LinuxCNC Uspace

More
15 Nov 2019 15:04 #150429 by Gene1934
Replied by Gene1934 on topic LinuxCNC Uspace
No, the only guy, a worthless Sioux buck, alcoholic ex husband of my first wife I ever threatened to kill, had the good sense to fall over from old age about 20 years ago and 1000 miles away. When she had a stroke and died at 34, he called, one of the sisters came and asked me if he could come, I said he could come, hat in hand, mouth glued shut.

Apparently that was too much to ask, he never showed. Just as well, he would have come with a loaded mouth & left in a bag. If I hadn't done it, one of her other 10 sisters would have. She was a very good woman and I still miss her. She came with two of his kids, and joyfully gave me two girls and a boy, all of which have now passed, 2 from the big C and one tried to play mumbledi-peg with a kia outside of him and a quart of scotch inside him, so the only records of my first family are those pix hidden from the 2nd wife. Now in about 2 weeks I will have made it 30 years with my 3rd, now 80 and dying of COPD, but we were both fixed by then, so all I have left is a stepson and 3 boys the 2nd one gave me. She (2nd) came with 3, but their father had MD, inheritable, so they have also passed as age 30 approached. Now the story goes that the grim reaper has come for me twice, and blinked twice. I seem to be one a roll, and in about 2 weeks they will replace a badly worn aortic valve. That I hope will improve my giddyup since the efficiency ATM is only 30%. And I still have things to do that "keep me out of the bars". ;-) Like take care of my now 100% invalid and 75 lb wife until... Putter about the place, with the last project being the replacing of a barely able pi3 with a pi4 running my 11x54 Sheldon lathe which it is doing very well indeed.

Unlike Paul Harvey, that's nowhere near all of my story but this is TL;DR already. ;-)

Thanks folks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page <geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2019 15:32 #150431 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic LinuxCNC Uspace
Thank You for that, it just goes to show that no matter how hard your life might be ( mine was pretty terrible ), there is always worse, much, much worse.
My hat is off to you, sir.

More
15 Nov 2019 22:09 #150447 by Gene1934
What I failed to mention, was that the good times were legendary.

Purely by serendipity, I probably tested the fuel tank ullage pressure regulators that gave John Glenn his first ride. Then, less than a year later, I helped assemble a couple small tv cameras, intended to be towed thru sewers to inspect them, Intended to be a src of rental income for Oceanographic Engineering. But the plans for the first 2 got changed by a station wagon full of Navy Gold and Silver. They wound up on the Trieste just before it made its first dive into the Mariannes trench some west of the Phillipines. So my fingerprints have been down to 37,000 feet. If you are old enough, you may have seen some of the pix taken from the monitors, with either a 35mm Leica or a 16mm minox that were published in the Encyclopedias for the next few years. The Navy gave us the quartz lenses for the camera cases, and drawings of how to seat them for zero leakage when the outside pressure was close to 20,000 psi. That was educational to say the least, watching our machinist, running a 18x60 Leblond while he carved a case for a 2.5" by 12" camera, out of an 8" by 20" bronze rod. Had factory Leblond techs in with scrapers & what not until he could bore a less than a thou taper with a bar about the size of my arm. Took them about 3 weeks.
That machinist had an HSS sharpening jig I've been lookiing for one like it for nearly 60 years. Has a socket for a piece of 1/4" HSS, and 4 or 5 round holes to fit a 1/4" round shaft, drilled thru the block at odd angles. He'd wet the top of a brass disk a motor could spin, then wet his finger and pick of some diamond dust then work it into the sperm oil then drop this jig over the arbor and sweep it around for 3 secs, change to a different hole. Go put the hss back in the tool and take huge coils of bronze out till the coils weren't the right color. Wash rinse and repeat. Sharp wasn't adequate, that piece of HSS about 1.5" long, carved both cases like hot butter, half an hour at a time!

Oh, don't let anyone tell you water isn't compressible. The battery banks on the Trieste were common, buy em over the counter Sears Die-Hards. They were mounted so as to have a wire cage over the neck of each cell. The cells were filed with 1.260 sg battery acid, another cup of acid was added to a heavy weather balloon snapped onto the neck of the cell. They swung our cameras around when about 30 feet down and took a pix. At the bottom they turned on the lights, no sign of the balloons, they were all pushed into the cells. But after resurfacing again, they were all there again.

We had 2 sorta failures in that dive, one of the pan and tilt assembles must had had some trapped air in it so the rubber diaphrams we had fitted to keep the sea water and oil from mixing but the rubber was push into the gears, chewing a hole in it. But the P&T kept on working. Then back in drydock, we found just how poor that khaki colored plating on cannon plugs was, it had scratched on the hull, and sea water ate a hole clear though, letting water in by the time they'd resurfaced, but it worked fine down in the mohole. That was what counted.

There's more yet, whole chapters, but its somewhat less machine related. More physics and electronics. I've a 1st phone, and am also a journeyman Certified Electronics Technician.

Take care now all, orders from Grandpa Gene.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike_Eitel, tommylight, Clive S

More
03 Jan 2020 16:22 #153901 by ytiuqibu
Replied by ytiuqibu on topic LinuxCNC Uspace
I just reached the same point as AgentWD40 on an attempt to install preempt kernel with Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
A restart produces the following:
[ 0.960070] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
[ 0.960071] CPU: 2PID: 1 Comm: swapper/0 Not tainted 4.19.1-rt3 #1
[ 0.960071] Hardware name: Dell Inc. Optiplex 9010 AIO/0CRWCR, Bios All 02/04/2013
[ 0.960072] Call Trace:
[ 0.960077] dump_stack+0x65/0x85
[ 0.960080] panic+0xe4/0x244
[ 0.960082] mount_block_root+0x1f7/0x2de
[ 0.960084] ? set_debug_rodata+0x17/0x17
[ 0.960084] mount_root+0x7c/0x7f
[ 0.960085] prepare_namespace+0x139/0x171
[ 0.960086] kernel_init_freeable+0x28C/0x2b9
[ 0.960089] ? rest_init+9xd0/0xd0
[ 0.960090] kernel_init+0xe/0x110
[ 0.960091] ret_from_fork+0x35/0x40
[ 0.960089] Kernel Offset: 0x6800000 from 0xffffffff81000000 (relocation range: 0xffffffff80000000-0xffffffffbfffffff)

The make - build kernel step took about 4 hours.
I am uncertain if the previous step was properly saved as there was nothing to confirm the save, however
a cold boot now produces a GRUB menu to choose from

Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
Advanced Options for Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
Memory test (memtest86+)
Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)

Selecting the Advanced Options allows choosing between the following kernels

Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon, with Linux 4.19.1-rt3
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon, with Linux 4.19.1-rt3 (recovery mode)
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon, with Linux 4.15.0-72-generic
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon, with Linux 4.15.0-72-generic (recovery mode)
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon, with Linux 4.15.0-66-generic
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon, with Linux 4.15.0-66-generic (recovery mode)
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon, with Linux 4.15.0-54-generic
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon, with Linux 4.15.0-54-generic (recovery mode)
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon, with Linux 4.15.0-20-generic
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon, with Linux 4.15.0-20-generic (recovery mode)

both the 4.19 kernel options produce the
kernel panic situation although I haven't attempted editing the commands before booting or used the command line since I am not in a position to pursue those options without advice from someone with greater knowledge than me.

Is there any point in pursuing this or should I simply try to install again?

My reason for using Mint 19.1 Cinnamon is that my students are basically all MS Windows users and many of them have little computing experience.

More
03 Jan 2020 16:35 #153904 by AgentWD40
Replied by AgentWD40 on topic LinuxCNC Uspace
My solution was to just install a precompiled kernel from the debian repos and not bother trying to compile on my own again. I outlined how I managed that in this thread here:
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...pace?start=30#136832
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
03 Jan 2020 20:38 #153924 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic LinuxCNC Uspace

............ One of the hazards of having outlived all your enemies

You got rid of them using soap, i presume ? :)

Took me a while to catch on to your warped sense of humor Tommy. But surely Option A would be more fun!

More
03 Jan 2020 21:37 #153928 by Gene1934
Nope, distance and natural causes, no "help" from me unless he was getting in my face.
Our last conversation on the phone at about 3AM was VERY explicit, Never bothered me again. My first wife's first husband, thought he still owned her 12 years later. She was a good woman, but had a stroke and died at 34 back in '68. I had her for 11 years, 3 children and 2 she came to me with, and I still miss that woman.

Warped? Just common sense.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

More
04 Jan 2020 05:09 #153964 by ytiuqibu
Thanks very much!
With a little persuasion I got the 4.9 kernel booting but had a few errors along the way principally due to the fact that the cache will not update while the debian repo is enabled -
GPG error: security.debian.org stretch/updates InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 9D6D8F6BC857C906 NO_PUBKEY AA8E81B4331F7F50The repository ' security.debian.org stretch/updates InRelease' is not signed.
Are these keys related in any way to those included in your instructions?

More
04 Jan 2020 11:22 #153983 by ytiuqibu
Thanks to All!
LinuxCNC 2.7.15 now seems to be running happily on Mint 19.1 Cinnamon on 1 of 6 computers - now to reinstall the other training software hopefully without any conflicts.

More
13 Jul 2021 01:18 #214469 by yi2580
Replied by yi2580 on topic LinuxCNC Uspace
Hello, has your problem been solved? I also encountered the same problem. How did you solve it

Thank you.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds