Gantry with two different size motors on X-axis

More
12 Jan 2016 15:57 #68243 by Rick G

I'm aiming for a simple configuration and to my understanding a similar gear ratio across the axis is a good thing

But, again not necessary.

Rick G

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2016 18:30 - 12 Jan 2016 18:31 #68268 by kemes

I'm aiming for a simple configuration and to my understanding a similar gear ratio across the axis is a good thing

But, again not necessary.

Rick G

Ok, just out of curiosity and will to learn. Let's say that the gear ratio wasn't the same. What would be the suggested way of configuring the system (we can assume that the motors are similar)?
Last edit: 12 Jan 2016 18:31 by kemes.

More
12 Jan 2016 18:47 #68269 by andypugh

Ok, just out of curiosity and will to learn. Let's say that the gear ratio wasn't the same. What would be the suggested way of configuring the system (we can assume that the motors are similar)?

In HAL you would use two separate stepgens with different scales. They would both see the same absolute position commands, but would output different numbers of steps to get there.
Then you would need to net them to separate parallel port pins and each to a different stepper drive.

More
12 Jan 2016 18:54 #68270 by Todd Zuercher
That depends if you want to use Trivkins or Gantrykins.
A Gantrykins confg would would be the same as an ordinary Gantrykins set up using the appropriate step scale for each motor.
With Trivkins, you would just set up another stepgen, and connect it to the same outputs as the master joint, then apply the appropriate stepgen.N.position-scale for the new motor's gear ratio. (Just leave the feedback pins from the slave stepgen unconnected.)

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds