Touch Screen GUI

More
13 Dec 2012 22:42 #27675 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Touch Screen GUI
All of the above :)

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2012 23:09 - 13 Dec 2012 23:12 #27679 by tjamscad
Replied by tjamscad on topic Touch Screen GUI
Manual screen: Probe is not hardly ever used if at all
Sliders should be for percent of entered values from 0%-200%
What is touch off sugest renaming

Auto Mode: Sugest renaming to Run Mode
The display screen is not liked or used should be added under a graphics tab
Need program lines

Subroutine: Not used

Just some comments from around the shop ;)

Always use CAPS it is eaiser to reed and recoginze letters.
Last edit: 13 Dec 2012 23:12 by tjamscad.

More
13 Dec 2012 23:52 #27684 by BigJohnT
Touch off is the same as the Axis gui touch off button.

Tell the guys thanks for looking at it and I appreciate the comments.

John

More
14 Dec 2012 20:36 #27724 by BigJohnT
I have come to the conclusion that there is no one GUI that fits the bill for everyone. While the underlying code might work for 98% the GUI needs are vastly different.

I run mostly unique parts on my CHNC lathe and use ngcgui subroutines for 99.9% of the ops. I have to assume in a production shop someone is programming each part with a CAM program and that is what the operators use and they might make small changes to the part to meet a spec.

The logical thing to me is to be able to take Glade and build the GUI to fit the task/skills/environment and have the underlying code the same. This would enable a person with little programming skills to create the GUI that fits them perfectly.

John

More
14 Dec 2012 21:02 #27727 by BigJohnT
Ok back to our program...

When I use self.builder.connect_signals(self) is it possible to have the def in a module file instead of the main file?

John

More
14 Dec 2012 22:21 #27731 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Touch Screen GUI

I have come to the conclusion that there is no one GUI that fits the bill for everyone. While the underlying code might work for 98% the GUI needs are vastly different.

Yep, but what group of people ever agree on anything complex and the ability to easily customize the GUI is a great idea.

Rick G

More
15 Dec 2012 01:35 #27735 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Touch Screen GUI

Ok back to our program...
When I use self.builder.connect_signals(self) is it possible to have the def in a module file instead of the main file?
John

From what I have seen of python, a function (def) needs to be defined in its entirety before it is called.

Unless this def is actually part of a class in the main file, you should be able to define it in a separate module file and include it with
from modulename import functionname
(module would then need to be in the python path, /usr/lib/python2.6/ or whatever)

C++ and well structured C, use header files for forward definition and then everything slots together later, without requiring the function be spelled out before it is referenced.
But that is possible because it is compiled and linked in separate stages and initially a function call only needs to fit a definition template regards parameters and return type etc

regards

More
15 Dec 2012 06:02 #27739 by tjamscad
Replied by tjamscad on topic Touch Screen GUI

I have to assume in a production shop someone is programming each part with a CAM program and that is what the operators use and they might make small changes to the part to meet a spec.

Mostly correct, in our shop the parts are programed. Not all of the fixtures are and that is where the macihinest will write a program for a fixture.

More
15 Dec 2012 09:17 #27751 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Touch Screen GUI
Yes. That is what Gscreen and gladeVCP do to have separate 'handler' files
but its a complicated way to do it.

You can also pass a Dic to connect_signals and if you do you can add to that Dic from another file or module.

The one thing to remember about connect_signals is you can only call it once when using GTK builder files.

What are you trying to do?
Chris M

More
16 Dec 2012 00:20 #27772 by BigJohnT
I was trying to unclutter the main file, maybe the dictionary is the way to go then.

John

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds