After install I get applet removal error prompts

More
30 Nov 2012 23:02 #27100 by ArcEye
Just to flesh out what the above is all about, now that I am home again

If not find the config file axis.ini (or axis_mm.ini) change the entry in the [DISPLAY] section DISPLAY = AXIS to DISPLAY = xemc

If you have not copied them over to /home/yourdir/emc2/configs then you can find them at /usr/share/doc/emc2/examples/sample-configs

the cursor was a black arrow and I couldn't click on anything anywhere on the screen

Sounds like openGL, you often get a black circle or square or sometimes the graphic rendering just disintegrates into a mess of coloured lines half way down the window.

xemc does not use openGL, so if it runs OK that pretty much confirms the problem

The link to switching to software openGL is here
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Troubl...oftware_based_OpenGL

regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2012 04:18 - 22 Dec 2012 05:14 #27928 by dennyz
I am attempting to install 10.04 & LinuxCNC3 on an Optiplex 620 and getting the same file removes.. The install stops with the error "The Installer encountered an unrecoverable error".

NEVER MIND! I reburned the CD at a lower write speed and the install went through without a hitch.
Last edit: 22 Dec 2012 05:14 by dennyz.

More
09 Feb 2013 23:41 #29811 by Peterc34
Okay, after a lengthy list of honey-do's for the holidays, I'm back at it! Here's what progress I've made:

After running the Latency Test for two days, I can't get anything above 15.7usec in their category, so I'm going to let that slide for now. If it proves to be a problem in the future, then I'll address it or replace the machine.

I received a config file from Probotix for running the 3-axis box I have, so I installed it (after setting permissions with "sudo chmod o=rwx sample-configs".
I tried running EMC2, but it locks up, so I changed DISPLAY=AXIS to DISPLAY=XEMC, per ArcEye's suggestion above. Now, XEMC runs but it doesn't seem to run 'completely'. Here's what's happening:

XEMC starts okay, and when I power on the 3-axis box, the three axes and their position numbers in the middle of the screen turn from green to red, indicating power, I think. So I think we're getting close to success!
However, I can't get the ESTOP button onscreen to change from "ESTOP" to anything else (such as "ESTOP OFF"?) when I click and hold on it and select STOP OFF. Also, I tried setting the mode from AUTO to MANUAL and also tried MDI, each time trying to type "G1 x3" into the MDI field to manually jog the x-axis motor I plugged in. The motor ignores me, but it's getting power because it locks in position and I can't spin it when the power is on. XEMC locks up and ignores me, although it will allow me to try clicking ESTOP, ABORT, and to access the drop-down menus. The MDI field is locked. Note: The PROGRAM buttons below, to open a file to run, is greyed out and inaccessible all the time (never active).

Ideas? I'm trying to attach a screenshot to this forum reply, but the Add File function isn't working for me (using different computer than XEMC system). I can browse and select the file, click Open, and then nothing... Tried it three times.

More
09 Feb 2013 23:53 #29814 by BigJohnT
Upload is broken until the powers that can upgrade Kunea and Joomula...

I don't understand why you had to change the permissions of sample-configs?

If you installed from a liveCD simply copy your config directory to /home/~/linuxcnc/configs and run with linuxcnc path/to/your/config.

Can you run the Axis Sim?

John

More
10 Feb 2013 02:10 #29821 by cncbasher
have you Estop button installed and wired correctly , or if not used then the hal files may need changing to
also if limit switches are shown in the hal file and not connected would also give similar problems .

it's normal for the machine to be homed first before other functions become usable .. i.e greyd out
so i am suspect at the moment of the hal files you have requiring estop and limits , which you may not have connected up
which would then not allow you to continue .

along with your graphics problem which is not helping ..

More
10 Feb 2013 05:55 #29827 by Peterc34
Thanks BigJohnT and CNCBasher for your responses.

Hmmm. Yes, nothing is connected except the 3-axis box via parallel port, all the power cables, one USB cable from the 3-axis box to the computer (which I can't recall why it's there) and one stepper to the x-axis output. My mill is still out in the garage (not yet converted with the CNCFusion kit I have). No ESTOP wiring. Actually, I don't yet even have a breakout board so that I can highjack the parallel port wiring for it.

I put the config folder in with the other ones in "/usr/share/doc/examples/sample-configs". It appeared upon starting EMC2 as one of the choices in the long tree of various configurations. Should I be aiming some pointer ina file to some other place that only has my one config folder, such as "/home/~/linuxcnc/configs" as BigJohnT mentioned?

Haven't tried the Axis sim yet. Please correct me if I'm about to do the wrong thing, but to run Axis Sim, I should: (1) set DISPLAY=AXIS instead of XEMC, then (2) when I launch EMC2 and see all the various configs, I select the one called "Sim", then (3) say "wow, this is new..." and report back about what's so new... ;) I'm not sure what I'm looking for or what do inside Sim, but if I see a crash, or it locks up, then I guess that's the answer you're looking for, else I guess I can simulate moving the axes around and see if the numbers change as if there's a machine attached.

I'll go try it now and report back in about 30 minutes. Thanks all!

More
10 Feb 2013 06:23 #29828 by Peterc34
Wow, this is new..... :huh:

I selected sim/axis.ini which launches the xemc display instead of the Axis display. Played around. It responds to simulated homing (x and y) and I see the numbers change simulating an axis slowly moving, but then complains when I try to home z because (it says) of the shared homing switch. It also won't run the simple g-code command "g1 x1" (it kinda locks up for a few seconds before returning control - the MDI field where commands can be entered looks mucked up with inverse character fonts while it's locked).

Then, I edited the axis.ini file (which had "DISPLAY=XEMC") to DISPLAY=AXIS. When I launched it again, it just locks up. The EMC2 splash screen with the penguin remains over the top of the Axis window and I can't click on anything (cursor turns to a black arrow and is stuck that way).Only manually powering down the system with the switch on the front panel gets the system's attention.

I can email you or upload the .ini and .hal files I was sent for my mill if you want to see them. Too bad the Add File command is out of order today.

More
10 Feb 2013 20:34 - 11 Feb 2013 02:09 #29858 by cncbasher
i'd suspect a bad linuxcnc install or poor pc .. is this a laptop your using ?
which verson of linuxcnc are you using ?

by all means email me your configs and i'll check them over
Last edit: 11 Feb 2013 02:09 by cncbasher.

More
10 Feb 2013 23:54 #29864 by Peterc34
Hi CNCBasher,

Some additional background details can be found in my earlier posts in this thread. Long story short: I'm running an Optiplex GX240 desktop system with a separate graphics card. Had to use Linux 8 because 10 gave install errors, as is shown above in the postings.

I'm emailing you the zipped config folder now. Hope you can catch my setup problem. One piece of added info that may prove helpful: The config files they sent me were originally used on an X3 at the place where I bought the used hardeware/ballscrews. It worked on their machine, but obviously has switches and pin assignments for THAT machine, not the 'no machine' situation the controller sees in my office at the moment (I haven't tried installing the hardware and motors on my X3 yet). I believe there are config lines designed to look for switches that don't exist anymore and that is causing the software to halt. I'm not savvy enough yet to safely edit those lines out on my own, though.

Thanks for your help!

More
11 Feb 2013 02:09 - 11 Feb 2013 02:18 #29866 by cncbasher
you should have mail with a modified hal file

it does appear if your struggling running the sim apps , that either your install is bad , or the pc is just not up to it ,
if you get a chance see if you can take a screenshot if it allows , and see if we can pin it down .

you'll need a pc with at least 2gig of memory to be safe , although it will run on 1gig , it can be a pain
if you have try'd to install with less memory than 2gig , the chances are it would have given a corrupt install

i'd sort out the pc first before embarking on linuxcnc , it could give you a false impression of being sane
Last edit: 11 Feb 2013 02:18 by cncbasher.

Time to create page: 0.255 seconds