Getting (hopefully) close to an Rtelligent build

More
21 Jan 2024 00:11 #291229 by farmer_mike
Hi, this is my first post. I've learned quite a bit from rodw, Hakan, and a bunch of other helpful posts.

I am trying to figure out the LinuxCNC part of a build that would use RS400E servo drives, an ECT86 closed loop stepper drive, and maybe an RTEC1616. I don't have the Rtelligent hardware, as I would like to figure out the LinuxCNC part first. I have a couple of questions, but I will start with the steps I have taken so far.

1) I installed rodw's image from this post and followed the instructions in the readme file
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...cnc-x86-only?start=0

2) The readme file took me to the bottom of the first post in this thread forum.linuxcnc.org/ethercat/45336-etherc...-how-to-step-by-step

2a) I believe Ethercat is running. Here is a picture.

3) Then I followed these steps:cd ~/dev
git clone github.com/dbraun1981/hal-cia402
cd hal-cia402
sudo halcompile --install cia402.comp

Which I tested with the following results

4) At this point, things started to go off the rails. I followed the instructions at the following link
github.com/rodw-au/linuxcnc-cia402/tree/main
And finished these instructions by installing the cia402 configuration with the following commands

cd ~/linuxcnc/configs
git clone  github.com/rodw-au/linuxcnc-cia402
Open Linuxcnc and select cia402.hal

5) I opened LinuxCNC and chose the cia402 configuration, which led to the following error report (attached as linuxcnc1.txt)

6) I took a shot at fixing a problem by changing line 14 of cia402.hal from
loadusr -W ./lcec_conf ethercat-conf.xml
to
loadusr -W lcec_conf ethercat-conf.xml

which generated the following error report (attached as linuxcnc2.txt)

Questions: Before I spend big bucks on hardware, I'd like to get as ready as possible. I understand that the xml file will have to change to match the hardware, and I have drafted a new xml file for the RS400E servos. Are the errors I am seeing being caused by the lack of hardware? Is there anything else I can do (or fix) to get LinuxCNC ready for hardware?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2024 00:20 #291231 by rodw
First, you need to run linuxcnc from the command line to get better error checking
But if you look at the error message, a pin is not found.
I think if you review my xml file, it also includes a rtelligent I/O module as slave 3.
That is whre the missing pin error is coming from.
Of course its misisng, you haeve not bought one yet!

So you can't really go any further until you have the hardware.

More
04 Feb 2024 02:53 #292353 by farmer_mike
I bought an ECT 60 kit off of Aliexpress so that I could dip my toe. Everything was pretty straightforward, and I was able to get it running right away. I haven't done any scaling or homing, but the jogging was easy. It's neat to see the position change on the user interface when I rotate the motor shaft by hand.

I will attach my files and link a video of the results below:
streamable.com/0uvbl4

Attachments:

Time to create page: 1.241 seconds