oracle VM7 question

More
18 Nov 2022 10:05 - 18 Nov 2022 10:40 #257021 by bkt
oracle VM7 question was created by bkt
Before to make some damage ... is possible to run an oracle VM 7 on my SO mint19 with etherlab master installed or can have some problem if consent tu run VM on 1 core only (I5 6500) for example core 4? these for run a vm with windows installed on ... sorry RT-4.19

regards
Last edit: 18 Nov 2022 10:40 by bkt. Reason: adding info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2022 10:39 #257026 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic oracle VM7 question
LinuxCNC and Linux Mint can be run on a VM, but not for hardware control.
To run a machine LinuxCNC requires direct access to hardware, so VM does not work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bkt

More
18 Nov 2022 10:44 - 18 Nov 2022 11:37 #257027 by bkt
Replied by bkt on topic oracle VM7 question
ok but problem here is inverse .... linux mint works perfect .... need to run windows on VM and linux mint on pc ..... but we find vt-x disabled on all cpu messages every time .... on boot I select vm eneble mode .... but think at these time is preemtion need to be modify for permit vm tecnoligy (during installation) almost on one core .... ask if these can be a problem or not ....

Expalin me better: I run linux mint + linuxcnc than need to run vm. On vm start windows 8.1 or 10
If set VM tecnology during rt-preempt installation on one core only can have some problem?

thanks a lot
Last edit: 18 Nov 2022 11:37 by bkt.

More
21 Nov 2022 12:17 #257207 by bkt
Replied by bkt on topic oracle VM7 question
Ok ... after a lot of test was unable to run VM on my mint preempt ethercat SO .... but problem was not related to linuxcnc and ethercat .... despite the disastrous installs and uninstalls I've done both continue to work fine ... in any case from what I've seen the 4.13-rt header files don't go very well with virtualization so they don't make things easy .. .. I plan to solve with a more updated distribution and kernel .... never start windows in these mint (sob !!)

More
22 Nov 2022 23:11 #257393 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic oracle VM7 question
I think that the realtime kernels disable some virtualisation features that perhaps your VM environment relies on.

It is possible that you might be able to configure the virtualisation application to not try to use these.

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds