After install I get applet removal error prompts

More
27 Nov 2012 01:27 #26960 by Peterc34
I tried using the 10.04/2.5.0 LiveCD on two different XP systems (I verified the hashcode of the CDROM I made) and I receive error prompts asking if I want to delete some applets:

OAFIID:Gnome_NotificationAreaApplet
OAFIID:Gnome_IndicatorApplet
OAFIID:Gnome_FastUserSwitchApplet
OAFIID:Gnome_Panel_TrashApplet
OAFIID:Gnome_ShowDesktopApplet
OAFIID:Gnome_WorkspaceSwitcherApplet
OAFIID:Gnome_WindowListApplet

I also tried doing an install side-by-side with Windows XP to see if I got different results. Same problem AND there's no boot choice menu - it always boots straight into XP on powerup as if no install was ever performed.

I have a Dell Optiplex 240 with an ATI video card and a Compaq Evo running Windows XP (I used the same video card pulled from the other machine).

Finally, I tried booting from the LiveCd without the ATI card installed, just to see what would happen. Same error messages plus I got a message saying Ubiquity crashed.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Peter
Grizzly G0619 (Super X3)
Probotix motors/drivers
CNCFusion ballscrew kit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2012 01:33 #26961 by ArcEye
Hi

Try the 8.04 Live CD

Looks like the Optiplex is a P4 machine, so it is probably too old for 10.04, it won't run well with it either.

regards

More
27 Nov 2012 01:38 - 27 Nov 2012 01:50 #26962 by BigJohnT
Disconnect the hard drive and try booting from the LiveCD... I've experienced once before that windows was messing something up and until I swapped with an empty hard drive I could not install Ubuntu.

What ArcEye said sounds better...

John
Last edit: 27 Nov 2012 01:50 by BigJohnT.

More
27 Nov 2012 02:10 #26963 by Peterc34
Yes, both are P4 machines. I'll try the 8.04 LiveCD and see if it works better.

Sounds like I ought to find a newer 'old' machine, so I can use 10.04 in the future.

Thanks for both replies!

Peter

More
27 Nov 2012 17:25 #26979 by ArcEye

Sounds like I ought to find a newer 'old' machine, so I can use 10.04 in the future.

There is no correlation between Ubuntu version number and Linuxcnc version number, nor between it and performance..
Very few new computers run as well with the rtai kernel for 10.04, as some P4s did with the kernel for 8.04.

If you get decent latency with the P4s, I would stick with them.
The below give a bit more depth on the issues involved
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...-the-latency-problem
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...me-latency-solutions

regards

More
28 Nov 2012 04:49 #27017 by Peterc34
Okay. Understood about not needing a newer machine. I'll stick with my Optiplex GX240 running Ubuntu 8.04 with LinuxCNC 2.5. I already returned the Compaq Evo to the used PC shop...

SOFTWARE UPGRADES: I successfully ran the 8.04/2.3 LiveCD without getting any errors. Happy boy! However, I'm not confident I can wade through what's required to upgrade to LinuxCNC 2.5 and then also disable SMI so my ATI Rage (N625) video card doesn't cause latency problems. I'm an electrical engineer with some rusty software experience, but this Linux stuff is entirely new to me. I used to be smart, but this made me rethink that! Yes, I read the page on disabling SMI, but I don't even know where to begin typing, clicking, poking or otherwise molesting the settings to accomplish this. Can I buy a vowel here?

MEMORY UPGRADE: One issue I ought to fix first is that the machine only has 256MB SDRAM at the moment. I found some memory sticks on Amazon for it but haven't bought them yet. Wise move or unnecessary (hardware specs ask for 512MB, so I assume I ought to comply)?

OTHER UPGRADES?: The hardware compatibility/latency chart only said to disable SMI for ATI Rage video cards, so other than adding more memory, is this old Dell Optiplex GX240 good to go?

Thanks in advance for the assistance. I promise not to be a helpless noob for very long...

Regards,
Peter

More
28 Nov 2012 06:55 - 28 Nov 2012 06:57 #27025 by BigJohnT
The first thing I'd do is run the latency test for an extended period of time to get a benchmark before doing anything else.

If you computer is connected up to the internet you can upgrade to 2.5.1 rather painlessly. I assume you have not made a config in 2.3 so all you need to do is update the software by changing the apt line to deb linuxcnc.org/ hardy base linuxcnc2.5

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpdatingTo2.5

John
Last edit: 28 Nov 2012 06:57 by BigJohnT.

More
28 Nov 2012 07:04 #27026 by Peterc34
John,

Sounds reasonable to upgrade to 2.5 once installed. Yes, I can connect to the internet. I was more worried about the SMI disabling process. I can't yet decipher the instruction page.

Should I wait and install the larger SDRAM before proceeding with the install_8.04/upgrade_to_2.5/disable_SMI process, in order to assure that each step has enough working memory to succeed without errors/crashes? If it's okay with just 256MB SDRAM, then I'll slog ahead this evening and see what happens.

Regards,
Peter

More
28 Nov 2012 07:13 #27027 by BigJohnT
Worst case is you have to reinstall the 8.04 LiveCD... that only takes a few minutes. I'd run the latency test, then upgrade to 2.5.1 then run it again... then decide if the SMI is a problem or not.

John

More
28 Nov 2012 09:42 #27031 by andypugh

I successfully ran the 8.04/2.3 LiveCD without getting any errors. Happy boy! However, I'm not confident I can wade through what's required to upgrade to LinuxCNC 2.5 and then also disable SMI so my ATI Rage (N625) video card doesn't cause latency problems.

If you don't see any errors, then don't bother with SMI.

Time to create page: 0.610 seconds