Glade-gtk2 cannot find GladeVCP

More
10 Jul 2017 07:19 - 10 Jul 2017 07:28 #95580 by auto-mation-assist
I have set up a test computer with Mint 18.1 and I have an apparent search path problem that I do not know how to fix.
glade-gtk2 does not find gladevcp which for me is in: /home/cnc/linuxcnc-dev/lib/python/gladevcp

The terminal window that started glade-gtk2 in the desktop shows the following.

cnc@cnc-Precision-WorkStation-T3500 ~/Desktop $ glade-gtk2
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named gladevcp
GladeUI-Message: No displayable values for property GtkToolPalette::icon-size
GladeUI-Message: No displayable values for property GtkToolItemGroup::ellipsize
GladeUI-Message: No displayable values for property GtkToolItemGroup::header-relief

(glade-3:2602): GladeUI-WARNING **: We could not find the symbol "h_al__hide_table_get_type"
(glade-3:2602): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not get the type from "HAL_HideTable"
(glade-3:2602): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load the GType for 'HAL_HideTable'
(glade-3:2602): GladeUI-WARNING **: We could not find the symbol "h_al__hbox_get_type"

It continues with more of the same relating to HAL and EMC.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can get glade-gtk2 and gladevcp working as a team? I have searched past posts but have not found a cure yet.
Last edit: 10 Jul 2017 07:28 by auto-mation-assist.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2017 09:40 #95584 by rodw
Try running glade from the command line after running the rip-environment script. That's working for me. It won't run from a shortcut or menu entry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: auto-mation-assist

More
12 Jul 2017 02:12 #95703 by auto-mation-assist
Rodw, I ran a terminal in the linuxcnc folder and did the rip-environment script and then started glade with glade-gtk2 in the same terminal window and glade no longer complained about missing anything except some missing icons.

I wanted to make some changes to gmoccapy and found that that in order to have glade-gtk2 successfully complete loading the gmoccapy.glade file that linuxcnc also needs to be running or the file will stop loading with a error part way through relating to DRO polling.

To overcome this I also had to get linuxcnc itself running. To do that I used my normal configuration files to start linuxcnc rip in its own terminal window and after linuxcnc started up the gmoccapy.glade file loaded into glade-gtk2 successfully for my attempt at making some minor modifications.

I did read some where that the gmoccapy gui needs configpath=os.environment data from its get_info.py file that gives back a try:except response which is not available when linuxcnc is not running. I wonder if that was the issue with the glade file not completing to load into glade-gtk2 initially and stop loading at a DRO polling error.

I have glade-gtk2 working ok but I feel like it puts us back nearly to the apple II days.

More
12 Jul 2017 02:19 #95705 by rodw
Glad you made progress.

Strange. I have not tried editing the main gmocappy glade file but I think I opened it once. I have edited the two gmoccappy plasma tabs (plasma.glade and signals.glade) without LinuxCNC running. I typically closed linuxcnc and opened glade from the same terminal window.

I've only edited gmocappy.py to chase down some bugs which are now fixed. To tweak the GUI, you might like to consider just editing or replacing some tabs as this will make it much easier to maintain your code.To tweak stuff on the main screen, have a look at how the plasma sim does it (with tabs)

More
18 Jul 2017 21:43 - 18 Jul 2017 21:46 #96025 by newbynobi
I fixed that CombiDRO bug a few days ago, so just pull the latest master and glade will open the gmoccapy.glade file.

Norbert

fix to CombiDRO
Last edit: 18 Jul 2017 21:46 by newbynobi.

Moderators: mhaberlerHansU
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds