PNCconf error

More
12 Apr 2013 04:21 - 12 Apr 2013 04:22 #32603 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic PNCconf error
It looks like the only thing in the ini file that is of use to you is the scale. Acceleration and velocity do not show up so you can't test them from the Calibration window :(

John
Last edit: 12 Apr 2013 04:22 by BigJohnT.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2013 04:25 #32604 by customcutter
Replied by customcutter on topic PNCconf error

On each axis page make sure you change driver type from custom to 201.

Did you set the axis scale and travel for each axis?

John

I don't remember setting the driver type, they are probably custom on each axis.

I did set scale, 200 steps/turn, 5 turns/in on ball screw.

Wasn't sure how to change travel on size of each axis, so left them at default of 8", until I could figure out how to configure properly. (Home, etc)

I will go through pncconf again and write a new file.

thanks,
Ken

More
12 Apr 2013 04:37 #32605 by BigJohnT
Just change the driver type and set the axis limits, the file is ok.

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: customcutter

More
12 Apr 2013 04:52 #32606 by customcutter
OK, modified the pncconf, using the wizard.

Was able to test/tune the axis once the driver was changed to 201. Jogged all three axis using test/tune in pncconf.
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I'll play with test/tune and read a little more on the help file tomorrow.

I seem to remember seeing a file somewhere that "tested" for backlash. I'd like to be able to test and see if I have any.

John, a sincere thanks for helping me with this. I remember asking you on the HSM forum if a dummy with little/no experience could do this. I think your reply was it's like eating a pie. One slice at a time. Finally feel like I've made some progress this last week.

thanks,
Ken

More
12 Apr 2013 04:56 - 12 Apr 2013 04:56 #32607 by BigJohnT
I'm glad you have made some progress on this. The best way to test for backlash is with a dial indicator. It is not a good thing to use backlash compensation when milling if you can avoid it.

It's also good to know that test axis in pncconf works too.

John
Last edit: 12 Apr 2013 04:56 by BigJohnT.

More
12 Apr 2013 18:58 #32621 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic PNCconf error

I turn the machine on go to Applications>CNC>LinuxCNC>myconfigs>enco-mill, it launches the 3D engraving app. I go to Machine>Calibrate, it pops up calibration page. Tune 0 (X-axis) shows 1000 in all 5 values, I click test and the test button turns off, another button activates, but that is all. Nothing moves, no errors, I've waited several seconds too several minutes, nothing.

"Test" loads the specified values into where they belong. It doesn't do anything else.
You then need to go back to the Axis interface and jog around, or run some G-code or type in an MDI command, and see how it works out.
Then you can go back to the "Calibrate" window and try some different values, or save the values in the box to the INI file so that they become the default.
(Be aware that Pncconf won't know about these new values, so you need to make a note of them if you intend to run Pbcconf again)

More
12 Apr 2013 19:24 #32623 by customcutter
Thanks Andy.

I tried running Machine>Calibrate this AM on the X axis. Got a red X on the bottom right of the screen. Something about a real time delay. check dmesg. Finally found the files, noticed something about a "possible bug in the clock" IIRC. Would this be due to incorrect values in latency, speed, acceleration, etc?

Got to run out for a couple of hours, but hope to be back on it soon.

thanks,
Ken

More
12 Apr 2013 19:34 #32625 by andypugh

Thanks Andy.

I tried running Machine>Calibrate this AM on the X axis. Got a red X on the bottom right of the screen. Something about a real time delay. check dmesg.

I wouldn't worry about that at the moment, but it probably indicates that your base thread speed is a bit too high for the PC.

More
12 Apr 2013 19:43 #32626 by BigJohnT
The only thing that shows up in his Calibrate window is the drive timing and the scale... so not the place to test acceleration and velocity.

John

More
12 Apr 2013 19:46 #32627 by andypugh

The only thing that shows up in his Calibrate window is the drive timing and the scale... so not the place to test acceleration and velocity.

"Calibrate" scans the INI file. I had to move a bunch of things from HAL to INI to get it to do what I wanted.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds