Compiling from source errors

More
08 Nov 2011 11:06 #14670 by stevec
I have been compiling EMC --enable-simulation, from the git repositories on a Debian6 system without problems until recently.

I manged to break the Debian system by faffing around with the testing repositories, that is now fixed, but I can't compile EMC any more.

I have changed the kernel to linux-image-3.0.0-1-amd64, can somebody give me a clue what else might have changed?

The relevant bit of the compile/link process seems to be

/usr/bin/ld: objects/emc/task/taskclass.o: undefined reference to symbol 'PythonPlugin::configure(char const*, char const*, _inittab*, Interp*)'

/usr/bin/ld: note: 'PythonPlugin::configure(char const*, char const*, _inittab*, Interp*)' is defined in DSO /home/steve/storage/emc2-dev/lib/libpyplugin.so.0 so try adding it to the linker command line

/home/steve/storage/emc2-dev/lib/libpyplugin.so.0: could not read symbols: Invalid operation

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2011 11:19 #14671 by andypugh
There is a new dependency (libboost-python-dev) and you probably need to make clean after installing it.

More
08 Nov 2011 20:40 #14699 by stevec
Thanks, I tried reinstalling the libboost-python-dev package but it made no difference.
Whatever is wrong has affected heekscad/heekscnc as well.
I will continue poking around and if I find out what it is I will post details back here.

More
11 Nov 2011 06:15 #14754 by mhaberler
could you do the following:

cd src
make clean
make V=1

and post the output to pastebin.com or upload it somewhere so I can have a look?

-Michael

More
11 Nov 2011 08:10 - 11 Nov 2011 08:14 #14756 by stevec
I have posted the tail end of the process to pastebin.com/3912AbUv

I can now get heekscad to compile, but EMC stops at exactly the same place still.

Edit : it was on pastebin I will update the link above when I find it again
Last edit: 11 Nov 2011 08:14 by stevec.

More
11 Nov 2011 08:40 #14758 by mhaberler
thanks

it seems to me that src/emc/pythonplugin/Submakefile has an error, but I dont understand why
it throws on your platform but not on 8.04 and 10.04

could you try the following:

change src/emc/pythonplugin/Submakefile:

../lib/libpyplugin.so.0: $(patsubst %.cc,objects/%.o,$(LIBPPSRCS)) ../lib/libemcini.so

to read

libpyplugin.so.0: $(patsubst %.cc,objects/%.o,$(LIBPPSRCS)) ../lib/libemcini.so

and try to recompile?

-Michael

More
11 Nov 2011 08:58 #14759 by stevec
It brings up a new error

Compiling emc/rs274ngc/rs274ngc_pre.cc
/usr/bin/g++ -c -I. -Ilibnml/linklist -Ilibnml/cms -Ilibnml/rcs -Ilibnml/inifile -Ilibnml/os_intf -Ilibnml/nml -Ilibnml/buffer -Ilibnml/posemath -Irtapi -Ihal -Iemc/nml_intf -Iemc/kinematics -Iemc/motion -Iemc/ini -Iemc/rs274ngc -Iemc/pythonplugin -I/home/steve/storage/emc2-dev/src/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -Os -g -Wall -DULAPI -fPIC emc/rs274ngc/rs274ngc_pre.cc -o objects/emc/rs274ngc/rs274ngc_pre.o
emc/rs274ngc/rs274ngc_pre.cc: In member function ‘int Interp::remap_finished(int)’:
emc/rs274ngc/rs274ngc_pre.cc:543:6: warning: format ‘%d’ expects argument of type ‘int’, but argument 8 has type ‘std::set<int>::size_type {aka long unsigned int}’ [-Wformat]
make: *** No rule to make target `../lib/libpyplugin.so', needed by `../lib/librs274.so.0'. Stop.
make: Leaving directory `/home/steve/storage/emc2-dev/src'

It is strange that this has only happened since I tried Gnome3 (now removed) from testing . There are a few google results about the original linker errors but they are beyond my understanding.

More
11 Nov 2011 11:27 #14762 by cncbasher
you may find reverting python to version 2.6 instead of the latest 2.7 fixes ...
their are i belive some parts of EMC which are hardcoded or linked to python 2.6 , you could try searching the makefile and changing entrys etc , just a thought

upgrading to latest versions is alway fraught with danger ! , you never know whats left behind

More
11 Nov 2011 12:17 #14763 by mhaberler
strange. what does 'ls -l lib' say?

this is what I have in lib, and that looks ok:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 mah mah 16 2011-11-10 08:16 libpyplugin.so -> libpyplugin.so.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 mah mah 312532 2011-11-10 08:16 libpyplugin.so.0

-mah

More
11 Nov 2011 12:18 #14764 by mhaberler
re Python 2.6 path: not with a recent master, this is now autoconfig-derived

-mah

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds