Dual Z issue with tandem Z: wiring seems fine, but no movement

More
11 Jan 2023 06:32 #261539 by phillc54

you can also prevent jogging before homing by leaving out the kinstype=b from this ini line
KINEMATICS = trivkins coordinates=XYYZ

I can jog an AXIS based machine before homing whether kinstype=b is included or not. Synchronised joints do not jog either way (except I have some HAL magic to allow them to be jogged via my pendant).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2023 10:52 - 11 Jan 2023 10:53 #261551 by rodw
So more changes to the code I didn't know about. I had to remove kinstype=b to keep gmocappy happy when I started after I found some bugs which must be well and truly fixed by now.
kinstype=b is now GUI specific linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/kins.9.html#DESCRIPTION so don't rely on it away from axis.

I don't have any experience prior to 2.8. I've never understood why somebody would want to jog a machine before its homed (except for those lazy ones who don't bother adding home switches.... You know wh0 they are Phil :) ) I tried using a 3 axis machine with immediate homing and added home switches to all axes real quick.

My other pet hate is that stepconf and pncconf never truly adopted the independent joints model (a better term than JA) because they insist on using x,y,z,a descriptors. They should be j0,j1,j2,j3 in the ini and hal. My OCDC has  reworked that by hand. If set up that way you can easilly swap axis assignments with coordinates=NNNN and still understand the files. Say you set a machine up with X on the gantry but a customer says that should be Y in his shop. (been there done that and it confused the sh#t out of me). You can just change coordinates=XYYZ to coordinates=YXXZ and everything still makes sense, You can do it as these tools stand but you get stepgens for the X named as Y. I've long since lost the argument on this but it would be nice if there was a setting that allowed a pncconf/stepconf user could choose between XYZ labels and JO J1 J2 labels.

Ethercat is actually a breath of fresh air as slaves are numbered from 0 (I just put  additional I/O slaves after the drives on the bus to satisfy my OCDC and reduce confusion). You don't really want x & y to be slaves 8 & 9.

Last edit: 11 Jan 2023 10:53 by rodw.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds