Spindle Encoder Issues

More
17 Nov 2023 09:19 #285711 by blazini36
Replied by blazini36 on topic Spindle Encoder Issues

I currently have two issues with my spindle encoder I just installed. The first is figuring out how to get the speed feedback bar working in gmoccapy. The second is the feedback rpm is not at all correct above about 300rpm. I am working with a C11G parport board.

On the first issue, I know I need to put "net spindle-fb-rpm-abs-filtered => gmoccapy.spindle_feedback_bar" and "net spindle-at-speed => gmoccapy.spindle_at_speed_led" in the custom postgui hal file, and that's fine, but the problem is I'm not sure how to set up the main hal file to get the "spindle-fb-rpm-abs-filtered" output. I have looked as much as I can but other people have them set up for ethernet setups instead of parport. If anyone could guide me in the right direction to set up the spindle output, that would be great. I have been testing the rpm in axis with the pyvcp panel since gmoccapy feedback isn't working.

Not sure where you read about using that signal but you don't actually have a filter, or an absolute rpm output in your hal file. You need to pass the encoder rpm output  into a "lowpass"(filter) component then an "abs" component to shave the sign off, then you connect the that output to the signal you are referring to. Right now your hal file only uses the encoder's rps output, which you should probably stick a filter in as well if you ever plan to use G95/G96.

Honestly you should ditch the parallel port and get a controller, you're PC isn't doing too well with that. Very doubtful your problem is noise, encoders are generally optical and have shielded cables, it doesn't even sound like it's coupled to a motor in your case.....you shouldn't have noise issues on the encoder unless it's complete garbage or it's scooping up noise from some Chiing Chong Ding Dang VFD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds