EMC2 won't start, errors

More
30 Mar 2012 02:51 #18865 by centaur
Replied by centaur on topic Re:EMC2 won't start, errors
Hi again John - I found 8.04 live and tried it in the HP machine I have been working with. It did much better - actually displayed the Axis GUI but with the low half of the screen hashed horizontally. Error msg. reads 'unexpected real time delay - check dmesg for details' The file is attached. Maybe the HP box is not a good candidate?
Thanks for the time and effort looking at the big files which I have not the ability to interpret their meaning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2012 02:53 - 30 Mar 2012 02:55 #18866 by centaur
Hi again John - I found 8.04 live and tried it in the HP machine I have been working with. It did much better - actually displayed the Axis GUI but with the low half of the screen hashed horizontally. Error msg. reads 'unexpected real time delay - check dmesg for details' The file is attached. Maybe the HP box is not a good candidate?
Thanks for the time and effort looking at the big files which I have not the ability to interpret their meaning.

File Attachment:

File Name: DMESG___U8.pdf
File Size:50 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Mar 2012 02:55 by centaur.

More
30 Mar 2012 08:43 #18868 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:EMC2 won't start, errors
Hi

If you a going for 8.04, which is probably sensible, you now need to operate in a methodical fashion.

Install it, don't run from Live CD, and that will eliminate all the delays inherent in IDE seeks/reads from CD and possible memory shortages with no swap partition available and running from ramdisk.

You need to start reading wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?action...&id=EmcKnowledgeBase
as a jumping off point.

Then do a long latency test as per the wiki.
Abuse the system, open several glxgears apps, move large files, download from the internet and move windows about with a mouse periodically.

Your quoted background figures don't appear brilliant going by the dmesg print, and the spike that triggered the error was only about 25% higher, but I am assuming that was running from CD so can't really tell.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?TroubleShooting
gives more detail on testing and common errors.

Once you have the latency test results and any other error messages that arise, should have a better idea if your computer is a candidate or paper weight.

regards

More
30 Mar 2012 10:36 #18870 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:EMC2 won't start, errors

It did much better - actually displayed the Axis GUI but with the low half of the screen hashed horizontally

Is this with the on-board video? If so and you have a pci video card handy you could install that and disable the on borad to see if that helps.
You should be able to run the latency test from the Live CD to get an idea of how the computer will work without modifications.
The latency will determine if EMC2 will work for you and and what speed. Often the results are different with 8.04 and 10.04.
As ArcEye pointed out do not expect EMC2 to run great from the LiveCD.

Rick G

More
30 Mar 2012 16:01 - 30 Mar 2012 16:03 #18878 by centaur
Hi folks - I did the install of 8.04 and got exactly the same results as running from the CD. My next move will be to try a PCI video card and also see if I can run the latency test from the CD - the things which you have kindly suggested. I am realizing that the computer requirements for just wanting to test EMC are the same as for actually operating a machine. Using another computer which will properly run the live CD (10.04) I showed my friend how EMC works using the Sherline configuration. As mentioned in an earlier post the CD did not run on his machine (HP Pavilion but newer than the one I am now wrestling) so I decided to try building him a Linux box with Ubuntu/EMC installed. This exercise started this whole discussion. I'll keep you posted.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2012 16:03 by centaur.

More
31 Mar 2012 09:59 - 31 Mar 2012 10:01 #18885 by Rick G

I am realizing that the computer requirements for just wanting to test EMC are the same as for actually operating a machine.

Well maybe not exactly.
For just testing you can install LinxCNC as a simiulator without the Real time component.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinuxCNC_Pure_Simulator

If installed this way the latency is not an issue and you can try some of the simulator configurations.

Rick G
Last edit: 31 Mar 2012 10:01 by Rick G.

More
01 Apr 2012 15:18 #18899 by centaur
Thanks Rick G. - that's exactly what I would like to get done - simulate and try various g-code programs. I am VERY green to Linux so maybe a question:
Should I begin with a fresh install of 10.04 without the EMC package and then install the simulator as described in the link you gave?
Thanx

More
01 Apr 2012 17:09 #18901 by Rick G
I would start with a fresh install.
Also remember you will need to pick a simulator configuration.

Once this is done, just run "emc". You've got to pick a "sim" configuration from the list, otherwise HAL whines about a missing library in "probe_parport: dlopen".

Rick G

More
01 Apr 2012 22:32 #18904 by centaur
Got it! One more question (maybe only one) - I noticed something called WUBI. If one were to use this to implement a dual boot situation would the resulting install of 10.04 have any hickups with the 'simulator' mode of EMC?
Thanx

More
02 Apr 2012 08:51 #18911 by Rick G
Never tried it, I normally just install a plain version of 10.04 from a Ubuntu live cd

Rick G

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds