Multiple Network connections (eg fo Internet and Mesa/Ethercat)

More
14 Aug 2023 12:07 #277950 by cornholio
That is crazy.

The CPU alone is worth than 3 times the car I drive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2023 13:23 #277952 by tommylight
Agrhhhhh the horror ! A ThreadRipper running windoze! Oh nooooooo :)

More
14 Aug 2023 23:23 #278012 by rodw
Well back on topic. It appears this has been solved for ethercat by removing the settings in /etc/network/interfaces and disabling the network that is connected to the ethercat slaves. As soon as the intercace is enabled, we loose internet connection. Ethercat is mapped at the MAC address level so it must bypass the Linux networking stack. I guess this make sense given that Ethercat uses its own protocol to maximise performance.

I'll worry about setting it up for a Mesa card another day (when I'm ready to play with one).

There still should be a way to force Linux to go out on a specific NIC so if there are ideas, let me know.

More
15 Aug 2023 00:00 - 15 Aug 2023 00:01 #278013 by tommylight

It is that easy.
EDIT
Ignore the DNS part, it is not used when set as in pictures despite being written there.
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Aug 2023 00:01 by tommylight. Reason: more info

More
15 Aug 2023 01:31 #278017 by rodw

It is that easy.

Yeh, never had an issue with mesa cards (or ethercat for that matter). IN fact you can set up ethercat and swap to a mesa card on the same NIC without any dramas.

More
15 Aug 2023 10:22 #278036 by tommylight
Linux is very good at networking, must have something to do with all the worlds servers running on it! :)

More
15 Aug 2023 10:51 #278041 by rodw
nobody yet has helped with the original problem which is specifying  which NIC should be used for the default network/internet connection....

More
15 Aug 2023 11:31 #278042 by tommylight
I did.
The screenshots are exactly that, set the Mesa and Ethercat connections as above, leave the Internet connection as is, do not set anything for it, it will still work properly and the traffic to Mesa and Ethercat will only be sent to Mesa and Ethercat.

More
16 Aug 2023 00:05 #278100 by tommylight

nobody yet has helped with the original problem which is specifying  which NIC should be used for the default network/internet connection....

Seems to me that you keep ignoring this, so here is how you specify what NIC does what, in general, so does require a lot of reading
Ip tables.
Those are used in Linux to specify exactly what traffic gets routed where and how, but are quite a rabbit hole, so i avoided mentioning it since it is very easy to do using the GUI.

More
16 Aug 2023 00:57 #278102 by rodw
Tommy, I'm not ignoring anything. The PC is at work and its a public holiday today. Like you, I assumed this would be simple and used exactly your methods. Whether the fixed IP for Mesa is set up in the  GUI or  the intferfaces file makes no difference. Using the config file lets you set the coalescing for Intel NICs which you can't do in the GUI. This surprised me as its worked with Bookworm before.

I don't want to have this running all the time. I just wanted to work with hardware at my office desk from time to time whether its mesa or ethercat.

I think ethercat is different to a Mesa config because it does not use an IP address or interfere with other network TCP/IP comms. I have not tested but I think ethercat slaves can coexist with normal network hardware (eg. On the normal network). The only way I can get it to work is to disable the ethercat NIC in the GUI.

So yes, its a routing issue and its a long time since I've played with static routes but i've never done it with Linux. I thought it would be easy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.438 seconds