Secure (8) error Won't update

More
05 May 2023 15:53 #270735 by Routerworks
This get tiring.  Now when I use sudo apt-get update here is what I get:

$ sudo apt-get update
Ign:1 cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 10 _Buster_ - Official Snapshot amd64 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20210706-21:57] buster InRelease
Err:2 cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 10 _Buster_ - Official Snapshot amd64 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20210706-21:57] buster Release
  Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
Hit:3 www.linuxcnc.org buster InRelease
Reading package lists... Done      
E: The repository 'cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 10 _Buster_ - Official Snapshot amd64 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20210706-21:57] buster Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

Also no "lsusb" response or "ipconfig"
Can't download these utilities because it won't let me get to Github.

Would appreciate help understanding this.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2023 20:13 #270749 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Secure (8) error Won't update
Ensure you have an internet connection
edit /etc/apt/sources.list (you need sudo)
comment out the lines that refer to the cdrom
then do a sudo apt update

​​​​​​​The issue is you have told apt to look at the cd first.  You want it to just go to the Debian repos.

More
06 May 2023 12:46 #270792 by Routerworks
Thanks a lot for your advice. Not sure I fully understand. Apparently "apt-get update" automatically looks for the repositories on a CD rom? Honestly don't know how to comment out lines as you suggest. If you could offer some code that would be a big help, if not thanks anyway.

Regards

More
06 May 2023 12:53 #270793 by Aciera
Maybe post the content of /etc/apt/sources.list so we can advise more clearly.

More
06 May 2023 13:04 - 06 May 2023 13:06 #270794 by tommylight
This is the second time i am reading about this error lately on this forum, this is the error you get if you do a copy from USB to hard drive using DD or some cloning software.
So the question is, how did you install it?
Are you the same one having the same issue twice?
To avoid this in the future, download ISO, use BalenaEtcher or any other utility to copy it properly to USB drive, boot the PC you want to install to from that USB, press enter at the grub menu-do not select any other option-whatever is selected leave it there, use the Installer from the Desktop or from the menu, follow installer-do not select stuff-leave default, reboot after finishing.
On first boot, first thing to do
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
After this, install whatever you want, delete whatever, etc, etc.
Last edit: 06 May 2023 13:06 by tommylight. Reason: typo/editor with breaks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aciera

More
06 May 2023 13:40 #270795 by Routerworks
Thanks for your response. I have done some reading regarding rodw suggestion and think I can comment out the cd lines in source.list. If this doesn't work I have downloaded the ISO and have Balena for re-install. Think this is the first time I am asking this question.
Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

More
06 May 2023 15:24 #270799 by tommylight

Think this is the first time I am asking this question.

Good and not good! :)
Was hoping it was you, was going to ask what did you follow for the install procedure as this issue is not often asked, to avoid others from using it.
Now i have to keep monitoring ... :(
Thank you.
And feel free to report if you encounter the same or other issues.

More
06 May 2023 21:11 #270818 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Secure (8) error Won't update

This is the second time i am reading about this error lately on this forum, this is the error you get if you do a copy from USB to hard drive using DD or some cloning software.

Me too. I think installing from a livecd is meant to remove the cd lines from sources.list on completion. Maybe it's not working.

router works. 2 ways to edit,
quick not friendly way
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Nicer graphical more friendly way after installing geany text editor
sudo apt update
sudo apt install geany
sudo geany /etc/apt/sources.list

To just dump the contents to the console to see what's in there
sudo cat /etc/apt/sources.list
​​​​​​​

More
06 May 2023 21:49 #270823 by Routerworks
Update.
I was able to get into the sources.list and uncomment the cd lines as rodw suggested. It worked, was able to update and upgrade. Also was able to view sources.list with cat /etc....
This was a great learning curve for me. Gives you a real boost until the nest brick wall comes along. Speak of brick walls, I am trying to down load a wifi driver from github. When I use the recommended commands I get a "can't find it response".
It's a Tp-link ac600 which is probably the worst usb wifi adapter I could have purchased. Went through this some time ago and received more help than I should have but got it working on a different system. Learned a lot more in the meantime so I can understand if no one wants to bother with this.
However if I could understand why I can't git to work and can't download it as well that would be a big help. I was able to update and upgrade successfully.

Thanks again
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
06 May 2023 21:56 #270824 by Routerworks
All else seems good. Apparently I don't have the "git" capability.

Time to create page: 0.569 seconds