installing GladeVCP toolchain on Rasberry PI from Image

More
25 Oct 2021 14:10 #224265 by geo01005
I have installed LinuxCNC from the "LinuxCNC 2.8.1 Raspberry Pi OS based on Debian 10 Buster" image from the linuxcnc download section. I have my CNC machine all setup and working, but I'm working on adding functionality. I would like to use gladeVCP to do this. 

Following the advice of I've found on the forum I've attempted to add the right version of gladeVCP to the install. This is what I've done so far:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install glade-3
sudo apt-get install linuxcnc-uspace-dev

This installed, what I believe is the correct version of glade (3.8.6) 
However, none of the HAL widgets are available. 

when I open glade from the command line using "glade-3" from the command line this is a portion the error message I get: 
pi@linuxcnc:/usr/share/glade3 $ glade-3
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named gladevcp

(glade-3:16395): GladeUI-WARNING **: 08:01:12.731: We could not find the symbol "h_al__hide_table_get_type"

(glade-3:16395): GladeUI-WARNING **: 08:01:12.732: Could not get the type from "HAL_HideTable"

(glade-3:16395): GladeUI-WARNING **: 08:01:12.732: Failed to load the GType for 'HAL_HideTable'

From my perspective adding a gladeVCP panel to my machine is more of a "configuration" activity of Linuxcnc rather than a development activity. I think that I understand that the setup will be a bit different that doing this with a run in place build. I don't really want to do this with a run in place build because I perceive that there is some reliability associated with using the release version of Linuxcnc without me introducing errors. 

I'm not sure what I've done incorrectly, I suppose it is likely that I don't have the right PATH setup for the HAL components to be found correctly, but I'm not sure how to check, or what to modify. Some pointers would be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2021 12:49 #224504 by andypugh
For Buster-amd64 we supply a package called glade-gtk2 but that is glade-3 version 3.8.6 so I think that you probably do have the right version.

Can you run the GladeVCP samples?

If so, a workaround might be to develop on an x86 PC and then run on the Pi. But I accept that isn't an elegant answer.

More
05 Nov 2021 04:54 - 06 Nov 2021 17:33 #225354 by geo01005
I went ahead and installed linuxcnc on a virtual machine on my x86 windows box. Thanks!
Last edit: 06 Nov 2021 17:33 by geo01005.

Moderators: mhaberlerHansU
Time to create page: 0.059 seconds