EasyCAT Arduino shield

More
28 Mar 2024 09:38 #296975 by zmrdko
Replied by zmrdko on topic EasyCAT Arduino shield
For me, I don't need them. But if you want, I can add analog read and write.
But it would a little more difficult to configure, since every analog value has to have its own PDO.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2024 10:52 #296981 by blazini36
Replied by blazini36 on topic EasyCAT Arduino shield

But it would a little more difficult to configure, since every analog value has to have its own PDO.

Well it was a pretty good idea to port this to EtherCAT, I'm sure plenty of people who might use it would want to use analog inputs.

ArduinoConnector has some inherent issues with the way it handles the serial data on the Python side. I made custom PCBs for my control panel and once I got it going I noticed massive lag when spinning an MPG relatively fast, even just turning on an output had some noticeable lag. And this is with a 600mhz Teensy as the controller. The lag only exists on the LinuxCNC side reading the HAL pins, there's no lag on the serial output itself to a terminal.

It's alot easier for me to take a different route with hardware than it is to deal with software issues. I just started working on a new version of my PCB using an STM32 and a LAN9252 for EtherCAT. An Arduino + shield doesn't really work out for what I'm trying to do. I haven't reallly dove into configuring EtherCAT for LinuxCNC yet, but I'll get there.

More
28 Mar 2024 11:40 #296987 by meister
Replied by meister on topic EasyCAT Arduino shield

I'm interested in how you go with the Mikroe EtherCat Click and RIO

I have no idea how to do this yet, I'm not familiar with EtherCat,
but I find it interesting.

More
29 Mar 2024 07:24 #297067 by zmrdko

Well it was a pretty good idea to port this to EtherCAT, I'm sure plenty of people who might use it would want to use analog inputs.

ArduinoConnector has some inherent issues with the way it handles the serial data on the Python side. I made custom PCBs for my control panel and once I got it going I noticed massive lag when spinning an MPG relatively fast, even just turning on an output had some noticeable lag. And this is with a 600mhz Teensy as the controller. The lag only exists on the LinuxCNC side reading the HAL pins, there's no lag on the serial output itself to a terminal.

It's alot easier for me to take a different route with hardware than it is to deal with software issues. I just started working on a new version of my PCB using an STM32 and a LAN9252 for EtherCAT. An Arduino + shield doesn't really work out for what I'm trying to do. I haven't reallly dove into configuring EtherCAT for LinuxCNC yet, but I'll get there.

well I don't know if its really porting. The communication itself is very different. I copied the style of configuring pins and debouncing signal.

More
29 Mar 2024 08:07 #297068 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic EasyCAT Arduino shield
I had to re-read this from the beginning. :)
Some analog inputs would be very cool.
Also, an interrupt driven MPG counter input would be very useful.
Analogs and MPG's start becoming expensive with ethercat.

More
29 Mar 2024 08:44 #297072 by Hakan
Replied by Hakan on topic EasyCAT Arduino shield
I have been working on an EtherCAT device for some time. Don't want to derail this thread from the original topic, but start here if you are interested github.com/MetalMusings/MyOwnEtherCATDevice
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw, cakeslob, zmrdko

More
31 Mar 2024 10:10 #297267 by zmrdko

I had to re-read this from the beginning. :)
Some analog inputs would be very cool.
Also, an interrupt driven MPG counter input would be very useful.
Analogs and MPG's start becoming expensive with ethercat.

I don't actually know what is interrupt driven MPG, but I have mpg working. The counting happens in arduino using Encoder arduino library and I am using interrupt pins 2,3 and it works nice.

I can add analog in and out, but it can not be configured as easily as digital pins.

More
31 Mar 2024 14:13 #297284 by blazini36
Replied by blazini36 on topic EasyCAT Arduino shield

zmrdko post=297267 userid=34234

I don't actually know what is interrupt driven MPG, but I have mpg working. The counting happens in arduino using Encoder arduino library and I am using interrupt pins 2,3 and it works nice.

I can add analog in and out, but it can not be configured as easily as digital pins.

"Interrupt driven" MPG is probably exactly what you have as long as you're using Interrupt capable pins on the Arduino, pretty sure the Arduino encoder library sorts that out. Otherwise you would use GPIO pins with that library that don't have interrupts and aren't as good at catching the MPG pulses. The other type would be hardware timer based encoders, which I'm pretty sure that library wouldn't handle as that's a microcontroller peripheral, but it's probably overkill for an MPG 

More
01 Apr 2024 08:19 #297345 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic EasyCAT Arduino shield

zmrdko post=297267 userid=34234

"Interrupt driven" MPG is probably exactly what you have as long as you're using Interrupt capable pins on the Arduino, pretty sure the Arduino encoder library sorts that out. 

X 2. When a signal is sensed on the interrupt enabled pins, an Interrupt Service Routine (ISR) is called. This allows quite high peformance on Arduino Hardware without resorting to loops.

More
02 Apr 2024 11:06 #297429 by meister
Replied by meister on topic EasyCAT Arduino shield
since i don't want to open a new thread, i'll just ask here:

I have now received my Ethercat Click and I am wondering
if it is possible to control several motors with one EtherCat client ?

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds