trying to install linuxcnc 2.6

More
16 Mar 2015 00:00 #56866 by johnl2
What do you mean, try to install it right now while ubuntu is installed?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2015 00:03 #56867 by johnl2

Could it be that 2.6 is not fully developed and therefore has too many bugs and problems working on certain systems?

You are not installing Linuxcnc 2.6

You are installing Debian Wheezy with the software Linuxcnc 2.6 pre-installed

Wheezy installs fine on lots of computers, I have it on everything from Pentium P4s to an 8 core Intel-i7

But I am a bit nervous to try this again, what if it doesn't work?

It hasn't worked at all yet, so what have you got to lose, not as if you have another system on the disk you don't want to risk messing up

I know, it's just the frustration talking. . . I am going to try what you suggested when you get back to me to let me know exactly what you mean. If I have ubuntu, I suppose I do not need gparted.

Also, about the uefi, I don't know how to get it out of uefi mode. I have an asus sabertooth x79 mobo. Hopefully you can shed some light on how to turn off uefi.

Thanks again,

John

More
16 Mar 2015 00:06 #56868 by johnl2

I assumed from your comment that you had not used gparted, because you thought it was for the wrong machine.

If you have installed something else, boot the DVD and see if it offers to install on that partition you have already installed on, it should, it must be able to see it.

Wait, I just realized, if you mean try to install it while ubuntu is installed, that is what I've been doing this whole time! I've had ubuntu with linuxcnc2.3 this whole time installed before each try.

John

More
16 Mar 2015 02:05 #56874 by johnl2
Alright, so I decided to pull out my older mobo and do some testing. I used rufus to copy the usb and it installed without a hitch onto my older mobo. Still no dice on my newer computer. But when I try to open anything, it will not allow me to open it. I get a "failed to execute command" error. I have done this many many times in the past. And on this specific computer also. I've had every single flavor on this machine b/c I was obsessed with it for awhile. So I am pretty experienced with doing it. Something is wrong here, I believe it's something with the image. B/c I've never had problems like this before. Two different computers and still no joy. Too bad, it looked like a nice OS to use instead of plain ole ubuntu. But I guess it will have to do for now until they can get this thing right.

John

More
16 Mar 2015 03:05 - 16 Mar 2015 03:15 #56877 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic trying to install linuxcnc 2.6
Strange, I've had very little trouble with the Wheezy ISO image
I have installed it on various Intel and AMD motherboards from older Core2 Duos
to some passive cooled systems = J1800s,J1900s ,AMD A4-5000 to yet newer
Intel H97 based MBs and even a Dell Laptop. The Only issue I have was with older
motherboards that had issues booting from USB sticks

What specific hardware do you have?

edit:

Also if you have a working image on a hard drive (from your old system)
you might try to see if that works on the new MB
Last edit: 16 Mar 2015 03:15 by PCW.

More
16 Mar 2015 04:13 #56879 by johnl2

Strange, I've had very little trouble with the Wheezy ISO image
I have installed it on various Intel and AMD motherboards from older Core2 Duos
to some passive cooled systems = J1800s,J1900s ,AMD A4-5000 to yet newer
Intel H97 based MBs and even a Dell Laptop. The Only issue I have was with older
motherboards that had issues booting from USB sticks

What specific hardware do you have?

edit:

Also if you have a working image on a hard drive (from your old system)
you might try to see if that works on the new MB

As to your edit, I could hook it up to see if it will run, but how much would that actually tell me? I now have the last one right before this new 2.6 installed. 2.5 I believe it was. So luckily I have 3 HD's in this computer, so I'll use my 1TB spinning disk drive. The other two are solid state, a sandisk and a samsung. I'll try hooking up the HD that I actually have it on and see if it works on the newer MB. Thank you for your input.

John

More
16 Mar 2015 04:47 #56880 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic trying to install linuxcnc 2.6
BTW Do not try installing with multiple hard drives connected...

More
16 Mar 2015 04:54 #56881 by johnl2
Thank you. . . I disconnect them all b/c when I would install my different flavors, windows would screw everything up. Anyway, the drive I have is way too old, it has all older connectors. So I have to figure something else out. I've been at it with this thing for days and I'm not stopping till I get it. At least I have a newer version than what I had, but it looks almost exactly the same. The only difference is the shut down button, it's on the right now instead of on the left.

Thanks,

John

More
16 Mar 2015 10:19 #56883 by johnl2
So now it's the nvidia card. I made sure it booted in legacy mode, but now there's a problem with the nvidia. "linux login xserver-xorg: cannot access /usr/lib/nvidia/legacy-*/nvidia.ids: No such file or directory
openssh-server xfce4-panel.

I am thinking that my computer is way too high end for this. It's a gaming box.

More
16 Mar 2015 15:37 #56888 by ArcEye
Found this review

www.newegg.com/Product/SingleProductRevi...spx?reviewid=3398931

Whilst not very informative, it does indicate there is a problem trying to do an installation of any system, with more than one drive attached.
Also that any drive must be attached to the correct SATA ports

Quite honestly, this board is far too high spec for a Linuxcnc machine controller.
If you are planning to use a parport connection, with multiple cores and a nvidea graphics board, you are liable to get far worse latency figures than a MB costing $80 (such as the J1900)

Processing power does not equate to low latency

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds