Using G71 on Sherline Lathe

More
23 Aug 2013 23:05 #38007 by mhaberler

Michael,

Thanks, if I tried to put into practice remap your great work. but the results were not expected and not by software if not my programming level is not adequate to do something like this.

linuxcnc.org/hardy/hardy/index.php/russi...6760-new-gcode-cycle

look what I've accomplished with REMAP. has helped me a lot, to go forward in my learning, because as I say I prefer g-code cycle. NGCGUI percent still missing to integrate better with LinuxCNC, is my humble opinion,

Hi Jorge,

That's pretty good! I wasnt aware you were trying that already. I dont follow the forum all the time, so just try email if I dont respond to a thread which is likely to use what I wrote.

Why dont you tell exactly what you're trying to do (like a bit of a specification, 'G71' isnt exactly telling at least for me), and say where you got stuck with the approach I suggested?

It could very well be some functionality is missing to achieve your goal, but the solution I would prefer is to extend the support code to provide that functionality as needed, not falling back onto a C++ patch which modifies the code for everybody else too.

regards

Michael
The following user(s) said Thank You: jlviloria

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2013 23:56 #38008 by jlviloria
Michael -

I am using remap, and on my machine. but only one line. as you see in the example.

My biggest problem is I'm not programmer;)
and not as the solution approach to this case. I've been using the "for loop" but I can not see how to apply.

know how to use (self.current_x and self.current_z), but when defining the profile.

1) not as indicating start_x and end_x, same with Z.

2) to define whether it is a line, angle or radius.

3) do you think is missing some modification to the source code of LinuxCNC, to achieve the cycle?

if you see what I did, it lacks a lot work. and is not as professional as expected. but I am determined to do.

excuse my English

Jorge

More
24 Aug 2013 00:36 #38011 by jlviloria
would be good to watch what little I've done and any advice is good suggestion to go ahead

More
25 Aug 2013 08:39 #38044 by CliveFouche
I am using EMC 2.4.3. I have come across the Linux CNC upgrade but I am reluctant to install it as Sherline have installed and configured EMC for my machines and I don't know what can of worms I am going to open. Will it stuff everything up more than it already is. It seems that every time I want to do something there is something missing or it is buried so deep in the manual that it takes days and hours on forums to find it. I have had these machines for two months now and I have written one program that only just works. G73 in EMC is not the G73 I have used elsewhere. It's a peck drilling cycle in EMC and a profile cycle in FANUC and HAAS. I am going nuts and when I now find I have to start playing with things I don't understand within the software my head implodes.

More
25 Aug 2013 09:07 #38045 by jlviloria
Clive -

It's normal, you have those doubts, problems with anything new will always do so.

Look I'm no expert on any of this, and I have a motto for my work with LinuxCNC:

****If I can work with LinuxCNC, anyone can*****

See G codes on all machines are not the same, I had the opportunity to work on machines of different brands, just a bit of common sense and have total dispocision to achieve things.

Do not be afraid to update LinuxCNC, people here are very dedicated to this great project. I can tell you if you have a problem, you will have more answers than I can read, and soon work things.

I'm placing my best to achieve the cycle for lathes as LinuxCNC deserves.

regards

jorge

More
25 Aug 2013 15:09 - 25 Aug 2013 18:07 #38053 by cncbasher

I am using EMC 2.4.3. I have come across the Linux CNC upgrade but I am reluctant to install it as ShIreline have installed and configured EMC for my machines and I don't know what can of worms I am going to open. Will it stuff everything up more than it already is. It seems that every time I want to do something there is something missing or it is buried so deep in the manual that it takes days and hours on forums to find it. I have had these machines for two months now and I have written one program that only just works. G73 in EMC is not the G73 I have used elsewhere. It's a peck drilling cycle in EMC and a profile cycle in FANUC and HAAS. I am going nuts and when I now find I have to start playing with things I don't understand within the software my head implodes.

Clive,
it would be best for you to upgrade , as the version you have is years behind , and missing quite a lot , which no doubt is causing confusion too
if you save or copy your config folder then it should be resonable to be able to recover your origional settings .. . although i expect some configurations will have changed , so although not perhaps a straight install and go , it wont be far off
and we can soon get you back up and running . although i am in the UK i am willing to help if needed .

i have no doubt if you contacted shireline they probably will have an updated configuration in any case ,
sherline configs are part of the default Linuxcnc install

the main point is theirs plenty of people here that can and will help , so your not alone ..
if you wish compress your emc2/config folder and attach it here , we can check and make adjustments for you in the meantime , and then work through any problems
or your welcome to contact me via SKYPE if you wish .. , and we can make sure that all the relevant information is available first

note G73 is one of those anomalies depending on Turning or Milling ...
G73 in Milling is a Peck drill cycle , however in Turning it is a Pattern repetition or canned cycle , would probably better describe it , so yes depending on the machine i can see how confusion sets in
although it's usual because of the prefix gcodes in your start up , that if you select the either G17 or G18 etc then the correct mode should be selected or error shown
at least thats the theory .

Dave
Last edit: 25 Aug 2013 18:07 by cncbasher.

More
25 Aug 2013 15:50 #38055 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Using G71 on Sherline Lathe
Clive,

As pointed out g code varies from one machine to another, there is no "universal g code". This does not make one better than the other, just different.
The quick reference guide shows the current set.
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.4/html/gcode.html
If you can work with them you do not need to

start playing with things I don't understand within the software

Just write your programs using the available g codes.

However you are using an older version, if you are concerned about the upgrade perhaps check with Shireline first for any issues.

Rick G

More
10 Sep 2013 03:33 #38575 by CliveFouche
I have resorted to using a Windows based CAM program to generate code that works because I have run out of patience with all the tewaking that has to be done just to get a simple piece of code to work in Linux/EMC.

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds