Suggestions for hardware to build EMC

More
18 Dec 2010 03:25 #6124 by hcb
Hey, John, I looked up that motherboard and it's certainly cheap enough but what are you using for a parallel port on it?

Thank you for your time and help.

Merry Christmas.

--HC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2010 07:07 #6127 by ldbenge
Yes sir, iso image>cd
It ended up being speed disc was burned; slowed to 8x
Now I got video card probs; Ubuntu doesnt like any of the 3 cards Ive tried. The screen is either black or flickers almost sending me into a seizure.
It calmed down a bit when I loaded proprietary driver; but Latency Test doesnt look too good
I might just build the Atom rig; but I require 2 COM ports...
1 for torch height control
1 for xyz
What do you suggest?

More
18 Dec 2010 12:58 #6134 by BigJohnT
hcb wrote:

Hey, John, I looked up that motherboard and it's certainly cheap enough but what are you using for a parallel port on it?

Thank you for your time and help.

Merry Christmas.

--HC

You could use it for extra I/O if needed. I'm not using mine atm for anything.

John

More
18 Dec 2010 17:59 #6142 by andypugh
hcb wrote:

It has an onboard parallel port on a header rather than a back panel connector. This is ideal for connection to a Mesa 7i43, and no real problem if you are hard-wiring to equipment in the same box. Otherwise you need a Parallel port header adapter, they are not expensive.
cgi.ebay.com/25pin-Parallel-25pin-Header...t-Plat-/110593994600

More
19 Dec 2010 01:17 #6152 by hcb
Hey, John, thank you for the reply. I had thought the board did NOT have a parallel port at all (a mistake on my part because I looked at the picture and did not see one) so my question was asking what you installed into the system to give it a parallel port, not what you were using it for. Again, it's my fault, I looked at the picture but did not read the technical details about I/O ports. Andy posted after you and pointed out a parallel port adapter for the back panel and pointed out that it has one but on a header which clarified things for me greatly.

I'm sorry for my confusion.

--HC

More
19 Dec 2010 02:10 #6153 by hcb
Andy, thank you for your reply, it clarified things for me. As I posted in response to John, I made a mistake and just looked at the picture of the motherboard, not the description (particularly from Intel's site) which shows it to have a parallel port via header.

I looked at the link to eBay (thank you) and, as it turns out, I have about 10 those things in a box from 1996-1998 when I used to build computers for a company. They look largely the same...except they have a PS2 port on them as well, but on a different cable. Suite!

Thanks again for your post, I made a mistake but you cleared it up.

--HC

Time to create page: 0.298 seconds