LinuxCNC on Linux Mint 19

More
12 Jan 2019 20:53 #124042 by DustMaxrr
Replied by DustMaxrr on topic LinuxCNC on Linux Mint 19
Thank you John ! I like using LinuxMint much better.
I started with LinuxMint 18.3 MATE(32) instead of (64), and exactly followed your link on your page for installing rt kernel.
Seems the kernel is there, but says installation failed, and now my boot space is 100% full (rt archive image is 407mb).
Should the installation on (32) work the same as the (64)?
Any suggestions before I start from scratch again?

Ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2019 10:09 #124067 by DustMaxrr
Sorry for my previous post. I just answered my own question.
Sometimes you look but you can't see.

Ron

More
16 Jan 2019 05:19 #124280 by spokes
Replied by spokes on topic LinuxCNC on Linux Mint 19
Ok. please hang with me as I muddle through this. I'm running linux mint 19.1 and following these instructions. Its a completely fresh install of mint, i've installed all the dependencies listed, but I'm getting the following error when trying to use the package installer "Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: linuxcnc-uspace (=1:2.8.0~pre1)" I'm a machinist by trade and a total linux noob so please help me out, I just want to make some chips on the mini mill i just built in the garage.

More
16 Jan 2019 20:41 - 16 Jan 2019 20:43 #124304 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic LinuxCNC on Linux Mint 19
Did you enable source code repositories in the Synaptic Package Manager?

Those are my instructions and I've built several Mint 19.1 drives with them so I know they work if followed exactly.

JT
Last edit: 16 Jan 2019 20:43 by BigJohnT.

More
16 Jan 2019 23:21 #124308 by spokes
So i did but it doesn't seem to work because click ok to update cache after enabling repositories and it pops up a dialog that says updating cache waiting for synaptic to exit and it just hangs there. I can't close synaptic but i can close the software sources but that closes the update cache. When i reopen everything it shows that the repositories are enabled. Is there a way to update the cache via terminal to by pass where it seems to hang?

More
16 Jan 2019 23:56 - 16 Jan 2019 23:58 #124309 by BigJohnT
sudo apt-get update

I should have put a note in there to not update the cache from Synaptic...

JT
Last edit: 16 Jan 2019 23:58 by BigJohnT.

More
17 Jan 2019 05:01 #124325 by spokes
OK. I wiped the whole mint install and started over. I realized I failed the kindergarten test and skipped the very first instruction I think because I thought thats what sudo apt-get update was taking care of. ( like i said total linux noob) rocking and rolling windows popped up that didn't before etc. i installed the dependencies, verified the installation and i got an error so went through the list again. same error, "error:cannot read debian/control no such file or directory" i tried reinstalling all the dependencies and i got the same error.

More
17 Jan 2019 12:12 - 17 Jan 2019 12:54 #124344 by BigJohnT
I have a fresh install of Linux Mint 19.1 and I'll build LinuxCNC and install it and verify the instructions.

Edit: I'm updating the instructions, I had one command out of order.

Sorry for the confusion.

JT
Last edit: 17 Jan 2019 12:54 by BigJohnT.

More
21 Jan 2019 02:03 #124502 by JohnnyCNC
Replied by JohnnyCNC on topic LinuxCNC on Linux Mint 19
I tried to do the Linux Mint 19.1 install with the RT kernel following these instructions. The Linux Mint 19.1 64 bit install was uneventful and seemed to work fine. Then I started with instructions referenced in the earlier posts in this thread. I saw some warnings go by that I had no idea what to do about them. Compiling the kernel took about 10 hours so I was able to do a little more than take a nap and have a cup of coffee LOL. I'm not going to spend time figuring out why it went wrong I'm just going to start over. The instructions looked great and I'm sure it's something I did or didn't do. I use Visual Studio and work in C# daily at my job so I am just trying do this install and build the kernel as a means to and end. Not for the fun of it, Machining is the fun part. I have a J1800 BAT-1 motherboard with a Mesa 6i25+7i76 currently running Axis and all is well. Now I want to get a touch screen and give gmocappy a try while I wait for the BrendaEM interface to come out. So I thought I would also upgrade to Mint because I would like to have a long term release installed with some years still ahead of it and I have heard that I may have better luck with a touch screen using a more recent version of Linux. That brings me to a couple of questions. I think I should be looking at the RTAI rather than the preempt since I am running a 6i25? Or can I run either? Is there any advantage of one over the other? Is there anywhere I can get a prebuilt RTAI kernel? Thanks

More
25 Jan 2019 19:18 #124847 by DustMaxrr
JT

Followed your instruction, now have mint 18.3 running 4.19.1-rt3.
Had an issue with the 8254 timer error, but "noapic" got me up and running.
Thanks for the info.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds