Mesa 7i96S

More
14 Sep 2022 21:47 #251939 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Mesa 7i96S
Go to realtek's site and build the driver from their source. You may need to blacklist your existing driver to load it.
www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/categor...pci-express-software

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2022 23:13 #251950 by JT
Replied by JT on topic Mesa 7i96S
I'm not using the PCIe Realtek for the 7i96S, I'm using the one on the motherboard.

JT

More
15 Sep 2022 00:06 #251957 by rodw

I'm not using the PCIe Realtek for the 7i96S, I'm using the one on the motherboard.

JT

I thought you said you were using the 8125 for the mesa card.  I assumed it was on the motherboard.  It should still work. The Odroid had an embedded NIC and it worked on it. Actually hardkernel (the odroid guys) said to use that driver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JT

More
15 Sep 2022 02:49 #251968 by jay.perez1
Replied by jay.perez1 on topic Mesa 7i96S

I've put together the steps to install Debian 9 - 13 (yes Sid has a number now).
Fix all the annoying things in Debian.
Install LinuxCNC.
Configure Debian for Mesa Ethernet cards.
And a few other things.

gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/index.html

The only thing I've not figured out how to do is to build the documents on Debian 11.

JT

Hi JT,

I'm installing Debian 11 and LinuxCNC using your most wonderful instructions but have bumped into a couple of error messages and some issues I don't understand.

On a semi-related side note here's an interesting one, I've attempted to install Debian 10 and 11 on several desktop PCs. In 10 the install hangs up right after it completes "Configuring DHCPv6". It says "Configuring Network" and hangs up forever requiring I do a hard shutdown.

On 11 It correctly recognizes my network cards but upon reboot after finishing the install the graphics locks up requiring a hard shutdown. Does this with multiple USB drives using both the Graphical and non-Graphical install options.

HOWEVER ... using the same Debian 11 USB drive I started it up in "Live" mode which had no obvious issues.

And THEN ...  I successfully installed Debian 11 using the "Install Debian" icon on the Desktop.

Sometime I wonder if youse guys are just messing with me.  :-)

But that's not what this post is about.

The first error I run into is trying to download the non-free version of 11.4 from the link provided with the following error.Download the Debian 11.4 unofficial non-free from here
  • Not Found
  • The requested URL was not found on this server.
  • Apache/2.4.54 (Unix) Server at cdimage.debian.org Port 443

I was able to get past this as I had previously downloaded the ISO a few days ago and made a bootable USB image on my Windoz machine.

The next issue I came across was no doubt due to my ignorance. Your instructions said not to create a Root password or you wouldn't be able to use sudo commands. When I got to the point in the install where you enter your Full Name, User Name, and Password. I created what I thought would be my user password. However, upon completing the install I wasn't able to use sudo.

I reinstalled from scratch and this time didn't make a password. I'm now able to use sudo but my account does not have a password.

followed (almost) all of the Tweaks. (Didn't mess with fonts or colors, the Desktop or Monitor, or the Compose Key stuff. Rebooted the system after installing Mozo as instructed.  The Tweaks seemed to go fairly smoothly and at this point I appear to have a working Debian 11.

Ran into problems trying to install the Debian 11 Tweaks. During this I received a number of error messages which I tried to muddle through.

I copied most of them from the Terminal window and pasted them into a file as shown below.
  • nc@cnc-debian11:~/build$ dpkg-checkbuilddeps
  • dpkg-checkbuilddeps: error: Unmet build dependencies: dh-python libudev-dev bwidget (>= 1.7) intltool libboost-python-dev libgl1-mesa-dev | libgl1-mesa-swx11-dev texlive-lang-european
  • cnc@cnc-debian11:~/build$ debuild -uc -us
  •  dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -ui
  • dpkg-buildpackage: info: source package linuxcnc
  • dpkg-buildpackage: info: source version 1:2.9.0~pre0
  • dpkg-buildpackage: info: source distribution UNRELEASED
  • dpkg-buildpackage: info: source changed by Sebastian Kuzminsky <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
  •  dpkg-source --before-build .
  • dpkg-buildpackage: info: host architecture amd64
  • dpkg-checkbuilddeps: error: Unmet build dependencies:    dh-python    libudev-dev bwidget (>= 1.7) intltool    libboost-python-dev    libgl1-mesa-dev    |   libgl1-mesa-swx11-dev    texlive-lang-european
  • dpkg-buildpackage: warning: build dependencies/conflicts unsatisfied; aborting
  • dpkg-buildpackage: warning: (Use -d flag to override.)
  • debuild: fatal error at line 1182:
  • dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -ui failed
  • cnc@cnc-debian11:~/build$
  •  
  •  
  • dh_installdocs: error: Cannot find (any matches for) "usr/share/doc/linuxcnc/LinuxCNC_Developer_es.pdf" (tried in ., debian/tmp)
  •  
  •     install -d debian/linuxcnc-doc-es/usr/share/doc/linuxcnc-doc-es
  • make[1]: *** [debian/rules:112: override_dh_installdocs-indep] Error 25
  • make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/cnc/build'
  • make: *** [debian/rules:38: binary] Error 2
  • dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary subprocess returned exit status 2
  • debuild: fatal error at line 1182:
  • dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -ui failed

I tried to resolve the dependencies issues by installing each of the ones underlined below using the Synaptic Package Manager.  This actually seemed to work. I didn't notice the Pipe character until just now so don't recall how I handled the commands in Blue but whatever I did it resolved all the dependencies.

dpkg-checkbuilddeps: error: Unmet build dependencies:    dh-python    libudev-dev bwidget (>= 1.7) intltool    libboost-python-dev    libgl1-mesa-dev    |   libgl1-mesa-swx11-dev    texlive-lang-european

I was then ready to install LinuxCNC-uspace using Gebi but was not able to locate the files on my hard drive and that's as far as I got.
  • Left click on linuxcnc-uspace_2.9.0~pre0_amd64.deb and open with Gdebi and install.
  • Left click on linuxcnc-uspace_dev_2.9.0~pre0_amd64.deb and open with Gdebi and install.
  • Left click on linuxcnc-doc_en_2.9.0~pre0_amd64.deb and open with Gdebi and install.

My lack of understanding of Linux makes it difficult for me to determine if these are bugs in the software or scripts or just mistakes that I'm making.

Hopefully there's some amount of accuracy in what I reported.

Thanks again for all you do.

Jay

More
15 Sep 2022 03:27 #251970 by rodw
The nonfree iso change fairly regularly so its not a good idea to make URL link to a specific ISO (11.4 has now gone and 11.5 is in.)
So go up the tree to:
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/no...-including-firmware/
and follow your nose.

To get Bookworm which would be my recommendation, you can go into the weekly builds and work with the iso-cd folder
Currently cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/no...builds/amd64/iso-cd/

Then its just a matter of:
sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo apt install linuxcnc-uspace
sudo apt install linuxcnc-uspace-dev

I think mesaflash should now be there so if you need it 
sudo apt install mesaflash

If you do create a root password, you can add yourself to the sudoers group but you'll ned to be root first.
You shold be able to type su to log in using the root users password  or log out and relogin as root. Then you can type:
usermod -aG sudo my-user-name
The following user(s) said Thank You: jay.perez1

More
15 Sep 2022 10:16 #251982 by JT

JT
I thought you said you were using the 8125 for the mesa card.  I assumed it was on the motherboard.  It should still work. The Odroid had an embedded NIC and it worked on it. Actually hardkernel (the odroid guys) said to use that driver.

I installed the driver and now the PCIe NIC stopped working!

JT

More
15 Sep 2022 10:23 #251983 by rodw
Oops sorry about that. Worth a try.
This error finishing read is bloody annoying because its only happening with the new distros.
I'd like to find a USFF PC that uses an intel or some other NIC.

More
15 Sep 2022 19:25 #252031 by JT
The PCIe NIC still works in another PC so it's not broken just my Dev PC, I guess I'll have to start from scratch and reinstall Debian...

You can run a 7i96S on 2.8 and there are no errors, I've been running since yesterday on Debian 10 without any errors so something is broken somewhere but not hardware.

JT

More
16 Sep 2022 20:14 #252113 by JT
Back on topic I updated my Debian 11 install page to point to the top most directory and included an easier way to burn the iso from Linux.

gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/debian-11.html

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, jay.perez1

More
18 Sep 2022 00:42 #252215 by jay.perez1
Replied by jay.perez1 on topic Mesa 7i96S
Thanks rodw,

Just bounced back to life after being down with Covid the last five days. I think the antiviral medicine my doctor prescribed might have helped shorten the time of the major symptoms.

I try to stick as close to 'stable' versions of things as I can as I don't understand if all of the different flavors of things will work together.

My goal is to have a very stable install of LinuxCNC that is safe to run a large CNC Router on. As such I prefer not to get to far ahead of the official releases.

Do you guys have a recommendation for a stable install if using a Mesa 7i92m card ?

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds