Qucik and easy kernel & linuxcnc install on Linux Mint 19.x

More
16 Mar 2020 15:05 #160429 by bevins

I know with the RTAI kernel is a bit slow to get to the login screen, but that is an actual kernel thing, but all you have to do is wiggle the mouse.
Out of interest what is the spec of the machine ? CPU, memory and others.
If you want to post to forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...t-19-2-with-linuxcnc
It may help others and once we get a solution and I'll add it to the first post.
Have you a link to any of the threads. I've never had an issue pop up, the only time I've felt it has been slow is really due to speeds of various usb sticks.
I have a multiboot USB stick that I made myself and it boots all versions fine and that's with using grub to loop mount the iso.

Sounds like a rotten day mate.

slow boots links here

It is an I5 running 2,66 ghz intel, and 4 gig ram. A note, 18.3 doesnt have this issue. This machine has a 500gig regulat HDD. I have tried with SSD also and same thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2020 16:07 #160437 by BeagleBrainz
Hmmm my T530 has an Dual core i5 12gb ram and a 500gb SSD and boot times are good.
Would you mind running dmesg and redirecting the output to a file and attaching the file ?
I’ll have a look and see if the the delay pops out.
Even the old iMac boots in a reasonable amount of time with a HDD and 2.16GHz core 2 duo.
I saw some mention of the Radeon gpus being an issue but the desktop has a Radeon.
I’d like to sort this out for you mate.
If you’d like an 18.3 image let us know, attach a kernel config that works and kernel version and I can throw an image together for you. Doesn’t take that long once I have the kernel and linuxcnc packages. Oh yeah and the linuxcnc version, whether from the build bot or regular repo or something else. Any extra packages and the like......anyone else reading this, this is only a special offer. And no Ubuntu respin is completely out of the question.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bevins

More
16 Mar 2020 16:59 #160444 by tommylight
In terminal:
systemd-analyze
and
systemd-analyze blame
check the timestamps
The following user(s) said Thank You: bevins

More
16 Mar 2020 17:04 #160446 by bevins
ok I reverted to 18.3. All three boxes are running it now. Linuxmint 18.3 and linuxcnc 2.9.

I see if I can find another HDD and install with your dist, and do some research. I'll let you know.

More
16 Mar 2020 17:06 #160447 by bevins
I actually did one full install and created a clonezilla usb key and cloned it. then restored clone on other boxs and fixed login's hopstname etc....

More
16 Mar 2020 20:08 #160468 by BeagleBrainz

Time to create page: 0.267 seconds