/usr/bin/wine: 40: exec: exec format error

More
04 Sep 2023 07:55 #279793 by skrutinizer
Installed linuxcnc rtai on buster but wine only works for some 64bit apps if using wine64 /path/to/app. The same concerns winecfg ie i have to write wine64 winecfg. If putting wine instead of wine64 'exec format error' is printed with some number, usually 36. Upgrading wine or replacing staging by stable did not help. How can it be fixed? Is linuxcnc compiled without support of 32bit?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2023 08:16 #279797 by Aciera
Can you elaborate a bit on why you need wine for linuxcnc?

More
04 Sep 2023 09:48 #279808 by skrutinizer
I am testing rtai vs preemptive kernel for realtime capabilities. I have already achieved some success with preemptive stock kernel based on patches. However rtai seems more promising but i can't compare them directly because of wine's failure manifesting in that exec format error.

More
05 Sep 2023 03:15 #279916 by rodw
I'm a bit lost too. WINE = Wine Is not an Emulator = an environment to run Woindows applications on Linux.
There is nothing Windows about  LInuxcnc. Its pure Linux so Wine is not in play at all.

More
05 Sep 2023 12:15 #279952 by tommylight
Wine will most probably not work with RT kernels, but i never tested it as i do not use anything windows, except some very old laptops.

More
05 Sep 2023 15:30 #279991 by skrutinizer
Linux has no good musical software for music production. That's why we have to use wine + linvst. It does not break rt as you say because i can run 50-track project on rt patches based linux with latency 1ms provided there are no samplers loaded because they tend to break rt. That is buffer 16/3 in the daw. With samplers i have to use 32/3. Wine with linvst only introduce some cpu overhead without damaging rt. What indeed breaks rt is graphics, for example if having midi editor piano roll open during playback - then glitches occur as roll is scrolled to the next page. To address graphics glitches reaper daw uses some setting in buffering section like prerendering of ui and that with idle-critical. Unfortunately it still does not help with piano roll for example. Vsts usually process audio within 150-400 microseconds.

More
05 Sep 2023 15:38 #279993 by rmu
I would like to see a picture of your music-producing CNC hardware.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cornholio

More
05 Sep 2023 15:44 - 05 Sep 2023 15:45 #279997 by Aciera
I have really no clue about LinVST but there are some instructions on installing this on debian as well:
github.com/osxmidi/LinVst/releases

The Debian package installs linvst.so into /usr/share/LinVst/64bit-32bit and installs linvstconvert into /usr/bin

Last edit: 05 Sep 2023 15:45 by Aciera.

More
05 Sep 2023 16:09 #280003 by skrutinizer
Linvstconvert does not convert 64/32 bit. It just copies linux native .so file and renames it to have same name as windows vsts. Linvst supports both 32 and 64 bit windows vsts having 2 lin-vst-servers but all of them are linked to wine and not wine64 binary but wine binary does not work on linuxcnc.

More
05 Sep 2023 18:10 #280012 by tommylight

Linux has no good musical software for music production.

On what planet do you live?
See "Ubuntu Studio", also see big box movies edited with open source tools, and be amazed !

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds