Dual Z issue with tandem Z: wiring seems fine, but no movement

More
10 Jan 2023 05:36 #261425 by rodw
Yes I learnt to do that but not sure if Z can home first if its a joint axis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doug @ Design8Studio.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2023 05:43 #261426 by phillc54
From the docs:
"The initial HOME_SEQUENCE number may be 0, 1 (or -1). The absolute value of sequence numbers must increment by one — skipping sequence numbers is not supported. If a sequence number is omitted, HOME ALL homing will stop upon completion of the last valid sequence number."

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/config/ini-...l#sec:homing-section

More
10 Jan 2023 12:54 #261439 by Doug @ Design8Studio.com

Yes I learnt to do that but not sure if Z can home first if its a joint axis.

Hey, just touching base again to say that I am getting Z to home first even though it's a joint axis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
10 Jan 2023 18:37 #261476 by Todd Zuercher

I thought the first non-negative joint needed to be a 0, then sequential. eg X = 0, Y=Y2 = -1, Z=Z2= -2
Just play with the order to see if you can home Z first in case it collides with something

Zero was required before the JA-merger and the multiple joint axis homing arrangement using the minus sign was added. After that zero became problematic so it's requirement was removed and its use was made optional. It was made optional rather than removing it completely to prevent breaking existing working configurations.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw, Doug @ Design8Studio.com

More
10 Jan 2023 19:18 #261482 by rodw

I thought the first non-negative joint needed to be a 0, then sequential. eg X = 0, Y=Y2 = -1, Z=Z2= -2
Just play with the order to see if you can home Z first in case it collides with something

Zero was required before the JA-merger and the multiple joint axis homing arrangement using the minus sign was added. After that zero became problematic so it's requirement was removed and its use was made optional. It was made optional rather than removing it completely to prevent breaking existing working configurations.

Thanks Todd, For somebody like me who set up a Joint axis machine jast after JA was merged when nobody knew anything about JA homing, the changed procedures are quite confusing.

What I think is now expected is that you number your homing sequence in absolute numbers starting at 1 and then add a negative sign to those which are to be homed jointly. Oh and by the way, you can also start with -1 (like me) or 0 becasue some people used to do it that way.

I find the revised docs confusing as they don't really outline how to set up your homing sequence. This machine is a bit unusual with two Joint Axis pairs.

More
10 Jan 2023 21:33 - 10 Jan 2023 21:34 #261495 by Todd Zuercher
Isn't that what the docs say? I wouldn't know for sure whats there, I haven't read through that section for years, not since soon after the merger of JA. That said, I think all the machines I work with are still on 2.7. But if all goes as planned I will be refitting one of them to use a dual joint Y axis plus 8 extra joints to run individual Z axis on a gang router later this year. It isn't going to be like a normal multi joint axis, because each spindle joint will need to retain the ability to be operated independently and/or with the common Z each with it's own tool offset. (This is going to be fun.)
Last edit: 10 Jan 2023 21:34 by Todd Zuercher.

More
11 Jan 2023 01:30 #261523 by rodw

Isn't that what the docs say? 

In an obscure fashion as only an engineer could :)

Your gag router does indeed sound like fun!

More
11 Jan 2023 02:11 #261527 by tommylight

Isn't that what the docs say? 

In an obscure fashion as only an engineer could :)

I must be an engineer ( :) ) as what i gathered from that was that the numbering stay the same, just add - to tandem ones with the same number.
That was plenty of years ago, when i did the Esab retrofit, i did edit the hal and ini manually then and luckily it worked on first try! :) Still working every day.

More
11 Jan 2023 02:43 #261530 by snowgoer540
For what it’s worth I’ll chime in that if you add a negative sign to a non-tandem joint’s sequence, it just prevents you from jogging that joint prior to homing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Doug @ Design8Studio.com

More
11 Jan 2023 04:24 #261534 by rodw
I think I've been stuck in the old way of JA for a long time...
I have read the changed docs many times but it never bumped me out of a rut... So thanks Todd!

@snowgoer, you can also prevent jogging before homing by leaving out the kinstype=b from this ini line
KINEMATICS = trivkins coordinates=XYYZ
I removed it years ago becasue several of the GUI's could not handle jogging before homing at the time (bugs abounded, a bit like with the more recent python version transition....)

Time to create page: 0.436 seconds