Lets get Ethercat into the Linuxcnc distribution. Need technical people to help

More
30 Mar 2022 20:02 - 30 Mar 2022 20:17 #238814 by Grotius
Attached example how to create .deb archives.

For shipping the examples i compressed to tar.gz archive :
To build a tar.gz package : $ tar -czvf archive.tar.gz archive

Step 1. Download attachment and unpack it.
You will get a dir (including subdirs and a few files inside) and a .deb file.

Okey sniff into the testpackage dir and look how the files structure is.
To build a .deb package in topdir : $ sudo dpkg-deb --build testpackage

Then to install : $ sudo dpkg -i testpackage.deb
Terminal output :
  Preparing to unpack testpackage.deb ... 
  Unpacking testpackage (1.0.0) ...
  Setting up testpackage (1.0.0) ...

I am working on a information and guide to install linuxcnc + ethercat for "sparc" architecture.
Now I do not have board with this processor, source of OS and RT-kernel - but will be soon.
+ PS Is it possible to build linuxcnc + ethercat on jetson xavier nx

docs.nvidia.com/jetson/l4t/index.html#pa...ide/flashing.html#-I Pathname of the initrd file. The default value is null.-K Pathname of a kernel image file such as zImage or Image.-L Pathname of a Bootloader such as cboot.bin or u-boot-dtb.bin.
This kind of stuff is also used when construction linux distro's.

I suggest you can install a linux distro at once, or upload the distro in pieces. After that you can install lcnc as usual.
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Mar 2022 20:17 by Grotius.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bkt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2022 20:50 #239584 by bkt
returning on licensig args .... never uderstand why developper abandoned ubuntu for debian .... my opinion was: more strict was the open license more bigger businnes of bigger brands.
A right solution can be qt model licensing .... so lpg2 was enought strict and permit some "businnes exception" like ubuntu do.

So why so hard debian way? why not mint (because ubuntu seems to be not appreciate from dev in general) ..... because not think debian group can change licensing model ...... about fedora ... some industrial dev not love at all ..... why? not know because never use.... anyhow, my time is very little but because ethercat give me more i'm happy to help if i'can in some manner (my ability was little).

About etg group ... essentially was maketing ... so only really advantage was free of use of ethercat logo. Sorry but I'm an admirer of the harsh reality.

As db1981 says .... for distribution based on etherlab master is enought permission of etherlab .... because we are correct person, and we prefer a correct world.

But nobody forbids us to do it all over again adapting it better to lcnc Grotius format .... that can be named GLinuxcnc ;))

regards
bkt

More
07 Apr 2022 23:01 #239611 by rodw
The migration to Debian before my time was due to Ubuntu's lawyers refusing to allow Linuxcnc to distribute ISOs in terms of their license..
It really is academic now to discuss other platforms as all going well in about 5 days Linuxcnc master will be in the Debian Testing branch which will become Bookworm version 12 on the next release.

Ultimately this will mean linuxcnc will end up in Mint and other Debian based distros when they eventually adopt the Bookworm repos. 

So with the IgH Ethercat repos being available and tested as working  by a few now, the only code to compile is Sittner's ethercat driver. So with the patches now in master branch, our efforts should be turned to making it a deb for a truly codeless install and getting it into Debian...
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Unlogic

More
09 Apr 2022 11:09 #239724 by bkt
really ubuntu lawyers moove for that?? ... seems really absurds .... but if they did ... they did.

But you are at the end of work think my help is too late ... or not?

regards

More
09 Apr 2022 11:34 #239726 by rodw
A couple of ways to help.
If you knew how to (or could learn how to) build a deb file, fork sittners repo github.com/sittner/linuxcnc-ethercat and package that in a way it could be included into Linuxcnc or Debian...  I was planning to try to learn how to do this.

I have started on a custom homing module for cia402 drives with sqmathelete. I'm trying to base it on Dominic'a cia402.comp  github.com/dbraun1981/hal-cia402.
We are using then new homecomp user buildable homing modules.
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/man/man9/homecomp.9.html

Its nowhere near working but I put what I've done to date on git hub here earlier today.
github.com/rodw-au/ciahome
We have not added any of the homing stuff yet, just trying to get the rest of the structure right on the cia402 side. Help here would be another avenue to help the cause...

The following user(s) said Thank You: bkt

More
09 Apr 2022 22:55 #239789 by andypugh

really ubuntu lawyers moove for that?? ... seems really absurds

The actual problem was that Ubuntu's conditions changed to require that _all_ Ubuntu branding was removed from a distribution such as ours. But they wouldn't provide any guidance to which files were "branded" so it was basically impossible to comply.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
10 Apr 2022 11:18 - 10 Apr 2022 11:19 #239808 by bkt

ANDYPUGH WROTE
The actual problem was that Ubuntu's conditions changed to require that _all_ Ubuntu branding was removed from a distribution such as ours. But they wouldn't provide any guidance to which files were "branded" so it was basically impossible to comply.

in fact, every three by two only the positions of the logos change .... I guess everything else is worse .... now the situation is clearer to me ... Thanks
Last edit: 10 Apr 2022 11:19 by bkt.

More
10 Apr 2022 11:33 #239810 by bkt
dear Rodw,

For the DEB thing ... in fact it's something that I know how to do only as a 13-year-old child would ... so I have a lot to learn ... but I'd like to do it. So if you have no timeline .... I'm on board.

For the home module, I think I can help better .... but consider that:

to create something very fast (a qt5 c ++ interface) I needed to be addressed by the work of GROTIUS .... and I spent a week 6 hours a day.
On the other hand, feeling guilty with everyone here on the forum, I made a sort of storiboard of the week .... I should finish it ... but not now ...
 The work of Grotius and others recently (the work of dgarret helped me a lot to understand) helped me to "enter" with greater ease "the head of Lcnc" .... if you do not know the files you can do little and with effort.

That said ... the only problem I see is the weather .... the next 3 weeks are out.

After that I make a commitment .... also because as well as serving me it will serve many.

In any case, I have decided that I will post every next thing I do here on the forum .... unless the administrators think I am stealing useful space by posting nonsense.

bkt

More
10 Apr 2022 11:57 #239816 by rodw
See how you go with a deb file. A 13 year old will surely know more than me. :)
I was going to try it but then the homing changes were made in  master...

I have a fair bit of structuring of the homing module and tidying up before its going to be ready for helpers.
And I already have Dan helping me.

I know an IP Lawyer who has done work for me so I will try to get a legal opinion on the copyright/licensing issues of the hal driver.
Maybe he will work pro bono (for free), maybe I might add some compensation into the mix.

More
10 Apr 2022 14:00 - 10 Apr 2022 14:03 #239824 by bkt
I submitted the matter to the forum a couple of times .... and politely I was made to understand that there is no need for money .... now in fact after a long time and after seeing many linux based plc / cnc and linuxcnc ..... obviously this is all a baseless fantasy .... but for example companies like om .... om .... I am convinced that linux drivers are not the real source of income seen that in any case all start from the open ..... but they are the programming and user interfaces ..... so in conclusion I think it is everyone's gain to work on the "heart" ... drivers etc etc .... in edible way .... so that in the end the advantage does not go only to the usual big suspects, but can also be exploited by the small and not at all known ..... after all this is not the purpose of open sources ... make the software usable ?? and why instead in the last 20 years it has been done so that open sources have been exploited much more by multinationals than by small ones ????? that's why from now on I will publish everything that is not interfaces and consequent ..... if you think about it there is very little patentable in the drives and in the core ... so better spread as much as possible in order to spread the advantages as much as possible and thus limit the "subjection" of the big names. Do not you think??

In the end, isn't the ethercat we use a great example? They have limited themselves to the hardware and leave the market to third parties.

Others, on the other hand, take and then do not give ... on the contrary they oblige to give more and more ..... for this reason I have never liked version 3 of the open licenses.

However I understand that in some areas version 3 makes sense .... but in ours it is the classic weapon that backfires tio.

But these is OT .... so sorry .... only would explain my opinion on licensing and how can be licensing and why not the other.

regards
bkt
Last edit: 10 Apr 2022 14:03 by bkt.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds