Mesa 7i96S

More
11 May 2023 08:32 #271148 by Vector
Replied by Vector on topic Mesa 7i96S
I realized I should probably upload the whole .hal file, so it's attached.

And btw, the servo motors are running -- I can jog the axes just fine -- so it's not like we don't have communications.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2023 09:11 #271152 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Mesa 7i96S
Sounds like you need to  use
net home-x     <=  [HMOT](CARD0).inm.00.input-00-not

Re error finishing read. The 5.10 kernel will not help.
You need to roll forward to the 6.3 kernel.
I've made it easy for you. Just follow my Debian Bookworm how to
docs.google.com/document/d/1jeV_4VKzVmOI...diY/edit?usp=sharing
I am hoping some of this info will get to the Linuxcnc docs before Bookworm releases on 10 June
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vector

More
11 May 2023 13:43 #271162 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Mesa 7i96S
Also, is the input common (TB3 pin 12) grounded?

More
11 May 2023 21:56 - 11 May 2023 22:00 #271181 by Vector
aaaannnd... Head Smack Complete! (the crowd goes wild)

Yes, Common Ground Pin 12.

Makes everything better. (deep sigh of combined 'contentment with problem solved' and 'frustration that I now remember I should've known this')

Thank you.
Last edit: 11 May 2023 22:00 by Vector.

More
11 May 2023 23:29 #271187 by Vector
Rodw:
this is Awesomely awe-inspiring. I've been reading the work you guys are doing over at that sticky-post. I keep reading it but it's yards long and I'm not consistent, so I don't remember seeing this exact procedure of yours.

But it looks like the bee's knees. Wow.

I'll be attacking it asap.

Down in those instructions, it mentions the RealTek drivers... I have a model that says "RTL8111/8168/8411" ... does that mean I should employ the section you have with the RTL8111B, C, D, etc.?

Is there some way I can help with your hope on updating the docs? I'm good at documentation, tho' obviously not as good as I'd like at absorbing the docs. I tell myself this is a deep pond and I'll get the knack of it someday.

If it's grunt-work you need and it's appropriate, let me know if I can help with that doc update you're hoping for.

More
11 May 2023 23:58 #271189 by rodw

Rodw:

Is there some way I can help with your hope on updating the docs? I'm good at documentation, tho' obviously not as good as I'd like at absorbing the docs. I tell myself this is a deep pond and I'll get the knack of it someday.

If it's grunt-work you need and it's appropriate, let me know if I can help with that doc update you're hoping for.

Yesterday, I sent a draft pull request to linuxcnc
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/pull/2484

If you could review my copy it would be great!
github.com/rodw-au/linuxcnc/blob/rodw-ge...etting-linuxcnc.adoc

I am hopeless with asciidoc stuff.

If you really got carried away, you could clone my repo and change to the rodw-getting-linuxcnc branch and send me pull requests, 
but just checking content for typos etc would be useful. You may be able to edit the file directly in github which might create a pull request... I am a bit of a novice with git.

More
12 May 2023 00:01 #271190 by rodw

Down in those instructions, it mentions the RealTek drivers... I have a model that says "RTL8111/8168/8411" ... does that mean I should employ the section you have with the RTL8111B, C, D, etc.?

Yes, try installing the r8168-dkms driver and you should see an improvement. If its not enough, install my 6.3 kernel and headers.

More
12 May 2023 07:58 #271208 by Vector
Wow! Great.

I also want to come up to speed on GitHub.

Starting small, I've forked your rodw-au/linuxcnc:master.

I guess that makes me your minion ;-)

I'm on the US West coast, but time-shifted for my own timezone: usually get up around noon and work until 10pm, then start tinkering with what energy I have left. Sometimes work is intense so I can't tinker at all.

So if you don't hear from me, it's not flaking out, just not having time.

Is there another thread where I should chat about this subject, or does the dining-philosophers of checking out and committing and requesting pulls work well enough?

Cheers, and thanks for letting me help

(though on that note, before I suggest anything, these docs look pretty good!)

Just to be clear, you are wanting to take the document at your google drive:
docs.google.com/document/d/1jeV_4VKzVmOI...diY/edit?usp=sharing

and merge it into the mainline of the getting-linuxcnc.adoc page?

Have the higher-ups considered having multiple pages for each major install instruction-set, now that so many builds are becoming documented? Ie, instead of having a tag down for "building on Buster" and another for "building on Bookworm," and Raspi, etc, have them branch to separate html documents? (There's arguments both ways, and I'm not wanting to rock the boat.)

And since I'm eating words on this page, is there a more appropriate forum where I should ask these questions?

Thanks.

More
12 May 2023 09:34 - 12 May 2023 09:36 #271218 by rodw
Great. I'll take the night shift! (GMT +10 in Australia ).
I have already tackled the first draft, so start by checking it.
Next step is to checkout my branch.
git checkout rodw-au-getting-linuxcnc
then this file is the one to edit
/docs/src/getting-started/getting-linuxcnc.adoc

I cut and pasted the whole text into this asciidoc editor
www.tutorialspoint.com/online_asciidoc_editor.php

You should be able to git commit your changes
then you can git push your changes to your repo on git hub. You need to make a git personal access token

Then from your online git you can create a push request to me.

But with text files you can work directly on your online git. get the raw content, copy it to that editor and paste it back when you have edited it. Then commit your changes and push to me.

We might just work by email for a while. You can initially contact me here. www.vmn.com.au/contact

If anyone else wants to join us they can use git
Last edit: 12 May 2023 09:36 by rodw.

More
12 May 2023 11:56 #271224 by chris@cnc
Replied by chris@cnc on topic Mesa 7i96S

Yes, try installing the r8168-dkms driver and you should see an improvement. If its not enough, install my 6.3 kernel and headers.

I found the non-free firmware drivers shifted from non-free to non-free-firmware section in bookworm.  After setup in /etc/apt/sources.list you  could install "sudo apt install firmware-realtek" realtek firmware drivers. I am unsure what is the better option, dkms or non-free-firmware. Give it try...

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds