PNCconf error

More
11 Apr 2013 02:23 #32550 by customcutter
PNCconf error was created by customcutter
Using 5i25/7i76 mesa cards, and setting up in pncconf. I set up all of the axis and went back to test them

Tried testing the X axis and got this error

TRACEBACK (most recent call list):
File "usr/bin/pncconf", line 9204, in update_tune_axis_params
halrun.flush()
I/O Error: [Errno 32] Broken Pipe

5i25 is cabled to the 7i76, W1 and W2 are correctly jumpered, and field power applied to TB1.

thanks,
Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2013 17:49 #32557 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic PNCconf error
Testing in pncconf? I think that does not work. Just test your axes in Axis.

John

More
11 Apr 2013 17:59 #32558 by customcutter
Replied by customcutter on topic PNCconf error
PNCconf had a test/tune button. Clicked on it, and X axis "tune" page came up, tried moving X axis and got the error.

I'll try in Axis.

thanks,
ken

More
11 Apr 2013 19:12 #32560 by customcutter
OK, went back and completed PNCconf without "test/tune" performed on any axes.

Trying to find "Axis" to test, went to Apps, CNC, linuxcnc, my configs, enco-mill, enco-mill clicked on it and got several page "error"

How can i copy "error" message to thumb drive and copy to my laptop to post here? I don't have an internet connection on the LinuxCNC computer.

Also seems I would need to "test/tune" each axis when working through PNCconf??? When I clicked on "enable" button and tried to jog the axis using an arrow key I got the message in the first post.

thanks,
Ken

More
11 Apr 2013 19:20 - 11 Apr 2013 19:22 #32561 by BigJohnT
Ken,

First thing to check is that you had the field power turned on for the 7i76 card. The config will not start if the 7i76 card is not powered up because LinuxCNC can not find any of the 7i76 pins without power.

Just copy and paste to a text file your error messages. In Linux the middle mouse button will copy/paste if Ctrl C and Ctrl V do not work in a window.

If you selected Axis as the GUI frontend on the Basic machine information page then your good to go. Pncconf by default will create a desktop icon to launch your configuration.

John
Last edit: 11 Apr 2013 19:22 by BigJohnT.

More
11 Apr 2013 21:11 #32568 by customcutter
OK, checked 7i76 board and both LED's are lit. Checked the voltage from the Radio Shack 24v transformer and it is putting out 36v.

Not good. It did this when I first installed it, I turned everything off, checked my wiring, and when I turned it back on it was putting out 24v.

OK, now 30minutes to an hour later than first two sentences in this reply post.

I checked my 7i76 and both LED'd were lit, Checked the voltage again on the transformer. It was putting out 24v, but the full wave rectifier was putting out 36v. Go figure??? I rewired the transformer for 12v output. It is putting out 12v and the rectifier is putting out 16v.

Rebooted Linux, went to my configs and enco-mill booted up properly showing 3D engraving program. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Still trying to figure out how to test axes, figure acceleration speeds, etc.???

thanks,
Ken

More
11 Apr 2013 21:27 #32569 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic PNCconf error
A power supply consisting of a transformer followed by a
bridge rectifier and a filter capacitor (you do have a 1000 uF or so filter capacitor I hope)
will put out a DC voltage of about about 1.414 times the transformer voltage
so nominally ~33V from a 24V transformer. With line voltage variations, 36V is within reason, but 36V is too high
for the 7I76 field I/O. it will complain about this to Linuxcnc and not allow starting the comm link

More
11 Apr 2013 21:34 - 11 Apr 2013 21:37 #32570 by customcutter
PCW,

Thanks, no filter capacitor, I just turned everything off, and I'll head to Radio Shack to pick one up.

thanks,
Ken

PS.

Should I leave it at 12v or step back to 24v after installng the 1000uF filter capacitor, or does it matter??

thanks,
Ken
Last edit: 11 Apr 2013 21:37 by customcutter.

More
11 Apr 2013 22:02 #32571 by BigJohnT

Still trying to figure out how to test axes, figure acceleration speeds, etc.???

thanks,
Ken

If pncconf used standard conventions in the ini file you can go to Machine > Calibrate and test different acceleration and speed settings. After finding the maximum then back off 10-20% and run the stepper test for each axis that is in the Integrators Manual.

John

More
11 Apr 2013 23:36 #32581 by customcutter

A power supply consisting of a transformer followed by a
bridge rectifier and a filter capacitor (you do have a 1000 uF or so filter capacitor I hope)
will put out a DC voltage of about about 1.414 times the transformer voltage
so nominally ~33V from a 24V transformer. With line voltage variations, 36V is within reason, but 36V is too high
for the 7I76 field I/O. it will complain about this to Linuxcnc and not allow starting the comm link

Concerning the filter capacitor, can I simply place the leads on the capacitor into the same terminals on the TB1 that the power from the transformer/rectifier are in and tighten every thing down? I know the longer is lead is + and the shorter lead -. BTW the capacitor is 1000uf, 35v, electrolytic.

I looked at how the capacitors were installed on the 201's, and they soldered to the pins that the 201's mount to.

thanks,
Ken

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 1.531 seconds