I have an Atomstack A5 M30 - brand new to Linuxcnc - LOST

More
04 Jul 2022 19:55 #246597 by tbertw
Hi, I have an Atomstack A5 M30 and I would like to use linuxcnc on an old Toshiba Laptop. I have the LinuxCNC 2.8 installed and I cannot figure out the configuration questions.

Can someone help a newbie?

Tim Spring, TX

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2022 17:47 #246668 by Niko
Could you be more specific ?
Do you intend to use ethercat , and what stage are you at ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tbertw

More
06 Jul 2022 02:37 #246691 by tbertw
I think I need a linux version of a g code sender. I can create the gcode in LaserGRBL in Windows 10. I just want to go outside beyond the reach of my windows 10 computer to escape the smoke. I have some linux laptops that I can take to my shop.

Does this help?
Tim

More
06 Jul 2022 05:13 #246697 by Niko
Not much .
A bit more on the machine, your end goal, are you retrofitting it with Linuxcnc, will it have any ethercat drives .
Is this just to run the machine from a distance ?

More
06 Jul 2022 16:28 #246731 by tbertw
Thanks for your reply. This discussion has forced me to analyze the situation and express what I need more accurately. So thanks for all the replies.

Linux CNC seems to me as a complete NOVICE as an application that literally interacts directly with the controllers and causes tool movements, etc. I don't think I need all of this detailed control. GRBL is supposed to take care of all that for me.

I have a 3D printer and a CNC 3018 converted to a CNC 3040. All of these are GRBL driven. The software I use is mostly Inkscape to do the graphics then "Easel" to create the G-Code. Then the gcode is sent to the controller on the CNC 4040 and it drives the rotating tool to carve the work piece. My new Atomstack also uses GRBL to controll the laser movement from G Code. My cursory analysis of the "laser" process is that the movement of the tool and tool intensity (power on the laser and rotational speed on the mill spindle) have different sequences when movement interacts with power changes. So in reality, I need a simple program that will run on Linux to feed G-Code to the Atomstack. I need to run the Laser out side of my second floor office so I don't fill the house with smoke from the laser playing with the wood fibers. (Wives can be fussy about things like this!).

I know that I can take my CNC 3040 and mount a laser on the same carriage and it will "etch / cut" the workpiece just by powering off the spindle and powering on the laser. In retrospect, that is what I should have DONE!!! I bot the Atomstack because it has a LARGE area for the work piece. It came with a different GRBL controller. I do not know what the differences are. I will start that research today.

Anyway, the catharsis of this exchange has been beneficial, even tho we appear to be speaking different languages to each other .

More
06 Jul 2022 18:17 #246743 by tommylight
LinuxCNC is am machine controller so you are correct.
Inkscape can output gcode on it's own, even for lasers. 2D or so called 2.5D only.
There are several free gcode senders for GRBL that run on Linux, just do a search.
LightBurn has a limited free version for Linux also.
Since you already have other machines running GRBL, better stick to it, LinuxCNC does not play nice through USB for machine control.

More
07 Jul 2022 06:29 #246780 by Niko
An additional thought . It sound like the easiest solution would be to just use a remote client .
One PC in the workshop with all the smoke, the other near you .

More
12 Jul 2022 12:01 #247132 by andypugh
I think that the answer here might be Octoprint.
Attach a Raspberry Pi to each machine, then interact and send G-code via the web interface. (and monitor progress with the web cam)

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds