building custom Gladevcp Widgets for linuxcnc

More
17 Oct 2012 03:13 #25393 by cmorley
I thought this might go hand in hand with building GUIs
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?GladeVCP_Custom_Widgets

Gee I think we need to make a separate developers manual for GladeVCP and GUI screens...

Chris M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2012 11:11 #25400 by BigJohnT
Chris,

That is an excellent write up on adding a glade widget.

One of the problems I have with the current manuals organization is the lack of being able to link from one manual to another. I thought at one time of combining them all into one manual but I'm not sure...

Thanks
John

More
19 Oct 2012 21:20 #25461 by robh
thanks for sharing this looks nice and usefull

rob

More
20 Oct 2012 04:43 #25473 by mhaberler
Chris,

I think this should go into the manual - for now, in the GladeVCP section

let's talk how to arrange it - it would be a pity if this important piece would be left out

- Michael

More
20 Oct 2012 04:53 #25474 by cmorley
Yes in the manual probably would be good. eventually its probably more developer or advanced integrator..
More then anything I hope that if a user builds a useful widget they wake it glade widget so everyone can use it.

Michael you did work with gladevcp - There is a lot of good stuff there that could be reused if it only had some documentation or comments.
eg hal_glib and how to use the base widgets stiff.
for example I want to add linuxcnc stat stuff to my tooledit widget. I think I could actually get what I need from an action_base or EMC_STAT but can't figure it out. any hints.....

It would also help as I am tinkering with QTvcp ......
Chris M

More
20 Oct 2012 05:22 #25476 by mhaberler
cmorley wrote:

Yes in the manual probably would be good. eventually its probably more developer or advanced integrator..
More then anything I hope that if a user builds a useful widget they wake it glade widget so everyone can use it.

Michael you did work with gladevcp - There is a lot of good stuff there that could be reused if it only had some documentation or comments.
eg hal_glib and how to use the base widgets stiff.
for example I want to add linuxcnc stat stuff to my tooledit widget. I think I could actually get what I need from an action_base or EMC_STAT but can't figure it out. any hints.....

It would also help as I am tinkering with QTvcp ......
Chris M

Well we can make that widget thing into an own section; you're right, the current GladeVCP manual already is a bit top-heavy

wrt: hal_glib and base widgets: this is Pavel's code and it is generally above my paygrade.. but maybe we can massage Pavel to jot down a few notes on which documentation for mere mortals can be based (that was my modus operandi ;)

- Michael

More
20 Oct 2012 11:49 #25482 by BigJohnT
Chris,

For now I added a link to the wiki page in the manual. This way you can edit the wiki easier when you want to add to it.

John

More
26 Oct 2012 08:57 #25832 by cmorley
Big John If I added the custom widget stuff to the manual, where would you want it?
I'm kinda thinking it belongs in the developers manual under some VCP/GUI heading...
Ideas?

More
26 Oct 2012 18:09 #25838 by BigJohnT
Chris,

The Developer manual is well hidden... I can add a chapter there if you want. IMHO it seems to me to fit right after the GladeVCP chapter. I can add a chapter to either place it's your call.

Or you can add it to the section I created in the GladeVCP part of the integrators manual.

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gui/gladevcp.html#_adding_custom_widgets

John

More
27 Oct 2012 15:58 - 27 Oct 2012 16:00 #25876 by ArcEye
Hi Chris

It would also help as I am tinkering with QTvcp

Out of interest, are you talking about the Qt python bindings or the main C++ libs?

Reason I ask is that I am just finishing writing a Qt specific C++ library class, which abstracts most of the HAL and NML commands.
I can then include an instance of the class in another and get access to all the Linuxcnc internals.

I have built simple VCPs in Qt Designer then initiated them though a minor QMainWindow inheritance, created hal pins etc and linked the VCP buttons to a running sim instance of Linuxcnc.

The main problem is not being able to do things, it could be used to write an entire GUI to replace Axis if required, but making it so that others could use it.
I anticipate requiring to write a scripting tool beyond even the old Qt3 uic tool, which will create the source code from the ui in its entirety, before the average user would find
it usable.

But it keeps me off the streets and I have learnt a lot about Linuxcnc internals B)

regards
Last edit: 27 Oct 2012 16:00 by ArcEye.

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds