The case for Debian Bookworm and the 6.1 kernel (including installation notes)

More
02 May 2023 22:55 #270519 by JPL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2023 23:06 #270521 by rodw
My build notes have been gorwing with feedback from a few brave souls. :)
I've tried to ensure any ambiguity is removed
But the core instructions are still only 19 points

Currently (since 1 May 2023), we link to my second build of the 6.3 kernel following a so called final kernel release
All feedback is that its amazing, particularly if a realtek NIC is involved that is covered with the R8168-dkms driver.eg:
265% improvement of latency
400% improvement of network latency.

These results are not just me, others have experienced the same improvement
The kernel folder also includes the instructions to roll your own

More
02 May 2023 23:28 #270524 by rodw

...And why isn't this a sticky?

Thats a matter for the mods.
But the mods have written a number of the stickies 

Personally, I don't think its helpful to include a number of the current stickies if this thread is stickied (with an updated title perhaps). We have been supported by Debian by our inclusion in their repos, there is a straightforward way to install linuxcnc on Debian 12 (bookworm) and on. Why go anywhere else?

Also, some of my content could be migrated to the 2.9 docs. Maybe its called Intallation of linuxcnc from Debian repositories under installing Linuxcnc

I don't think these should be stickies. Perhaps, a single thread Maybe called "Other installation methods" with links to these stickies could be included and locked:

This only does half the job and does not cover the latency and network latency issues covered in my Drive document
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...uxcnc-on-debian-9-13

Why have a sticky telling people to just install the Linuxcnc ISO?
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...uster-preempt-rt-iso

Why are we giving instructions to install on something that is not Debian?
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...red-toward-new-users

Why are we giving instructions to install on a platform that does not have the PREEMPT_RT kernel?
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...-intsalling-linuxcnc
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, my1987toyota

More
03 May 2023 09:37 #270547 by tommylight
Oh good, we have something tangable.
Thank you Rod.
So 4 topics Rod mentioned and this one, what do we remove and what do we leave as sticky?
Mine about Ubuntu 23.04 im am not removing, but i am changing the title to Simulator only, some users ask for sim version and this is very simple. Also Debian installs RT kernel that sim does not need, and there are much more users on the Ubuntu side.
The one about the ISO, had to leave it there when it got out as manu users would try installing all kinds of versions and stuff with python was getting out of hand. I was waiting for the new ISO.
Do we remove this from sticky?
Sound off bellow.
The MX one was very good for Plasma users due to above mentioned python stuff.
JT has always good tutorials, short and to the point.
And that brings me to this one, i can not make it sticky, to long, requires downloading stuff from non official repositories, etc
So, make a new topic, short and concise howto for Debian Bookworm containing only install instructions, not issues with network cards, nothing about kernels and patching and compiling. Make a note IF, only IF users have issues to use this tutorial and add link.
That i will gladly sticky.
-
Rod is the first one on the forum that stepped into the BookWorm pool and some other stuff, so he deserves to have his name in the Debian BookWorm tutorial stickied at the top, that is why i never did one, no matter how simple it is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
03 May 2023 12:04 #270559 by rodw
Thanks Tommy,
My doc started out as a short sharp how to. It was too dynamic and changing too much to use the crappy forum editor.
Its pretty solid now and tested by quite a few users
I added a lot of stuff to capture what I need for my machines
The install of linuxcnc on Bookworm is the easy bit
But e​ven when it's released in June and even if we have 2.9 released, by then,
the kernel and the Realtek drivers will still bite many people.
The kernel was not fixed until to V6.3 (according to PCW) and Bookworm's will be 6.1
The Linuxcnc Debian ISO can include our own kernel. when 2.9 is released 
​​​​​I have booked an issue with the Linux RT project team and have had some feedback
Hopefully the issues might be resolved in time.

I think a better place would be as a chapter on the official docs. There is no reason why that can't be in 2.9 now.

​​​​​

More
03 May 2023 19:41 - 03 May 2023 20:28 #270585 by rodw
Tommy Ubuntu users could use the xanmod RT kernel
​​
xanmod.org/

They have a prebuilt Deb for Kernel 6.1 PREEMPT_RT

I might try it
Last edit: 03 May 2023 20:28 by rodw.

More
07 May 2023 14:08 #270860 by seb_kuzminsky

Also, some of my content could be migrated to the 2.9 docs. Maybe its called Intallation of linuxcnc from Debian repositories under installing Linuxcnc

This is good stuff Rod, thanks for helping our users in this way.  I agree, for new installs we should be directing people towards Bookworm and Preempt-RT.

I'd love to see a PR to update the Getting LinuxCNC document with this new info.  It's still full of old 2.8/Buster info...

It would also be good to update the Live/Install image based on the Bookworm installer, but that's probably a different task than this documentation one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw

More
10 May 2023 21:08 #271130 by rodw

This is good stuff Rod, thanks for helping our users in this way.  I agree, for new installs we should be directing people towards Bookworm and Preempt-RT.

I'd love to see a PR to update the Getting LinuxCNC document with this new info.  It's still full of old 2.8/Buster info...

Seb, I made a start on this in a new branch on my git
github.com/rodw-au/linuxcnc/blob/rodw-ge...etting-linuxcnc.adoc
Still a long way to go and I don't understand asciidoc at all.
Some things are formatted  correctly in the editor at www.tutorialspoint.com/online_asciidoc_editor.php but poorly on Github.

Do we need the section on Zsync? Surely nobody uses it in this unlimited bandwidth age.
Will the buildbot make RTAI images for Bookworm? If not I'd like to remove RTAI and precise sections and instead refer users to the 2.8 documentation.

The Raspberry Pi instructions need testing.  I don't have one available anymore.

Any suggestions and proposed changes are welcome!
​​​​

More
10 May 2023 21:23 #271133 by rodw
Are the failing results here normal?
github.com/rodw-au/linuxcnc/actions/runs/4940799015
I'm assuming it's because we don't have a Bookworm buildbot

More
15 May 2023 10:23 #271391 by rodw

...And why isn't this a sticky?

The release of b hookworm is less than one month away on June 10, 2023
I have sent a pull request to Linuxcnc to update the Getting LinuxCNC  document for inclusion in the 2.9 docs
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/pull/2496
It's hard to read there, so it's probably better to read it on my fork of Linuxcnc.
github.com/rodw-au/linuxcnc/blob/rodw-ge...etting-linuxcnc.adoc
But even better if you copy the raw file and past it into an online asciidoc editor. I used this one.
www.tutorialspoint.com/online_asciidoc_editor.php
past the text in and press execute.

Many thanks to Vector for helping out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JPL

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds