How build Linuxcnc with xenomai3?

More
09 Oct 2022 20:05 #253823 by Bari
Franco,

Which hardware did you test RTAI with and what results did you see. Please post any latency test results with CPU used.

Much thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2022 22:52 #253830 by fsabbatini
Hi Bari,
Hardware is core i5 4gen single board computer,
The issue was not latency but the pc was always running hot , really hot and also with Ethercat master, lots of missed frames and unmatched datagrams.
Changed to xenomai and issues solved, now pc is running cold with 1ms cycle

Regards,
Franco

More
03 Feb 2023 06:04 #263577 by troy
Hi Franco,
Recently I'm  going to use a nuc(intel celeron J4125 + intel i210/i211) to build an lcnc controller with EtherCAT, but  Supported Ethernet Hardware list  on etherlab website does not include intel i210,I was wondering which driver you use to support intel i210,thanks a lot!

link: www.etherlab.org/en/ethercat/hardware.php

Best egards
 troy

More
03 Feb 2023 06:20 #263578 by rodw
I would probably give your NUC a go. I think that network support has been enhanced since that was written.
Follow the sticky in the ethercat section here

More
03 Feb 2023 08:50 #263584 by troy

I would probably give your NUC a go. I think that network support has been enhanced since that was written.
Follow the sticky in the ethercat section here

Hi rod,
you mean your post "Ethercat installation from repositories - how to step by step" in Ethercat section? ok, I will try it.

Actully, I've already build a ethercat lcnc controllor, solution:
ARM Cortex-A53 + RealTek 8169 + xenomai3.0 + etherlab ethercat master + lcec(linuxcnc-ethercat);
It works well, but the hardware is customized, I'm look for a more general hardware platform such as NUC which has a Higher single-core computing frequency.

and I also want to know the real-time performance about preempt-rt nowaday. 
I read some articles comparing the performance of RTAI XENOMAI PREEMPT-RT there years ago, in that time, most of the conclusions say that xenomai performance is the best of three, I dont know if the latency will become worse when I use preempt-rt  instead of xenomai.

Regards
troy

More
03 Feb 2023 11:47 #263593 by fsabbatini
Hi! I210 is supported on igb driver my friend

Regards
Franco
The following user(s) said Thank You: troy

More
03 Feb 2023 14:23 #263600 by troy

Regards
Franco

oh god yes, I found it on intel website !  thanks!

More
06 Feb 2023 03:40 #263790 by troy

Regards
Franco

Hi Franco,
I have another question: I notice that you realize a real-time linuxcnc controller which has a ethercat master, and the controller seems to be  implemented with hardware (core i5 + intel i210  pc) and software (xenomai3.0 + igb driver + linuxcnc), have you test the latency performance of EtherCAT master?     In the process of implementation, do you need  extra development besides using these existing resources?

Thanks!

Regards
troy

Time to create page: 0.490 seconds