How do I get Linux CNC to open G Code?

More
18 Jan 2020 04:18 #155091 by PhilCNC
I generated some G-code using Fusion 360 and LinuxCNC doesn't seem to be able to open it. Some of the default software that comes with LinuxCNC doesn't open as well. I really have no idea why this is happening. Any help is appreciated. The error messages are varied. Sometimes it complains about having the : sometimes it's a starting point of an arc error. I've tried deleting the letters and symbols that cause the errors but it doesn't help. I've tried to look at G-code that works and base my troubleshooting off that. Is there any helpful forum posts or youtube videos I should look into to help me better understand G-Code? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2020 07:49 #155093 by RotarySMP
Did you use Wordpad to edit the .ngc file? It puts in hidden special characters. Use Texteditor if using windows.
Mark

More
18 Jan 2020 14:50 #155097 by Todd Zuercher
Many of the default configurations in Linuxcnc point to Gedit as the default text editor. Gedit is part of the Gnome desktop. The problem with installing Gedit is that it will also install most of Gnome with it. You can change your Linuxcnc config to use any other text editor by editing your ini file.

As for the arc error that is usually due to a setting problem in your cam program. Increasing the precision for the arc centers usually takes care of it.

More
18 Jan 2020 16:26 #155102 by Leon82
I use pluma on stretch, seems to work okay

More
18 Jan 2020 21:11 #155114 by tommylight
Attach or write the error messages, please.
Notice the OP says it does not open included Linuxcnc "software" ? If that means it does not open included gcode files, most of them are for special purposes like lathe, mill, 5 axis, so most of them will not open with a normal config.
If that means the configs are not working, what are the errors ?
Start with what does
uname -a
say ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: PhilCNC

More
18 Jan 2020 21:48 #155116 by PhilCNC
Thanks to everyone who has taken their time to help me. Here is the solution. When using the post processing tool on Fusion 360, Always be sure that Fusion saves the G code with the .ngc file extension. For some reason the first time I tried post processing with Fusion the file format was saved with the .nc file extension. Everything works flawlessly with the right file extension.

Hey RotarySMP thanks for the advice about word pad. I honestly never would have thought. I'm still in the learning phase, but overall I am really starting to enjoy using LinuxCNC over Windows and Mach3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
18 Jan 2020 22:39 #155117 by Mike_Eitel
You can add easily a line in your xxxx. INI file to add additinal extention
PROGRAM_EXTENSION = .NC XYZ Post Processor

See linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/config/ini-config.html Section FILTER
Mike

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds