trying to install linuxcnc 2.6

More
19 Mar 2015 04:59 #56994 by johnl2
Thanks. The reason being is I have no place to hide the wire. Unless I modify the house and I don't want to do that.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2015 08:13 #56997 by johnl2
Is it possible that Debian as opposed to Ubuntu could cause larger latency numbers?

More
19 Mar 2015 11:08 #56999 by johnl2
Or is there anything in the OS that I can change to reduce latency? I'm at 23954 now which is workable, but I'd love it if I could lower it. I have my new mobo setup and everything now with the J1900 from Asrock. I'm pretty happy with it as I am connected to the internet, (albeit wired), and I have Debian and everything works. Just need to get the jitter down. I am hearing now that onboard graphics cause a LOT of latency. And I cannot add a card to this as it has only one pci port and it's not even for graphics, so I cannot even add a graphics card to it if I wanted to! Wish I would have known about the video card before I purchased it.

UPDATE: I got it down to 13451 by switching from VGA to the HDMI on the back of the mobo. I have to use my good monitor, but it's okay for a huge difference like that! Does this sound right? Or is it a fluke?

Thanks,

John

More
19 Mar 2015 14:13 - 19 Mar 2015 15:34 #57002 by ArcEye
Hi

You can use homeplugs ( also called powerline plugs) no long wires and my ethernet works well 200ft from the house.
www.amazon.com/b?node=1194444

Regards latency, you need to look, the answers are all on the forum.

Search BIOS and put PCW in the user field and the first 4 or 5 hits are what to do to get low latency on the J1800/1900

I wrote 2 FAQS on what latency is and how to reduce it
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...-the-latency-problem
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...me-latency-solutions

regards
Last edit: 19 Mar 2015 15:34 by ArcEye.

More
19 Mar 2015 17:27 #57007 by andypugh

23954 is my jitter now. I knew I wouldn't be happy. But is that acceptable?

When I first started with LinuxCNC that was considered "good"

You could try isolcpus, that often gives an improvement.

More
19 Mar 2015 22:14 #57015 by johnl2
how would I implement isocpus?

John

More
19 Mar 2015 23:05 #57018 by andypugh

More
20 Mar 2015 00:33 #57020 by johnl2
lol, I was on that page. . . thank you. Also, I read those FAQ's you posted before you told me about it, well actually one of them, the other is new to me. But I'm reading it now. Thank you again for all of your help so far. Would using the HDMI instead of VGA actually have anything to do with jitter?

John

More
20 Mar 2015 01:33 #57022 by johnl2
Im still looking into the last link you gave me, a lot to take in, I wish there was a simple way to just do it. As I am hoping with my next question: I want to install Meshcam onto my linux machine. Is there a simple way to install wine and vcrun2005 or whatever I need? Any idea?

Thanks,

John

More
20 Mar 2015 01:46 #57023 by andypugh

I wish there was a simple way to just do it.

If you look at what you need to actually do it isn't much, you need to download one file, possibly edit it, then copy it to a specific location.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds