Secure (8) error Won't update

More
06 May 2023 22:07 #270826 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Secure (8) error Won't update
try
sudo apt install git

This wifi driver issue is annoying. There is so much hardware not supported in Buster; Many of the repos don't work anymore.
This was why I moved to later OS
It seems driver support was added in Bullseye and it's also in bookworm
packages.debian.org/bookworm/firmware-realtek

If you are unable to resolve this, I would recommend you install Debian Bookworm by following my instructions
docs.google.com/document/d/1jeV_4VKzVmOI...diY/edit?usp=sharing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2023 22:30 #270828 by Routerworks
Will this mess up my Linuxcnc?

More
06 May 2023 23:22 #270831 by tommylight
No.
It takes quite some doing to break things in Linux.

More
06 May 2023 23:38 #270835 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Secure (8) error Won't update
You should just be able to save and copy your ~/linuxcnc/configs folder

More
07 May 2023 17:23 #270872 by Routerworks
Can't thank you gentlemen enough. Your both much farther ahead of the curve than I am. I think I need to do some more reading and get a better understanding of the various components of the "Linux" system and the relationship of Linux to Debian to linuxcnc. For me I need a basic understanding of the system before I start moving things around.
I want to continue learning Linux and plan to act on the suggestions above. I'll let you know how I do.

Many thanks,

Routerworks
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
09 May 2023 16:45 #271038 by Routerworks
Well quite a learning curve. I was able to download and install Debian 11. All went well. Came to log on screen and entered by user name and password. After that the whole screen turned into a wall of pixels. no shape or form. Can't do anything or get anywhere with the mouse or can't open up the terminal with control T.
Looked like the install went smoothly. Had this sort of thing happen once before when I tried to install Linux Mint. Opening Linuxcnc was a trove horizontal lines. Thought it might be the video processor couldn't handle it. this is an older Dell insperon computer.
Might have to do a complete iso install of a defferent os?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

More
09 May 2023 17:15 #271042 by tommylight
Open the PC, check if there is an add on graphic card.
If yes, yank it out.
Try booting (no reinstall just boot).
If not, yank out the CPU cooler, clean said cooler and top of processor, andddd oh well you would need thermal paste to put there.
Also the power supply can cause such issue, but rarely, so check if any of the capacitors has a domed top.
If yes, change PC.

More
09 May 2023 17:22 #271044 by Routerworks
Thanks, I'll give it a go.

More
14 May 2023 18:32 #271361 by Routerworks
That did it. After a lot of work cleaning out the venting system I was able to reassemble the heat sink shroud. Huge amount of dust and dirt. Long story how to do this as the heat sink was epoxied to the processor. Not meant to coma apart.

To the point. I was able install linuxcnc 2.8.4. I have to go into "boot menu" and change the boot disc. Doesn't work from the set up menu F12. Ok I can live with that. The screen loads no problem. Everything looks very good. I configured the cnc using the Stepwizard the same way. It loads great.

Only apparent problem is that It doesn't seem to see the parallel port.
I used dmesg|grep parport and go:
at 0x9800 IRQ 17 PCSPP, tristate, EPP
also at 0x9000..............same
Tried both port numbers and no connection
lspci lists about 6 port numbers. Tried them all and no movement.

I'm sure this is fixable just don't know exactly how. Greatly appreciate any help you can provide. Learned a lot from all of you so far.

Thanks

More
15 May 2023 15:02 #271404 by Routerworks
I actually got this figured out. Once I inverted the E stop pin and went back to 0x9800 address every thing is working. As far as the tp-link ac600 wifi is concerned I'll fool with that another day. Right now I can use an ethernet connection to a laptop if I need to get on to the internet. Once I get a functioning machine I would rather not have any connection to the outside. Just want it to run the machine.
Many many thanks. I learned a lot.

Routerworks

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds