Properly Installing Linuxcnc as a Bootable USB

More
15 Nov 2022 17:26 #256786 by Aldenflorio
Okay, so I finally got a hold of a laptop and I have the computer as well. So like I said, I want to download the bootable linuxcnc program and all onto a usb. Though last time i did this someone did it for me and there seemed to be a lot of issues with the installation process that screwed me over in time.

can I plug the usb into the laptop, then download and install all I need onto the usb to make it bootable? Or do I need another desktop computer?

If I’m doing this, then I need to actually install the Linux operating system to the usb first and I can do as you said earlier with just cloning that GitHub you showed me. I don’t mind it being live but I want to, like I did before, dedicate some memory on the usb to keep storing data. 

i think last time I had it through Debian. I know I’m rambling and out of order, I’m just not sure how to make the instilling process perfect and I want it to be

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2022 01:00 #256822 by andypugh
What is the OS currently on the laptop?

Instructions for writing the ISO file to USB are here:

linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/getting-st...to_a_bootable_device

Though I think that it fails to mention the preferred tool to write the ISO to USB in WIndows, which I think is an application called "Rufus"
rufus.ie/en/

More
16 Nov 2022 13:25 #256857 by Aldenflorio
Windows 11 I believe. Okay, thank you I’ll read through that. I’ve heard of that application before as well and I think that’s what I used before so that sounds good!

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds