Professional machinist GUI

More
09 Dec 2012 23:58 - 09 Dec 2012 23:58 #27461 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Professional machinist GUI

If I need to build a machine with the dev code, is there a way to get the RIP code onto the clients machine without all the source.

Does it need to be RIP? Master is available from the buildbot as a precompiled package. It is possible to just install it.
buildbot.linuxcnc.org
Last edit: 09 Dec 2012 23:58 by andypugh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2012 00:37 #27462 by mariusl
Replied by mariusl on topic Professional machinist GUI
I probably dont understand how the releases and source is structured. I was under the impression the 2.6-pre was just available as source and one builds it in your own RIP location.
If I want to use Gscreen, I would need the 2.6 source. Is it available as a package or do I have the cat by the tail here?

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
10 Dec 2012 00:55 #27464 by andypugh

I probably dont understand how the releases and source is structured. I was under the impression the 2.6-pre was just available as source and one builds it in your own RIP location.
If I want to use Gscreen, I would need the 2.6 source. Is it available as a package or do I have the cat by the tail here?

The buildbot creates nightly builds of the 2.5 and 2.6 development branches, and creates installable packages of each.

Note that even the 2.5 builds are development builds, bugfixes intended for the next official release etc.

Instructions on how to install them are on that buildbot page. I am not entirely sure I would want to be installing any development branch on a customer machine.

More
10 Dec 2012 01:30 #27465 by mariusl
Replied by mariusl on topic Professional machinist GUI

I am not entirely sure I would want to be installing any development branch on a customer machine.

Neither would I, but I have to start development of a custom setup and when I saw the Gscreen stuff, it looked to be the right way to go. So hopefully the release will happen by the time I am ready with the machine.

What is the time schedule for new releases if any?

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
10 Dec 2012 02:15 #27470 by cncbasher
I use the development version on customers machines without problems , all tested beforehand of course
for the same reason , I wish to use gscreen .

I just don't upgrade the customers machine and turn all updates off afterwards
I keep a customer build version separate from my full development , so it's quite easy to keep track of any problems before it happens

More
10 Dec 2012 08:55 #27485 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Professional machinist GUI
This is a pretty good way of doing it (if master has features you need). In fact that is really how the major releases are done.
eg 2.6 will be whatever master is when the time comes then master will continue to develop while 2.6 will get stabilized and bug fixes.
At least in theory - the last time 2.5 got a lot of new features added and there was no official stabilizing period. Anyways it seems to work out.

By and large Master stays pretty stable. So if you grab a snapshot and just use it and only update if there is a bug to fix, your pretty safe.
It seems enough people actually use master that bug reports come in fairly quickly. For instance I just fixed a bug i introduced in AXIS because a user pointed it out to us. (metric display was wrong).

Gscreen will never officially be introduced into the 2.5 series. It will be in the 2.6 series and that is a long way off I bet - unfortunately there isn't even a rough guide line for releases - bug fixes or major.

Chris M

More
10 Dec 2012 09:15 #27487 by andypugh

For instance I just fixed a bug i introduced in AXIS because a user pointed it out to us. (metric display was wrong).

Is that why my metric machine shows 254mm for a 10mm movement, (while moving 10mm). Or is that something else?

More
10 Dec 2012 09:27 #27488 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Professional machinist GUI
most likely. Are you using master? the fix has been pushed already.

The dro is wrong in metric mode but the machine tracks properly.

More
10 Dec 2012 09:41 #27491 by andypugh

most likely. Are you using master? the fix has been pushed already. The dro is wrong in metric mode but the machine tracks properly.

That sounds like exactly the problem description. I assumed I had an INI file setting wrong. :-)
(Perhaps a reasonable example of why Master is not always the right choice of branch to run)

More
10 Dec 2012 20:19 - 17 Dec 2012 23:35 #27503 by tjamscad
Replied by tjamscad on topic Professional machinist GUI
Tthe goal for this is to have a GUI that operators/machinest can use with little to no training not to make everyone happy. You can never make everyone happy. I have chosen a few guys here operators and machinest that i show and disucss these things with I dont talk to everyone in the shop.

I have added some closeups of the Haas control plus.google.com/photos/10704930871463576.../5818585863458903217
Last edit: 17 Dec 2012 23:35 by tjamscad.

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds