Master 2.9 >> Python3, GladeVCP {have the files been upgraded or now depricated}

More
04 Aug 2021 21:43 #216942 by robertspark
Hello,

Has the GladeVCP files been reviewed + updated in light of the change from Python2 to Python3

I have upgraded to the current master, and I've had a few issues that seem related to gladevcp files (ive run 1 through python 2to3 script and it changed a few things), but it still would not load a folder within the

/usr/share/linuxcnc/aux_gladevcp/

folder which it seems are loaded via the __init__.py file within the following folder

/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gladevcp/

linuxcnc is not happy with line 57
55    for auxdir in glob.glob(gladevcp_aux_apps_dir + b"/*"):
56        print("gladevcp: auxiliary dir:",auxdir)
57        for fname in glob.glob(auxdir + "/*.py"):

where it states a TypeError: cant concat str to bytes

I deleted the folder within
/usr/share/linuxcnc/aux_gladevcp/
that it was trying to load,

then an error was thrown up from within the  
"/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gladevcp/iconview.py", line 404, in show_filelabel
    self.file_label.hide()
AttributeError: 'IconFileSelection' object has no attribute 'file_label'

i installed linuxcnc via iso and then have upgraded via buildbot to run master 2.9

..... what am i doing wrong..... I can run the python 2to3 sript on all files which throw up errors.... but really i kind of think that someone should be able to install from iso, update to master and linuxcnc should run..... sure i know that python 2 to 3 was a major change and likley to throw up these sorts of issues..... (i am using the dev release.... ).... but is there a plan to sort these sorts of things.... should i be doing something else..... am i doing something wrong.....

should i save my configs, wipe and start again (seems a bit extreme, given i started with 2.8.1 iso / usb install..... ) 

seems that the change from python 2 >> 3 was a major change affecting a lot of files and probably wants a major rev number to baseline the change of what worked well.... and what doesn't seem to work....

nope, im not having a rant (it may seem like it, but im not!)..... just thinking im clearly doing something wrong with my buildbot update.... and maybe should restart from somewhere as obviously the guys who may be running gladevcp bits are probably working fine

yes I am running gmoccapy..... but that is obviously just calling glade vcp files that are not loading happy (as maybe they are python 2 files????

I am happy to update files and make them available for the repository, but im no expert at python, and short of just running the python 2to3 script, im not going to be much help if errors are still being thrown from dependent files such as the first one listed above
TypeError: cant concat str to bytes
(sure i know what it means but not sure how to fix it in python)

also getting files approved to migrate into the repository seems to be a slow process (which I appreciate it as you dont want someone breaking linuxcnc with some spurious code [which is ironic because of the way the change from python 2 >>3 seems to have been done as I don't think linuxcnc should not be throwing these sorts of errors from dependent files if the change had been tested and ALL files were updated to python3 [and tested?])

again.... not having a rant ..... but please appreciate that i installed from iso (2.8.1).... updated to master via buildbot and other than NativeCAM being added which I have removed] its a "std" linuxcnc iso install....

help>>> did i miss an idiots guide i should be doing as i expect it may catch out others who too may be installing from iso and updating to master the same as me

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2021 01:44 #216949 by cmorley
Gladevcp was converted to python3/gtk3
It is certainly possible some things were missed.

str vrs byte is a major change between python 2 and python 3

So you may have in fact found a bug.
you could register an issue on linuxcnc's github if you can describe the problem definitively.

Master is never guaranteed to be stable.
Traditionally it has been pretty rock solid but the python/gtk issue is huge.
Linuxcnc has python everywhere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: robertspark

More
05 Aug 2021 08:40 #216955 by robertspark
I fully appreciate and expect master never ever to be stable, I am just surprised at the way that the change from python 2 to 3 was done, with what appears to be total disregard for the knock on effects of that significant change
ive seen at least one post on the ML along the lines of ".... it was announced 2 months ago..."

and??!!  the implications of that change are quite significant to some of the supporting code ....

it also does not seem to take account of the backward compatibility or baselining the change for code which may be outside of the linuxcnc repository (such as NativeCAM) and no doubt others.

is this not a major change from 2.9 to 3.0? or 2.9 to 2.10? given the knock on implications that just don't seem to have been considered by those that did the change as to how many things it may affect.

More
10 Aug 2021 23:48 #217435 by andypugh

is this not a major change from 2.9 to 3.0? or 2.9 to 2.10? given the knock on implications that just don't seem to have been considered by those that did the change as to how many things it may affect.

No, this will be a major change from 2.8 to 2.9. 

(And is probably what will drive the 2.9 release) 

More
11 Aug 2021 00:58 #217455 by cmorley

More
11 Aug 2021 07:10 #217475 by robertspark
what made the major change of 1.0 to 2.0?

More
15 Aug 2021 20:08 #217844 by andypugh

what made the major change of 1.0 to 2.0?

"EMC" was the original NIST "Enhanced Machine Controller"
"EMC2" was the name given to the project when it was picked up as an open-source project. 

(Then lawyers became involved and we had to change the name to LinuxCNC).

So, in my opinion the project will always be EMC2 and the version numbers will be 2.9, 2.10.....

More
15 Aug 2021 20:47 #217845 by robertspark

More
15 Aug 2021 20:55 - 15 Aug 2021 20:56 #217846 by robertspark
oh, i see why someone got upset with emc2 (in the logo...)... funny they are now owned by dell. oh well i guess it keeps the lawyers in a job as the would be unemployed otherwise

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_EMC
Last edit: 15 Aug 2021 20:56 by robertspark.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
16 Aug 2021 00:30 - 16 Aug 2021 00:56 #217852 by cmorley
emc/linuxcnc had nothing to do with 1.0 vrs 2.0.

HAL was the reason.
in 1.0 there was no HAL

which as Andy hinted was added between emc and emc2
Last edit: 16 Aug 2021 00:56 by cmorley.

Moderators: mhaberlerHansU
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds