stretch install no hostmot2 in synaptic

More
18 Jun 2019 17:23 #137214 by jgnoss
OK, so we have to change the wiki, telling the user to download the firmware files from mesa web site and copy to the right location on the linuxcnc computer.

I'm not that aware of, how to change the wiki works right now, lot's of moons have past since I did that last time.
But I'll have a look at that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2019 23:10 - 18 Jun 2019 23:40 #137247 by BigJohnT
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?BasicSteps

I'm trying to find out from Peter what is needed for hostmot2 to find the firmware for the 5i20/23 cards.

JT
Last edit: 18 Jun 2019 23:40 by BigJohnT.

More
18 Jun 2019 23:53 #137252 by jgnoss
John a question completely OT

Not so long ago on the dev forum you posted a link to a work done implementing a plasma cutter GUI using QTVCP

Do you mind giving me that link here again, I like to have a closer look at that.

More
18 Jun 2019 23:59 - 19 Jun 2019 00:13 #137253 by PCW
The firmware used to be installed in the /lib/firmware/hm2/cardname/

I suspect it could be added somewhat automatically if the right repository stanza was present (the firmware is independent of OS/version etc)

Which repository has the firmware?

JT
Last edit: 19 Jun 2019 00:13 by BigJohnT.

More
19 Jun 2019 00:12 #137254 by BigJohnT

John a question completely OT

Not so long ago on the dev forum you posted a link to a work done implementing a plasma cutter GUI using QTVCP

Do you mind giving me that link here again, I like to have a closer look at that.

I do think your mistaken about the GUI, you might be thinking about my QtPyVCP plasma gui... github.com/jethornton/plasma_v2

JT

More
20 Jun 2019 13:23 #137378 by andypugh
I think that the issue here is that LinuxCNC used to build its own version of the Hostmot2 firmware:
github.com/LinuxCNC/hostmot2-firmware
But then Mesa moved on to newer FPGAs using a different Xilinx ISE and the LinuxCNC build system couldn't build the newer firmwares.

This is certainly something that we need to consider when making the next LinuxCNC LiveCD (2.8 release)

It might not matter that the LinuxCNC packager can't build the new firmwares, as the new cards don't need to load the firmware on every boot. Only the legacy cards (5i20, 5i23, 7i43 etc) need the firmware to be resident in /lib/firmware to be able to boot.

More
20 Jun 2019 14:07 #137381 by BigJohnT
Is it as simple a just placing the firmware for the legacy cards in lib/firmware?

JT

More
20 Jun 2019 14:08 #137383 by andypugh

Is it as simple a just placing the firmware for the legacy cards in lib/firmware?

I am not sure. I have a feeling that everything in a live-build needs to be a package.

More
20 Jun 2019 14:24 #137384 by jgnoss
On my new install it was as simple as that.

I don't know how it is, if someone makes a fresh install and then try to configure the system from scratch using pncconf.

The time I switched from 2.really_old to 2.8_pre I did that on a fresh installed wheezy machine. I started to convert my .ini and .hal by hand but give up on that and tried to use pncconf to get a clean base config to start on. Trying that I have had the firmware problem too, but it was as simple as apt install hostmot2 to solve the problem.

I don't know how hard it is to create a let's say "hostmot2_lagecy" package that does just install that legacy firmware on the system.

More
20 Jun 2019 14:59 #137389 by andypugh

I don't know how hard it is to create a let's say "hostmot2_lagecy" package that does just install that legacy firmware on the system.

Well, the package manager needs to have a link to the server, and the server needs to exist to serve the package.
So it requires both synaptic to be aware of the server, and someone to host and pay for the server, keeping it updated for each new debian (and other distro?) version.

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds