Preparing native Raspberry Pi OS for LinuxCNC

More
27 Feb 2024 06:39 #294579 by cornholio
I installed the kernel using packages & info here
github.com/kdoren/linux/wiki/Installatio...ge-(Raspberry-Pi-OS)

then I used the following to prevent the kernel being upgraded
sudo apt-mark hold linux-image
sudo apt-mark hold linux-headers

reboot
used this
www.linuxcnc.org/linuxcnc-install.sh

then installed linuxcnc-uspace-dev

Seemed to work fine
The following user(s) said Thank You: ago_tm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2024 09:31 #294586 by rodw
If you type sudo menu-config, you should be able to edit your username and password and other settings in a graphical environment. Refer the screen dump in the read.me on my repo.

More
29 Feb 2024 22:55 #294807 by ago_tm
just a brief status of my experiments...

I spent several days trying to setup the feasible VNC server on the Debian 12 LinuxCNC image but unfortunately looks like I can't. The only successful result was reached with x11vnc, but jitter grew up to ~280 μs (280,000 ns) just after I run x11vnc process (even with no connections).

I also tried to install there wayvnc like on raspberry OS, but debian sources contains too old version 0.5xx. On raspberry it is 0.8xx RC and several days ago they released regular 0.8. But I didn't understand how to resolve the dependency hell with all the required packages...

Will try to use Rod's toolchain to prepare the image based on the Raspberry Pi OS — I'm really loved in the way how can I customize all the required packages and appearance before the image has been flashed.

If someone resolved the lightsweight enough VNC server on Debian, I would be pleased to take a look. Thanks,

More
01 Mar 2024 00:04 #294809 by cornholio
Rods tool chain creates a Debian based image, not a Raspberry Pi OS based image. Whilst the are similar there are some differences, you lose some of the customizations that Raspberry Pi Foundation has.
On my Raspberry Pi based image I used this tutorial:
pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-vnc-server/

Can't remember if I checked latency, if I did it doesn't stick in my mind there were any latency issues. One thing I forgot to add is I changed from the wayland backend to the X11 backend using raspi-config. The X11 layer in wayland was very very slow in some of the tests I tried.

More
01 Mar 2024 08:02 #294823 by rodw
You would be better off looking for debian packaged VNC software here packages.debian.org/index
It will tell you if there are ARM64 packages but the way debian works, it builds for all platforms 

More
09 Mar 2024 16:21 #295521 by ago_tm
I created a kind of step by step instruction for the customisation of the RPI Image Builder: github.com/golyakoff/linux-info/blob/mai...Debian12OS/README.md 

Hope I covered the majority of the customization cases in different places of the framework written by rodw.

Please feel free to write your comments :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds