cd5dfbbf9c4ce5022a6422c88b7cd2

i have attached my dmesg log

File Attachment:

File Name: 7i47slog.txt
File Size:5 KB
Attachments:

More
22 Feb 2013 07:47 #30429 by green751
Well, that'll teach me to believe splash screens.

Here's the screenshot from linuxcnc's startup:

And here also is attached my dmesg.txt. Looks like the pins are just as you say. Probably my wiring job or the config on my VFD needs some work yet.

As a side note, I couldn't figure out how to invert the pin that the PWM is on... is it a flag on the pin in my HAL file?

Erik

PS: Looks like I have some realtime config to do, too... maybe turn off ACPI or something.
Attachments:

More
22 Feb 2013 08:31 #30432 by PCW
To invert a pin, you set the invert-output attribute of the proper GPIO pin

In your case its something like:

setp hm2_5i20.0.gpio.039.invert_output true
The following user(s) said Thank You: green751

More
22 Feb 2013 23:21 #30454 by green751
Thanks... I had figured out something like that, but I think I currently have the wrong pin configured.

I spent some time last night re-checking my wiring, and found out that I had misunderstood how the pins in linuxcnc map to the pins on the 5i20 map to the pins on the 7I47S and the 7I37... once I fixed my off by one errors and bad assumptions I managed to locate the signals in the right places and checked that they produce voltage when they should. I'm not sure about the voltage values yet, I still need to do tuning and set the range for the command signal on the VFD.

On a side note, I'm thinking of writing a script or something to parse through linuxcnc's config and the mesa card pinouts... there are too many little details to have to remember to get it right each time, especially when I'm tired. Something that would essentially "trace" a pin assignment from the FPGA card and display where the wires should be located on the terminals of the breakout card.

I did manage to get my spindle under control, though. B) :laugh: :woohoo: Forward and reverse, with speed control (although right now it's mostly either slow or fast, not much in between).

Phew. Now I need to work on adding an encoder for the pendant, a spindle encoder, SSR control for air/flood cooling, re-work on the E-stop and limit switch wiring, and everything else :)

Thanks again for the help,
Erik

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds